Telecom UBS Rort!?!? :(

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Hi,

    I'm just one of the hordes of UBS casualties, who have completely lost
    their ADSL connection and been forced onto dialup for the last few days.

    I have absolute confidence that Orcon are doing everything in their
    power to resolve the problems, and that they're getting severely shafted
    by Telecom.

    Makes me wonder if Telecom is deliberately messing the ISPs around, in a
    bid to piss off users and drive a percentage of them to Xtra. Wouldn't
    surprise me.

    If I were a 'mom and dad' user, I might be sorely tempted to blame Orcon.

    I bet Xtra users are having no such problems.

    Could there be grounds for a formal complaint to the Commerce Commission?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard

    R Little Guest

    Get Telecom out of your life and if possible go to Woosh. I do not regret
    the move.

    R Little, Nov 20, 2004

  3. In article <419f34de$1_3@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    01:23:18 +1300, Evil Bastard <> says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm just one of the hordes of UBS casualties, who have completely lost
    > their ADSL connection and been forced onto dialup for the last few days.
    >
    > I have absolute confidence that Orcon are doing everything in their
    > power to resolve the problems, and that they're getting severely shafted
    > by Telecom.
    >
    > Makes me wonder if Telecom is deliberately messing the ISPs around, in a
    > bid to piss off users and drive a percentage of them to Xtra. Wouldn't
    > surprise me.
    >
    > If I were a 'mom and dad' user, I might be sorely tempted to blame Orcon.
    >
    > I bet Xtra users are having no such problems.
    >
    > Could there be grounds for a formal complaint to the Commerce Commission?

    CC operates on fact, not speculation or conspiracy theory

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Evil Bastard

    Mutley Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote:

    >In article <419f34de$1_3@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    >01:23:18 +1300, Evil Bastard <> says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm just one of the hordes of UBS casualties, who have completely lost
    >> their ADSL connection and been forced onto dialup for the last few days.
    >>
    >> I have absolute confidence that Orcon are doing everything in their
    >> power to resolve the problems, and that they're getting severely shafted
    >> by Telecom.
    >>
    >> Makes me wonder if Telecom is deliberately messing the ISPs around, in a
    >> bid to piss off users and drive a percentage of them to Xtra. Wouldn't
    >> surprise me.
    >>
    >> If I were a 'mom and dad' user, I might be sorely tempted to blame Orcon.
    >>
    >> I bet Xtra users are having no such problems.
    >>
    >> Could there be grounds for a formal complaint to the Commerce Commission?

    >CC operates on fact, not speculation or conspiracy theory

    I thought the CC was an imaginary body that was created by Telecom ..

    Mutley, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R Little wrote:
    > Get Telecom out of your life and if possible go to Woosh. I do not
    > regret the move.

    And how is Woosh for latency? Good for gaming?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2004
  6. In article <>, Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >In article <419f34de$1_3@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    >01:23:18 +1300, Evil Bastard <> says...

    *SNIP*
    >> Could there be grounds for a formal complaint to the Commerce Commission?

    >CC operates on fact, not speculation or conspiracy theory

    So give them fact - Fact: Telecon killed his DSL for a week during the
    UBS cutover to another ISP.
    That, alone, should be grounds for a complaint. But it's not, because
    the Act doesn't give grounds for monitoring or compliance. So Telescum
    can shaft every customer who's shifting away, and there's not a thing
    that can be done to stop them.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Nov 21, 2004
  7. In article <cnqrpf$hgr$> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    20:54:23 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...
    > In article <>, Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    > >In article <419f34de$1_3@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    > >01:23:18 +1300, Evil Bastard <> says...

    > *SNIP*
    > >> Could there be grounds for a formal complaint to the Commerce Commission?

    > >CC operates on fact, not speculation or conspiracy theory

    > So give them fact - Fact: Telecon killed his DSL for a week during the
    > UBS cutover to another ISP.
    > That, alone, should be grounds for a complaint. But it's not, because
    > the Act doesn't give grounds for monitoring or compliance. So Telescum
    > can shaft every customer who's shifting away, and there's not a thing
    > that can be done to stop them.

    No, because you can't prove that Telecom acted maliciously in the above.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Evil Bastard

    Nik Coughin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > R Little wrote:
    >> Get Telecom out of your life and if possible go to Woosh. I do not
    >> regret the move.

    > And how is Woosh for latency? Good for gaming?

    Latency on my Woosh is pretty bad. Though lately a few people on JS/UBS say
    that their latency is turning to shit and games are becoming unplayably (is
    that a word?) laggy.

    Nik Coughin, Nov 22, 2004
  9. In article <cnrqe5$cci$> in nz.comp on Mon, 22 Nov 2004
    05:37:24 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...
    > In article <>, Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    > >In article <cnqrpf$hgr$> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    > >20:54:23 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...

    > *SNIP*
    > >No, because you can't prove that Telecom acted maliciously in the above.

    > That's what the Commerce Commission is there for. To ensure that
    > Telecom DOESN'T act maliciously.

    And so far they have done f.a., so either Telecom is not acting
    maliciously or the CC is asleep, inept or incompetent

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 22, 2004

    Matthew Poole, Nov 22, 2004
  11. In article <cnrqe5$cci$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <>, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >>In article <cnqrpf$hgr$> in nz.comp on Sun, 21 Nov 2004
    >>20:54:23 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...

    >*SNIP*
    >>No, because you can't prove that Telecom acted maliciously in the above.

    >That's what the Commerce Commission is there for. To ensure that
    >Telecom DOESN'T act maliciously.

    LOL :) ... good one :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 22, 2004
  12. In article <>, Patrick Dunford <> wrote:
    >In article <cnrqe5$cci$> in nz.comp on Mon, 22 Nov 2004
    >05:37:24 GMT, Matthew Poole <> says...

    *SNIP*
    >And so far they have done f.a., so either Telecom is not acting
    >maliciously or the CC is asleep, inept or incompetent

    If you'd actually paid attention to my earlier post, you would've
    noticed that the Act doesn't give them any power to enforce or monitor
    the UBS migration.
    So even if Telescum ARE being a pack of wankers, nothing can be done
    about it.

    Matthew Poole, Nov 22, 2004