Telecom web site woes.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Telecom's web site seems to be an almost inexhaustible source of user
    misery for me.

    Tonight, I'm trying to access it via Firefox 1.0.

    www.telecom.co.nz

    It returns almost immediately with "done".....yet the Google default
    page is still showing.

    Doesn't matter what I do......"done"....and no Telecom web site.

    Clear cache.
    Clear history.
    stop/start Firefox........

    Same result.

    OK...try searching on "Telecom New Zealand" via Google. There's a link!

    Click on it......

    "done"......and the list of Google links is still showing.

    Bloody Telecom. What have they done now?

    I am unable to repeat this behaviour with any other web site I have tried.

    steve, Mar 1, 2005

  2. steve wrote:
    > Telecom's web site seems to be an almost inexhaustible source of user
    > misery for me.
    >
    > Tonight, I'm trying to access it via Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > www.telecom.co.nz
    >
    > It returns almost immediately with "done".....yet the Google default
    > page is still showing.
    >
    > Doesn't matter what I do......"done"....and no Telecom web site.
    >
    > Clear cache.
    > Clear history.
    > stop/start Firefox........
    >
    > Same result.
    >
    > OK...try searching on "Telecom New Zealand" via Google. There's a link!
    >
    > Click on it......
    >
    > "done"......and the list of Google links is still showing.
    >
    > Bloody Telecom. What have they done now?
    >
    > I am unable to repeat this behaviour with any other web site I have tried.

    Seems fine for me when I viewed it using Firefox at 10:10PM. Have you
    Tried accessing it in another browser?

    Pacific Dragon, Mar 1, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > steve wrote:

    >> Bloody Telecom. What have they done now?
    >>
    >> I am unable to repeat this behaviour with any other web site I have
    >> tried.
    >>

    > Seems fine for me when I viewed it using Firefox at 10:10PM. Have you
    > Tried accessing it in another browser?

    11:08 Wednesday morning....and I can access if fine now - with the same
    browser.

    They must have had some sort of problem....I've changed nothing.

    steve, Mar 1, 2005
  4. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:

    >>> Bloody Telecom. What have they done now?
    >>>
    >>> I am unable to repeat this behaviour with any other web site I have
    >>> tried.
    >>>

    >> Seems fine for me when I viewed it using Firefox at 10:10PM. Have you
    >> Tried accessing it in another browser?

    > 11:08 Wednesday morning....and I can access if fine now - with the same
    > browser.
    >
    > They must have had some sort of problem....I've changed nothing.

    Mmm, I'm not so sure. I get that a lot with Firefox and not
    just with the Telecom site. Well, not a lot. Sometimes.
    Also, maybe 3 or 4 times out of ten, the first time I open
    it, it also opens a blank window. Firefox 1.0.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 2, 2005
  5. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:57:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Mmm, I'm not so sure. I get that a lot with Firefox and not just with the
    > Telecom site. Well, not a lot. Sometimes. Also, maybe 3 or 4 times out of
    > ten, the first time I open it, it also opens a blank window. Firefox 1.0.

    Is that the so called 'slashdot' bug?

    ie certain large badly written complex pages sometimes don't render
    properly in Firefox until you force a redraw either by refreshing the
    browser or resizing it etc.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 2, 2005
  6. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:57:41 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >

    >>Mmm, I'm not so sure. I get that a lot with Firefox and not just with the
    >>Telecom site. Well, not a lot. Sometimes. Also, maybe 3 or 4 times out of
    >>ten, the first time I open it, it also opens a blank window. Firefox 1.0.

    > Is that the so called 'slashdot' bug?
    >
    > ie certain large badly written complex pages sometimes don't render
    > properly in Firefox until you force a redraw either by refreshing the
    > browser or resizing it etc.

    Don't think so. I get the page I want and a blank page. Mmm,
    maybe it is when I open FF with a click on a link eg in email.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 3, 2005