telecom white pages cancelation warning

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paul Bealing, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Hi all

    I've just discovered that if you want to cancel an "additional service"
    listing such as an email address and cell phone listing in the white
    pages do it now.

    Generally it's not something you think about until the bill arrives. By
    then it's too late. If you call them up to cancel it, they won't cancel
    the account claiming to bill after the book has been produced.

    Another example of extortion by Telecom and Yellow Pages.

    They could at least send out the account in time to make changes or cancel.
    I guess if they did that they would have to deal with more cancellations
    than changes. Better keep it a secret and then hit you will the bill.

    It's likely that when you agreed to the additional service; probably
    years ago; you didn't realise that you could not cancel without incuring
    an additional years charges.

    My advice:
    Use another service provider if at all possible.
    Stay well away from Telecom and associated companies.

    Now I should bill Yellow Pages for the 15 minutes I spent waiting for
    Telecom to tell me that they can't help and need to transfer me to
    Yellow Pages and the 10 minutes while I was transfered around Yellow Pages.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing, Nov 28, 2004

  2. > Generally it's not something you think about until the bill arrives. By
    > then it's too late. If you call them up to cancel it, they won't cancel
    > the account claiming to bill after the book has been produced.
    > Another example of extortion by Telecom and Yellow Pages.

    Telecom's policy on yellow pages advertising for *many years* now has
    been the assumption of a roll over for the advert.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Paul Bealing

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:40:04 +1300, Paul Bealing wrote:

    > Generally it's not something you think about until the bill arrives. By
    > then it's too late. If you call them up to cancel it, they won't cancel
    > the account claiming to bill after the book has been produced.
    >
    > Another example of extortion by Telecom and Yellow Pages.

    You have requested a service, they are delivering it so whats the problem
    in paying?

    Gordon, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Gordon wrote:
    >>Generally it's not something you think about until the bill arrives. By
    >>then it's too late. If you call them up to cancel it, they won't cancel
    >>the account claiming to bill after the book has been produced.
    >>Another example of extortion by Telecom and Yellow Pages.

    > You have requested a service, they are delivering it so whats the problem
    > in paying?

    I was going to comment on that one too...
    I bet he'd be pissed off if his ISP cancelled his account ans said,
    "well you never specifiec that you wanted to be connected more than a month"

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:40:04 +1300, Paul Bealing wrote:
    >

    >>Generally it's not something you think about until the bill arrives. By
    >>then it's too late. If you call them up to cancel it, they won't cancel
    >>the account claiming to bill after the book has been produced.
    >>
    >>Another example of extortion by Telecom and Yellow Pages.

    > You have requested a service, they are delivering it so whats the problem
    > in paying?

    Hello Gordon

    I don't disagree that I did requested a service, but now my requirements
    have changed. Telecom standard operating procedure makes things
    difficult and forces you to pay extra for something you no longer want.
    You could also be stuck with a years incorrect listing.

    People should be aware that it's more expensive and harder than it needs
    to be to stay ahead these things without it costing extra.

    I wouldn't have a problem if I was given a choice. The thing that bugs
    me is that they reprint the white pages with no notification and THEN
    bill me for the additions.

    It would be better for the customer if they sent out the invoice saying
    something like: "we're reprinting in 3 or 6 months - this is how your
    listing will appear - do you want to change anything - you owe us
    $xx.xx". If you don't reply they reprint and wait for the payment.

    I'd be surprised if many people start the day thinking "I'll have to
    check my phone book listing; it may need updating".

    No; Telecom in their wisdom send you a bill one day saying too late you
    owe us $54.

    I think a few years back they used to send out a reminder notice,
    probably to allow for updates etc. I guess it prompted too many
    cancellations.

    If they used to send out prior warning and no longer do, then it
    shouldn't be problem they've gone ahead and printed the book with
    something I no longer want.

    I can understand why the guy on the help desk is a bit grumpy. He
    probably spends all day dealing with pissed off customers. Not a job I
    could do.

    I'll reluctantly pay the $54 but I hope it's the last $ they get from
    me. The second cellphone contract ends this month so we'll swap it for
    another Vodaphone.

    In dealing with Telecom, be careful.
    Better still, don't.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Paul Bealing

    Richard Guest

    Paul Bealing wrote:

    > I don't disagree that I did requested a service, but now my requirements
    > have changed. Telecom standard operating procedure makes things
    > difficult and forces you to pay extra for something you no longer want.
    > You could also be stuck with a years incorrect listing.
    >
    > People should be aware that it's more expensive and harder than it needs
    > to be to stay ahead these things without it costing extra.
    >
    > I wouldn't have a problem if I was given a choice. The thing that bugs
    > me is that they reprint the white pages with no notification and THEN
    > bill me for the additions.

    They have printed a new phonebook every year since they invented telephones, so
    why would they assume that you were not aware of this? Its like subscribing to a
    news paper, and then having them call every week to see if you were going to
    want to get it the next week.

    They have also had newspaper adverts and radio adds that I heard about the
    closeoff date for listings coming up soon.

    You would have also recieved a bill stuffer with your bill about it coming up soon.

    This no notification thing is completely false

    > I'll reluctantly pay the $54 but I hope it's the last $ they get from
    > me. The second cellphone contract ends this month so we'll swap it for
    > another Vodaphone.
    >
    > In dealing with Telecom, be careful.
    > Better still, don't.

    Im sorry, while I would agree with that for other things, in this case they are
    quite right, you agreed to a renewal of the listing when you got it, its not up
    to them to handhold you thru the process of cancelling it.

    Richard, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > They have printed a new phonebook every year since they invented
    > telephones, so why would they assume that you were not aware of this?
    > Its like subscribing to a news paper, and then having them call every
    > week to see if you were going to want to get it the next week.
    >
    > They have also had newspaper adverts and radio adds that I heard about
    > the closeoff date for listings coming up soon.
    >
    > You would have also recieved a bill stuffer with your bill about it
    > coming up soon.
    >
    > This no notification thing is completely false

    Hello Richard

    I agree with you for the standard name, address and phone number listings.
    I wouldn't expect them to follow up every one of those prior to
    publishing. I suppose their system automatically references that
    information from phone accounts.

    When they charge a relatively high fee for what they call an "additional
    service" where they print cellphone numbers, email addresses and other
    information that can vary from year to year I expect a bit better
    service. They could at least ask the people paying extra if any changes
    are required before going to print.

    I'm not sure about the newspaper analogy; maybe if they printed the
    paper only once a year; while reprinting last years adverts and
    informing the advertisers with the bill and their complementary copy.

    It's a bit harder to forget about a newspaper that arrives on a very
    regular basis, then you have to get rid of the pile of paper each week.

    Maybe Telecom advise closeoff dates or issue notifications prior to
    printing yellow pages adverts; can anyone tell us?

    It's great to see that people read these posts.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing

    Paul Bealing, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Paul Bealing wrote:
    > Maybe Telecom advise closeoff dates or issue notifications prior to
    > printing yellow pages adverts; can anyone tell us?

    yep, they do, and same for white pages although less obvious... well,
    not on TV/radio AFAIK.

    > It's great to see that people read these posts.

    yep, the wonders of a community.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e