    caching, and not doing it properly.

    Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
    them enough?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 11, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-11, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
    > some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
    > repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
    > time they upload them.
    >
    > I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
    > and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
    > doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
    > their server doesn’t.
    >
    > So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
    > caching, and not doing it properly.

    Just like the XT network.

    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
    > them enough?

    No, Telecom will always accept more profit.

    Gordon, Mar 11, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    > I've got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They've got
    > some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they've been having
    > repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
    > time they upload them.
    >
    > I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same

    premises)
    > and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
    > doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page,

    while
    > their server doesn't.
    >
    > So that clinches it: it's pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
    > caching, and not doing it properly.
    >
    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn't it charge
    > them enough?

    All ISPs use caching and proxy servers so that it cuts down on their having
    to pay for overseas traffic.

    If you're thinking of changing ISPs, stay well away from Vodafone as well.
    They completely delete any emails THEY think are spam - nothing is stored in
    the spam folder for you to retrieve. :-(

    Your Name, Mar 11, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 11, 4:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
    > them enough?

    Quite obviously they are trying to lower the costs associated with
    traffic, just like most ISP's. Personally, I have not encountered the
    same issues your client is experiencing. Perhaps you should contact
    Telecom and discuss the matter directly with them in an effort to
    resolve it.

    Simon, Mar 11, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
    > some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
    > repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
    > time they upload them.
    >
    > I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
    > and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
    > doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
    > their server doesn’t.
    >
    > So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
    > caching, and not doing it properly.
    >
    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
    > them enough?

    I have checked it out and telecom obay the cache directives properly. It
    is not an ISP problem it is a server problem not telling them when to
    expire it.

    Richard, Mar 11, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:03:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve
    > got some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been
    > having repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web
    > pages every time they upload them.
    >
    > I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same
    > premises) and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how
    > it looks doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated
    > page, while their server doesn’t.
    >
    > So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
    > caching, and not doing it properly.
    >
    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it
    > charge them enough?

    Telecom is considerably lacking in being able to deliver reliable services.

    Sweetpea, Mar 11, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Brocker Guest

    On Mar 11, 4:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
    > some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
    > repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
    > time they upload them.
    >
    > I just checked by going into their main Linux server (on the same premises)
    > and using wget to access the page, and comparing that with how it looks
    > doing the same thing from my own machine. And I see the updated page, while
    > their server doesn’t.
    >
    > So that clinches it: it’s pretty clearly Telecom doing some kind of Web
    > caching, and not doing it properly.
    >
    > Why would Telecom be doing this for business customers? Doesn’t it charge
    > them enough?

    So what was Telecoms response? Presumably if you acting on behalf of
    as client you've called the helpdesk or whatever and have only arrived
    here because they failed to address the issue.

    Brocker, Mar 13, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Mar 11, 4:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > I’ve got a client using Telecom as their ISP at their office. They’ve got
    > some Web pages at an external hosting provider, and they’ve been having
    > repeated trouble trying to see updated versions of those Web pages every
    > time they upload them.

    At least you can see the old version of the pages. With TelstraClear
    they
    just change a whole lot of pages to be completely blank.

    Old Wolf, Mar 14, 2010