    earnings in 2003-04 for the first time and will pump a further $1 billion
    into its development over the next five years

    http://finance.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6775663%5E462,00.html

    Jay, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Jay

    Steve Guest

    Jay allegedly said:

    > Telecom NZ could take a leaf out of Telstra's book.
    > Telstra was forced by the Australian government to lower
    > their wholesale broadband prices (AU govt is a majority stake holder).
    > Now, as a result, Telstra see themselves making their first
    > profit out of broadband.
    >
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > TELSTRA Corp Ltd expects its broadband services to deliver positive
    > earnings in 2003-04 for the first time and will pump a further $1 billion
    > into its development over the next five years

    http://finance.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6775663%5E462,00.html

    Careful.....

    Telstra also own the largest, single peering exchange in Australia and were
    charging 19 cents / MB last I heard. They bought AARNET's exchange several
    years ago.

    NZ is *blessed* with free peering among ISPs.

    --
    Steve
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."
    - Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

    Steve, Jul 18, 2003

  3. In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:57:48 +1200, Steve wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >A reliable journo informs me that Telecom and Telstra are about to move to
    >free peering only between each other.

    That would be a fairly serious mistake on their part, not to mention
    being a move that the Telecommunications Commissioner could quite
    rightly construe as anti-competitive.
    The difference in size between Telstra and IHUG/Orcon is not
    sufficiently large enough to justify excluding the latter two from a
    peering arrangement made on the basis of traffic volume.

    They would quickly get kicked off APE if they tried such a stunt, and I
    would imagine that WIX would take a rather dim view of such actions as
    well.

    Telecom also needs to be a bit careful at the moment. CallPlus are
    already suing them for a lot of money over the i4free issue, and another
    few million for anti-competitive behaviour by cutting off peering would
    hardly be noticed at the bottom of the bill.

    This country's Internet takeup is, amongst other things, where it is
    today because of the ability for anybody to get access to nearly all
    domestic content for the price of an ATM circuit to the Sky Tower or an
    ethernet link into WIX, and a router to terminate and do BGP. Changing
    that dynamic will only hurt the industry - Not that Telescum give a
    flying **** about anyone else, but if ISPs start closing because of this
    then the Commissioner will make sure that they feel some pain for it.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Careful.....
    >
    > Telstra also own the largest, single peering exchange in Australia and
    > were charging 19 cents / MB last I heard. They bought AARNET's exchange
    > several years ago.
    >
    > NZ is *blessed* with free peering among ISPs.

    So how come 10GB/mo costs $888 in NZ when it costs under $100 in Australia?

    BTW I never see much traffic going over AARNETs academic circuit.
    Much seems to go over "connect" which is part-owned by Telecom NZ!

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  5. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:22:01 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >

    >> Careful.....
    >>
    >> Telstra also own the largest, single peering exchange in Australia and
    >> were charging 19 cents / MB last I heard. They bought AARNET's exchange
    >> several years ago.
    >>
    >> NZ is *blessed* with free peering among ISPs.
    >>

    >So how come 10GB/mo costs $888 in NZ when it costs under $100 in Australia?

    What utter CRAP, look a Cable charges here some $60 for 10g.

    Master Tech ©, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Master Tech © wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:22:01 +1000, Jay <> wrote:
    >
    >>Steve wrote:
    >>

    >>> Careful.....
    >>>
    >>> Telstra also own the largest, single peering exchange in Australia and
    >>> were charging 19 cents / MB last I heard. They bought AARNET's exchange
    >>> several years ago.
    >>>
    >>> NZ is *blessed* with free peering among ISPs.
    >>>

    >>So how come 10GB/mo costs $888 in NZ when it costs under $100 in
    >>Australia?

    > What utter CRAP, look a Cable charges here some $60 for 10g.

    At dialup, 128kbps, or 256kbps speeds I suppose!

    If you think that is crap check this out:

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,200345-201334,00.html

    In actual fact you *cannot* even buy 10GB/mo at broadband speed from
    Telecom. You have to buy a business connection! Imagine that.

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 19, 2003
  8. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Who is this wrote:

    > In article <bfa1em$csq1k$-berlin.de>,
    > Jay <> wrote:
    >
    >> > What utter CRAP, look a Cable charges here some $60 for 10g.

    >> At dialup, 128kbps, or 256kbps speeds I suppose!
    >>

    > An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    > downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    Wow!

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Jay

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bfahil$crs70$-berlin.de>,
    Jay <> wrote:

    > Who is this wrote:

    > >> At dialup, 128kbps, or 256kbps speeds I suppose!
    > >>

    > > An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    > > downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    > Wow!

    The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
    heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

    Who is this, Jul 19, 2003
  10. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Who is this wrote:

    > In article <bfahil$crs70$-berlin.de>,
    > Jay <> wrote:
    >
    >> Who is this wrote:

    >> > An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    >> > downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    >> Wow!
    >>

    > The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
    > heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

    Really? What a strange circle of friends you have!

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  11. Jay

    paulsy Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:00:01 GMT, (paulsy) wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:55:22 +1200, Gary <> wrote:
    >
    >>Um, no this is not true. You sound like you work for Telescum!.

    >I look foward to the day I can tell Theresa to stick a carrot up her
    >asrse.

    ah **** it, a typo when I didn't need it because I sure do want
    Theresa and telecom to impale themselves on a rather large carrot and
    it was up their 'arse' that I expected it to go, of course!

    paulsy, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Jay

    RecylerMan Guest

    Who is this wrote:
    > In article <bfahil$crs70$-berlin.de>,
    > Jay <> wrote:
    >

    >>Who is this wrote:

    >>>An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    >>>downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    >>Wow!
    >>

    > The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
    > heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

    I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
    red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
    gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595

    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Jul 19, 2003
  13. Jay

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    Gary <> wrote:

    > >The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
    > >heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

    > Um, no this is not true. You sound like you work for Telescum!.

    Oh and what legit reason is there ?

    Who is this, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Jay

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bfb7kc$i8j$>,
    RecylerMan <0.nz> wrote:

    > I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
    > red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
    > gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

    Each and every month, wow, and I though linux was beautiful because it
    was not bloated. Or am I to beleieve that it is so buggy that it
    requires this each and every month?

    Who is this, Jul 19, 2003
  15. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Who is this wrote:

    > In article <bfb7kc$i8j$>,
    > RecylerMan <0.nz> wrote:
    >

    >> I down load Linux ISO's three disks for mandraek and another thee for
    >> red hat oh then get somthing ellce and next thing you have done 4 to 6
    >> gig in a month and no illegitmate traffic

    > Each and every month, wow, and I though linux was beautiful because it
    > was not bloated. Or am I to beleieve that it is so buggy that it
    > requires this each and every month?

    No

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  16. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:43:04 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    > An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    > downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    I did 7.5GB in an hour just downloading a bunch of mpegs of a US federal
    trade commission conference.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 19, 2003
  17. In article <bfc8vb$c1h$>, RecylerMan <0.nz> wrote:
    >Who is this wrote:

    *SNIP*
    Would you care to try that again with punctuation There are those of us
    who find it very difficult to read a post that is effectively a single
    sentence It also makes it VERY hard for Woger to understand the point
    you're trying to get across I do realise that Woger normally finds this
    difficult but no punctuation is just a little more than his brain can
    cope with

    Matthew Poole, Jul 19, 2003
  18. Jay

    T.N.O. Guest

    Gary wrote:
    >>The only people I know who break the 1G barrier are those who download
    >>heaps of MP3s, porn, and warez, none of which is legitimate traffic

    > Um, no this is not true. You sound like you work for Telescum!.

    How can you say that this is unture, he was commenting on people he
    knows, unless you know the people he knows, and know their downloading
    habits, you are the one who is wrong.

    I dont think that he sounds like he works for Telecom(I can spell the
    company name correctly :) ), maybe just a typical low usage user.

    I didn't use more than 5GB when flatting in Auckland, we had better
    things to do than download shit all the time.

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  19. Jay

    T.N.O. Guest

    paulsy wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:55:22 +1200, Gary <> wrote:
    >

    >>Um, no this is not true. You sound like you work for Telescum!.

    > I look foward to the day I can tell Theresa to stick a carrot up her
    > asrse.

    Why not send her an email... last time I checked it was available on the
    Telecom website :) I think it was but you
    may have to correct the spelling of her name.

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  20. Jay

    T.N.O. Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:43:04 +1200, Who is this wrote:
    >

    >>An I have yet to even break the 1G barrier even in the month where I
    >>downloaded 400Mb of system/software updates.

    > I did 7.5GB in an hour just downloading a bunch of mpegs of a US federal
    > trade commission conference.

    Full Jetstream I presume? Jetstart wouldnt allow that(unless they fucked
    up the limiting again)

    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003