Telecom Techs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frederick, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Frederick

    Frederick Guest

    Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
    why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port scans
    ? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?

    A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
    logged into the following ports

    I traced the IP address and came up with the owner ( telecom tech ), it
    showed a phone number which I rang but no reply. So emailed him and it
    bounced.

    not my real name nor email addie. so dont try to reply to me personally

    Fred

    Frederick, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Frederick

    Jason M Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:45:12 +1300, "Frederick"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
    >why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port scans
    >? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?

    It seems to be normal these days to get several ports scans per minute
    from other people using your ISP. I get them from ihug customers all
    the time. They probably all have some kind of virus.

    >A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
    >logged into the following ports

    It looks like just one of the Telecom range:

    OrgName: Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited
    NetRange: 146.171.0.0 - 146.171.255.255

    Jason M, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Frederick

    Frederick Guest

    "Frederick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, can someone explain to me when I log into telecom to view my account/s
    > why do the techs there who seem to have portable IP addresses do port

    scans
    > ? I am I doing something illegal or are they invading my computer.?
    >
    > A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
    > logged into the following ports
    > 1856
    > 1857
    > 1858
    > 1859
    > 1860
    > 1861
    > 1862
    > 1863
    > 1864
    > 1865
    > 1866
    > 1867
    > 1868
    > 1869
    > 1870
    >
    > I traced the IP address and came up with the owner ( telecom tech ), it
    > showed a phone number which I rang but no reply. So emailed him and it
    > bounced.
    >
    > not my real name nor email addie. so dont try to reply to me personally
    >
    > Fred

    Interesting, the IP addie was assigned on thurs night at 7 pm. Inputing the
    IP directly into a web browser I have had 3 diff telecom pages come up. 1st
    Yabba and then the Telecom home page and now Log in page.

    I give up, must be paranioa setting in...

    If anyone one can explain a logical explantion it would be most welcome.

    Paraniod Fred

    Frederick, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Frederick wrote:

    > A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
    > logged into the following ports
    > 1856
    > 1857
    > 1858
    > 1859
    > 1860
    > 1861
    > 1862
    > 1863
    > 1864
    > 1865
    > 1866
    > 1867
    > 1868
    > 1869
    > 1870

    Those are sequential, they will be your PCs source ports when connecting to
    whatever is on that IP address, maybe a webserver or something usefull like that?

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Frederick

    Frederick Guest

    "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Frederick wrote:
    >
    > > A netstat scan showed that a tech with an IP addie of 146.171.18.242 was
    > > logged into the following ports
    > > 1856
    > > 1857
    > > 1858
    > > 1859
    > > 1860
    > > 1861
    > > 1862
    > > 1863
    > > 1864
    > > 1865
    > > 1866
    > > 1867
    > > 1868
    > > 1869
    > > 1870

    > Those are sequential, they will be your PCs source ports when connecting

    > whatever is on that IP address, maybe a webserver or something usefull

    like that?

    Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display

    TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

    Fred

    Frederick, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Frederick

    T.N.O. Guest

    Frederick wrote:
    > Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display
    > TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

    You are connected to 146.171.18.242 on port 80... http, as in web surfing.

    the IP appears to belong to Telecom.

    T.N.O., Nov 29, 2003
  7. Frederick

    Rudy Seoa Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Frederick wrote:
    > > Hi Paranoid Freddie again, can someone explain this from my netstat display
    > > TCP #########::ingreslock 146.171.18.242:80 ESTABLISHED

    > You are connected to 146.171.18.242 on port 80... http, as in web surfing.
    >
    > the IP appears to belong to Telecom.
    >

    >host www.telecom.co.nz

    looking up host www.telecom.co.nz...

    host name : www.telecom.co.nz
    address : 146.171.18.242

    The OP should read one of the many tcp/ip tutorials that are available.

    Rudy Seoa, Nov 29, 2003