Telecom to discontinue fax testing service on 30 June

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Harry, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or so
    an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    telephone line you sent it from.

    In recent years it has become a quick and useful means for determining
    if problems with a dial-up connection on a PC can be attributed to the
    telephone line. In fact, because of the technical data included in the
    report, including the signal level at the local exchange, it's really
    the only "self-help" method for a PC user to prove to Telecom that a
    fault lies in the line, and not the PC. (Of course you still need a
    fax machine, or a software fax programme, to perform this test).

    In any event, I used "FaxRight" to test a fax machine last night and
    along with sending back the results to me, the report also announced
    that the FaxRight service was being decommissioned and would be
    unavailable from 30 June.

    What a shame, I have no idea how much it cost Telecom to provide this
    free service, but like Xtra's recent dropping of Usenet feeds, I can't
    help thinking it is just another example of Telecom pulling the plug
    on a service that it has grown tired of providing.

    Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    testing fax machines?
    Harry, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Harry

    colinco Guest

    In article Harry says...
    > For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    > testing fax machines?

    Decades? Maybe 1 if you're lucky. The old ISA bus PCs it ran on are
    probably giving out. I did hear once that TelstraClear had a more modern
    version but they're even quicker to stop things.
    colinco, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Harry

    XPD Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    > It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    > faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or so
    > an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    > containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    > graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    > telephone line you sent it from.
    > Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    > testing fax machines?

    Clear/Telstra have one... cant remember number off the top of my head tho.
    0508 something...
    XPD, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Harry

    Mutlley Guest

    "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote:

    >"Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    >> It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    >> faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or so
    >> an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    >> containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    >> graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    >> telephone line you sent it from.
    >> Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    >> testing fax machines?

    >Clear/Telstra have one... cant remember number off the top of my head tho.
    >0508 something...

    Any idea what it's number is as there are allot of business telephone
    system installers who use this service when they install a PBX
    system and the customer complains that faxs don't work properly. The
    tech can call Faxrite and check the trans levels to the fax and change
    the pad levels of the trunks or tell the customer to refer the
    problem back to the fax vendor. Without this service there will be
    lots of toing and frowing and the customer will get very pissed off..
    Mutlley, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Harry

    Vista Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote:
    >

    >>"Harry" <> wrote in message
    >>> For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    >>> It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    >>> faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or so
    >>> an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    >>> containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    >>> graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    >>> telephone line you sent it from.
    >>> Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    >>> testing fax machines?

    >>Clear/Telstra have one... cant remember number off the top of my head tho.
    >>0508 something...
    >>

    > Any idea what it's number is as there are allot of business telephone
    > system installers who use this service when they install a PBX
    > system and the customer complains that faxs don't work properly. The
    > tech can call Faxrite and check the trans levels to the fax and change
    > the pad levels of the trunks or tell the customer to refer the
    > problem back to the fax vendor. Without this service there will be
    > lots of toing and frowing and the customer will get very pissed off..

    Maybe someone should alert Fair Go about it, as it could make an interesting
    story.
    Vista, Jun 23, 2006
  6. Harry

    John S Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:23:18 +1200, Harry wrote:

    > For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    > It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    > faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or so
    > an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    > containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    > graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    > telephone line you sent it from.

    > Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    > testing fax machines?

    Shame that they're withdrawing the service. I always found it very handy.

    "Clear" used to have an 0508 number which provided the same kind of service
    - can't remember whether it was before or after they became Telstra Clear.

    I've just had a look through my fax notes and can't find the number though.

    You might like to try phoning them - you never know, the service might
    still be running.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Jun 23, 2006
  7. Harry

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:23:18 +1200, Harry wrote:

    > In fact, because of the technical data included in the
    > report, including the signal level at the local exchange, it's really
    > the only "self-help" method for a PC user to prove to Telecom that a
    > fault lies in the line, and not the PC.

    Looks to me like this is the real reason why Telecon is withdrawing that
    useful service.

    It's all about providing minimal service for maximum return, AKA screwing
    customers for as much as can be gotten with impunity.

    MaHogany

    MaHogany, Jun 23, 2006
  8. Harry

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John S wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:23:18 +1200, Harry wrote:
    >
    >> For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    >> It allowed a fax machine user to test the machine's performance by
    >> faxing a page of text/images to 0800 108 208 and within a minute or
    >> so an automated computer-generated fax would be sent back to you
    >> containing useful technical information, including an equalisation
    >> graph chart, about the quality of your fax and the state of the
    >> telephone line you sent it from.

    >> Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    >> testing fax machines?

    > Shame that they're withdrawing the service. I always found it very
    > handy.

    I think that too many people did, and, using Telecom's own data, pinpointed
    a fault on Telecom's lines. I'd look at this as a warning that unbundling is
    going to herald an era of *extremely* poor quality phone lines and Telecom
    are just removing any tools that people may have that could put the blame on
    them, or make it easier for anyone to claim that Telecom aren't providing
    quality of service.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jun 23, 2006
  9. Harry

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > Any idea what it's number is

    I install Fax Machines.
    Clear's is 0508 500 499 and is better, and simpler to use than Telecom's.
    Why either of them would discontinue an automated service is beyond me.
    When you have the levels and equalization set correctly, performance is
    better, and cross talk is minimized. Everyone wins!

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 23, 2006
  10. Harry

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote:
    >

    >>"Harry" <> wrote in message
    >>> For decades, Telecom has made available its free "FaxRight" service.
    >>> Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    >>> testing fax machines?

    >>Clear/Telstra have one... cant remember number off the top of my head tho.
    >>0508 something...
    >>

    > Any idea what it's number is as there are allot of business telephone
    > system installers who use this service when they install a PBX
    > system and the customer complains that faxs don't work properly.

    0508 500 499

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Jun 23, 2006
  11. On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:32:52 +1200, MaHogany <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:23:18 +1200, Harry wrote:
    >
    >> In fact, because of the technical data included in the
    >> report, including the signal level at the local exchange, it's really
    >> the only "self-help" method for a PC user to prove to Telecom that a
    >> fault lies in the line, and not the PC.

    >Looks to me like this is the real reason why Telecon is withdrawing that
    >useful service.
    >
    >It's all about providing minimal service for maximum return, AKA screwing
    >customers for as much as can be gotten with impunity.

    They've been doing that with Xtra for years ...
    Robert Feigel, Jun 23, 2006
  12. Harry

    EMB Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any other facility that might be available for
    > testing fax machines?

    We're giving serious consideration to filling the void with a similar
    service but it will be 0900 number based.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jun 23, 2006
  13. Harry

    Mutley Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote:

    >"Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    >> "XPD" <spam@xpd> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Harry" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Clear/Telstra have one... cant remember number off the top of my head tho.
    >>>0508 something...
    >>>

    >> Any idea what it's number is as there are allot of business telephone
    >> system installers who use this service when they install a PBX
    >> system and the customer complains that faxs don't work properly.

    >0508 500 499
    >
    >-KENT

    Thanx :)
    Mutley, Jun 23, 2006