Telecom Xtra Email

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Captain Crotchrot, Dec 17, 2010.

  1. Hulloo,

    Just wondering...

    Any of you running Vista 64bit and clients of Telecom's Xtra ISP
    service, and having trouble getting your emails down just now
    (17/12/10)? I am. Emails can be sent but not received.

    The only change made to this machine recently was the usual weekly
    Vista updates from MS. They were installed yesterday. Email was
    working just fine prior to that.

    Have tried contacting telecom's Xtra Helpdesk but all I got was a sexy
    female robot who said they had a heavy workload and put me in the
    queue - and left me there for 20 minutes before the phone went 'BEEP
    BEEP BEEP' ad infinitum. Stood up by a robot - how bad can it get!!!

    Just want to know if other Vista/Xtra users are similarly affected.
    Either one of the latest Vista OS updates has cocked up the email
    system on this machine, or Xtra's POP3 server is on the blink.

    Have checked the email settings this end and all looks just fine.
    Nothing has changed.

    So, how is it for you?

    Cheerio, Crotchrot

    Captain Crotchrot, Dec 17, 2010

  2. Captain Crotchrot

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <fd10624a-7c09-401c-9f72-
    >, ,
    Captain Crotchrot says...

    > Hulloo,
    >
    > Just wondering...
    >
    > Any of you running Vista 64bit and clients of Telecom's Xtra ISP
    > service, and having trouble getting your emails down just now
    > (17/12/10)? I am. Emails can be sent but not received.
    >
    > The only change made to this machine recently was the usual weekly
    > Vista updates from MS. They were installed yesterday. Email was
    > working just fine prior to that.
    >
    > Have tried contacting telecom's Xtra Helpdesk but all I got was a sexy
    > female robot who said they had a heavy workload and put me in the
    > queue - and left me there for 20 minutes before the phone went 'BEEP
    > BEEP BEEP' ad infinitum. Stood up by a robot - how bad can it get!!!
    >
    > Just want to know if other Vista/Xtra users are similarly affected.
    > Either one of the latest Vista OS updates has cocked up the email
    > system on this machine, or Xtra's POP3 server is on the blink.
    >
    > Have checked the email settings this end and all looks just fine.
    > Nothing has changed.
    >
    > So, how is it for you?

    I doubt it's you. 3 folk today have been getting my emails and replying
    to them all using Win7/64bit - 2 x Outlook, 1 x Live Mail. One of the
    user's uses the 'standard' settings, the others use the secure port
    setup.

    Install the telnet client and test ...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196748

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Dec 17, 2010

  3. On Dec 17, 11:08 pm, Captain Crotchrot <>
    wrote:
    > Hulloo,
    >
    > Just wondering...
    >
    > Any of you running Vista 64bit and clients of Telecom's Xtra ISP
    > service, and having trouble getting your emails down just now
    > (17/12/10)? I am. Emails can be sent but not received.
    >
    > The only change made to this machine recently was the usual weekly
    > Vista updates from MS. They were installed yesterday. Email was
    > working just fine prior to that.
    >
    > Have tried contacting telecom's Xtra Helpdesk but all I got was a sexy
    > female robot who said they had a heavy workload and put me in the
    > queue - and left me there for 20 minutes before the phone went 'BEEP
    > BEEP BEEP' ad infinitum. Stood up by a robot - how bad can it get!!!
    >
    > Just want to know if other Vista/Xtra users are similarly affected.
    > Either one of the latest Vista OS updates has cocked up the email
    > system on this machine, or Xtra's POP3 server is on the blink.
    >
    > Have checked the email settings this end and all looks just fine.
    > Nothing has changed.
    >
    > So, how is it for you?
    >
    > Cheerio, Crotchrot

    Hulloo again, Folks

    Update: This glitch is indeed caused by one of the latest Vista
    updates. Specifically the KB2412171 update for Outlook 2007.

    For anyone interested, just Google 'KB2412171' for a slew relevant of
    threads worldwide.

    The Outlook crew are working on a fix. If you can't wait for that,
    visit the following site for uninstall instructions.

    http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

    I've since uninstalled that particular update and everything is back
    to normal.

    Cheerio, Crotchrot

    Captain Crotchrot, Dec 17, 2010
  4. Captain Crotchrot

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-12-17, Captain Crotchrot <> wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 11:08 pm, Captain Crotchrot <>
    > wrote:

    [snip]

    > Update: This glitch is indeed caused by one of the latest Vista
    > updates. Specifically the KB2412171 update for Outlook 2007.
    >
    > For anyone interested, just Google 'KB2412171' for a slew relevant of
    > threads worldwide.
    >
    > The Outlook crew are working on a fix.

    Chalk please. Ms Soft is working on it, now?

    > http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

    Love those web site names.

    Gordon, Dec 18, 2010
  5. Captain Crotchrot

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 04:18:07 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2010-12-17, Captain Crotchrot <> wrote:
    >> On Dec 17, 11:08 pm, Captain Crotchrot <>
    >> wrote:

    > [snip]
    >

    >> Update: This glitch is indeed caused by one of the latest Vista
    >> updates. Specifically the KB2412171 update for Outlook 2007.
    >>
    >> For anyone interested, just Google 'KB2412171' for a slew relevant of
    >> threads worldwide.
    >>
    >> The Outlook crew are working on a fix.

    > Chalk please. Ms Soft is working on it, now?
    >

    >> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tips/2412171.html

    > Love those web site names.

    Lawyers, it seems, actually use the advanced features in office
    productivity suites. This is why lawyers generally settled on using
    WordPerfect. Certainly that was the case in the USA.

    MS for years was only rarely used by legal firms and MS therefore had to
    resort to what it knew best how to do with competitors - embrace, extend,
    extinguish.

    Sweetpea, Dec 18, 2010
  6. Captain Crotchrot

    Enkidu Guest

    On 18/12/10 20:04, Sweetpea wrote:

    > Lawyers, it seems, actually use the advanced features in office
    > productivity suites. This is why lawyers generally settled on using
    > WordPerfect. Certainly that was the case in the USA.
    >
    > MS for years was only rarely used by legal firms and MS therefore had to
    > resort to what it knew best how to do with competitors - embrace, extend,
    > extinguish.

    Actually whoever owned Word Perfect at the time everyone was switching
    to Windows versions of programs dropped the ball. People still talk
    about how good WP5 was. The first version of WP for Windows was sooooooo
    bad it killed WP. And it was late. MS had Word for Windows out well
    before WP for Windows arrived on the scene.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Dec 18, 2010
  7. Captain Crotchrot

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Dec 18, 11:03 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >The first version of WP for Windows was sooooooo
    > bad it killed WP. And it was late. MS had Word for Windows out well
    > before WP for Windows arrived on the scene.

    Yes, I have to agree. My wife tried to write a school history in WP
    for Windows - one level of undo just sometimes undid the bugs, but
    more frequently just crashed. We gave up and went to Word, and stayed
    there.

    Then there was the WP for Windows magazine. Someone wrote in asking
    how to reproduce an effect from a page in the last addition. They had
    to admit "although our jounalists use WP for Windows for most things
    (yeah right), we actually publish using Quark on Macs..."

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Dec 20, 2010
  8. Captain Crotchrot

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:21:46 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Which makes sense. WP isn't designed for pre-press in the way Quark is.
    > It doesn't deal with colour separations, trapping, CMYK, spot colour of
    > the other things required for pre-press.

    WP - like all word processors - is for typing letters. Quark, and
    Pagemaker, et al., are designed for typesetting publications of all
    manner and type from calling-cards, to simple hand-bills to pamphlets,
    magazines, and books, all the way up to very large multi-volume
    encyclopedias.

    Sweetpea, Dec 21, 2010