Telecom will not have to unbundle local loop - Swain

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, May 19, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew, May 19, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    ardz Guest

    ardz, May 19, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    Just read it before I saw your post.

    What a crock of shit!!!

    So I still have to pay my telephone line rental to Telescum and since I
    live just outside Albany and don't have continuous copper from the
    exchange to the house I'm unlikely to get broadband anytime soon. Can't
    wait til the new house is built and I'm back in an area with some other
    options.

    SNOman, May 19, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    steve Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    > Just read it before I saw your post.
    >
    > What a crock of shit!!!
    >
    > So I still have to pay my telephone line rental to Telescum and since I
    > live just outside Albany and don't have continuous copper from the
    > exchange to the house I'm unlikely to get broadband anytime soon. Can't
    > wait til the new house is built and I'm back in an area with some other
    > options.

    Agreed. It sucks.

    But it could havce been worse. Maurice Williamson might have been the
    Minister under a National-lead government....and we would have the
    do-nothing approach and no telecommunications commissioner at all.

    It's small progress.....but the Jetstream 256k "Surf" option isn't a bad
    option compared to what we have had to put up with until now....and we
    would not have had it without pressure from the Govt....

    (Trying to keep this in perspective......*sigh*.)

    steve, May 19, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    SNOman Guest

    steve wrote:

    > SNOman wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    >> Just read it before I saw your post.
    >>
    >> What a crock of shit!!!
    >>
    >> So I still have to pay my telephone line rental to Telescum and since
    >> I live just outside Albany and don't have continuous copper from the
    >> exchange to the house I'm unlikely to get broadband anytime soon.
    >> Can't wait til the new house is built and I'm back in an area with
    >> some other options.

    > Agreed. It sucks.
    >
    > But it could havce been worse. Maurice Williamson might have been the
    > Minister under a National-lead government....and we would have the
    > do-nothing approach and no telecommunications commissioner at all.
    >
    > It's small progress.....but the Jetstream 256k "Surf" option isn't a bad
    > option compared to what we have had to put up with until now....and we
    > would not have had it without pressure from the Govt....

    I still don't have/can't get it

    SNOman, May 19, 2004
  6. Chris Mayhew

    colinco Guest

    In article <40aab1ea$>, says...
    > Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    Unbundling might have produced cheaper but somebody will have to replace
    the existing copper to deliver some of the fantasy speeds that the MED
    and others dream of.

    Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    colinco, May 19, 2004
  7. Chris Mayhew

    JedMeister Guest

    JedMeister, May 19, 2004
  8. Chris Mayhew

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Carl Elphick, May 19, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    Guess pretty much the only choice left for NZ to get this done is making it
    an Election issue.
    We know now Labour won't do it, National won't do it, who is left that will?

    Carl Elphick, May 19, 2004
  10. Carl Elphick wrote:
    > Guess pretty much the only choice left for NZ to get this done is making it
    > an Election issue.
    > We know now Labour won't do it, National won't do it, who is left that will?

    The national Geek party, led by none other than me :)

    kidding... but it was proposed a while back.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2004
  11. Chris Mayhew

    steve Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article <40aab1ea$>, says...
    >
    >>Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    > Unbundling might have produced cheaper but somebody will have to replace
    > the existing copper to deliver some of the fantasy speeds that the MED
    > and others dream of.
    >
    > Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    Not driven by competition....it won't.

    steve, May 19, 2004
  12. Chris Mayhew

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "steve" <steve@mozilla-thunderbird0.6.org.nz> wrote in message

    > But it could havce been worse. Maurice Williamson might have been the
    > Minister under a National-lead government....and we would have the
    > do-nothing approach and no telecommunications commissioner at all.

    You fucking softcock. It's a shithouse decision, but you're in denial about
    who made it.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    "Personally i think you're a fucking idiot"

    Mr Scebe, May 19, 2004
  13. Chris Mayhew

    geoffm Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:43:52 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >Unbundling might have produced cheaper but somebody will have to replace
    >the existing copper to deliver some of the fantasy speeds that the MED
    >and others dream of.
    >
    >Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    Why - with no competition to force Telecom to actually do somehting
    about it, they won't bother. THa tis why the copper is run down in
    many parts anyway - no maintenance = big profits for shareholders and
    bonuses for execs.
    Geoff

    geoffm, May 19, 2004
  14. On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:56:25 +1200, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    I haven't seen this, butr I know that there have been arguments pointing
    to the fact that "it works in the UK", etc.

    It doesn't work in the UK and moves are now afoot there to force BT to
    unbundle everywhere.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 19, 2004
  15. On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:40:21 +0200, Uncle StoatWarbler
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:56:25 +1200, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    >I haven't seen this, butr I know that there have been arguments pointing
    >to the fact that "it works in the UK", etc.
    >
    >It doesn't work in the UK and moves are now afoot there to force BT to
    >unbundle everywhere.

    If the UK can't do it how can NZ...?

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 19, 2004
  16. geoffm wrote:
    >>Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    > Why - with no competition to force Telecom to actually do somehting
    > about it, they won't bother. THa tis why the copper is run down in
    > many parts anyway - no maintenance = big profits for shareholders and
    > bonuses for execs.

    From a business perspective, this kinda makes sense... get the profits
    out and run down the gear until the govt forces you to give it up to
    everyone else.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2004
  17. > >
    > > Unbundling might have produced cheaper but somebody will have to replace
    > > the existing copper to deliver some of the fantasy speeds that the MED
    > > and others dream of.
    > >
    > > Without unbundling the replacement may happen sooner.

    > Not driven by competition....it won't.

    So Swain says let the competition install their own copper,
    if they can do it better & cheaper then the market is working...

    I'll sing another chorus:
    they unbundled the copper for electricity cos. pdq

    J.Random Luser, May 19, 2004
  18. Chris Mayhew

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    J.Random Luser <> expelled:

    > So Swain says let the competition install their own copper,
    > if they can do it better & cheaper then the market is working...
    >
    > I'll sing another chorus:
    > they unbundled the copper for electricity cos. pdq

    And that has been one big fsck up after another. They're now threatening
    the electricity industry with regulation, adding taxes to prop them up and
    doing everything short of admitting that it's been a total failure.

    I'd *like* to believe that LLU would be an improvement, and I think in the
    short term it might be. However at present where Telecom has a guaranteed
    monopoly some upgrades aren't happening (and they probably aren't
    commecially viable anyway) - introduce competition (with it's inherently
    lower profits and spread of those profits across several providers) and
    nobody is going to want to build *any* replacement infrastructure that does
    not make *them* a profit. IMO LLU will fsck rural NZ for even basic
    telecoms infrastructure quite quickly - will anyone want to pay to upgrade a
    local loop for 10 subscribers spread across different service providers?

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, May 19, 2004
  19. Chris Mayhew

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    in says...
    > I'll sing another chorus:
    > they unbundled the copper for electricity cos. pdq

    Because for the average user electricity is 230V 50Hz from any supplier.
    I haven't noticed my power price dropping.

    colinco, May 19, 2004
  20. Chris Mayhew

    Mutlley Guest

    SNOman <> wrote:

    >Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> Posted 30 minutes ago:
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3567355

    >Just read it before I saw your post.
    >
    >What a crock of shit!!!
    >
    >So I still have to pay my telephone line rental to Telescum and since I
    >live just outside Albany and don't have continuous copper from the
    >exchange to the house I'm unlikely to get broadband anytime soon. Can't
    >wait til the new house is built and I'm back in an area with some other
    >options.

    Don't see how that would change under LLU unless someone puts a DSLAM
    in your street.

    Mutlley, May 20, 2004