    3.00. Apparently they connected me to telecom, but did not put me on the
    anytime plan.

    Seems the provisioning processes must be very manual for this to occur.

    JedMeister, Dec 8, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    Alan Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    news:v9std.23425$...

    > Recently was phoned by telecom, trying to convince me to change from
    > telstra to telecom as toll carrier.
    >
    > Said the calls would be 2.75 on the anytime national plan, and I
    > would also save 10bucks off my jetstream connection.
    >
    > It is cheaper, so I agreed (even though I detest telecom but show me
    > the money ). Just got my bill, and they are billing my national
    > calls at
    > 3.00. Apparently they connected me to telecom, but did not put me
    > on the anytime plan.
    >
    > Seems the provisioning processes must be very manual for this to
    > occur.

    IME it is best to always ask the telesales person to put everything in
    writing for you before agreeing to switch.

    If they won't / can't be bothered, then it should get your scepticism
    glands going!

    Alan.

    Alan, Dec 8, 2004

  3. JedMeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    JedMeister wrote:
    > Recently was phoned by telecom, trying to convince me to change from
    > telstra to telecom as toll carrier.
    >
    > Said the calls would be 2.75 on the anytime national plan, and I
    > would also save 10bucks off my jetstream connection.
    >
    > It is cheaper, so I agreed (even though I detest telecom but show me
    > the money ). Just got my bill, and they are billing my national
    > calls at
    > 3.00. Apparently they connected me to telecom, but did not put me
    > on the anytime plan.
    >
    > Seems the provisioning processes must be very manual for this to
    > occur.

    </rant>

    Mate, you think you've got problems with them. I've just spent nearly
    *three* hours on the phone talking to them. I spoke to: (In order) Mary,
    Mike, Harmit, Kevin, June and finally Tracey. Of course I had to go into
    great detail about my complaint with each and every one of them.

    I signed up for jetstart with Orcon, to get the "early-bird" cheap upgrade
    to UBS. I wanted the $99 self-install option as I would be cancelling
    jetstream to go to UBS within the month. Telecom/Xtra put me on their
    promotion, free connection, six month contract, it showed on my last-months
    bill, no charge. I figured "No sweat, when they realise I've cancelled
    they'll just charge me the $99". Right? Wrong! They tried to charge me $150
    for breaking a contract (That I didn't want in the first place). I decided
    this was unacceptable and first spoke to Orcon. They told me that the Wire
    Line Order for ADSL sent on my behalf specifically stated "Not Promotion"
    and they gave me the order number. They said just ring Telecom, quote the
    order number and they'll sort it, it's happened quite a bit.

    Sound's really simple right? Yeah. Three hours!! The guy Kevin was an A1,
    first-class prize prick from the first words he uttered and unfortunately I
    was talking with him for 35+ minutes. This is the sort of guy who would be
    punched out in virtually any public bar in NZ within 20 minutes of entering.
    He kept calling me "Sir" but he said it in such a way as you could tell he
    *had* to. He told me the problem was Orcon's and that, "With all due respect
    _sir_" if you give a company power to act as your agent (sign me up for
    Jetstream) then frankly you are a fool as you are legally commited to
    whatever they do on your behalf. I'd have to pay and that's that. I told him
    that I had the order number from Orcon and he can look it up. He then went
    into this big analogy speech saying that was like being given a bank account
    number and being told to "have a look", he couldn't do that. This guy was
    thick as *three* short planks. He treated me like *I* was an idiot when, it
    was absolutely obvious after three seconds talking to him that he had the IQ
    of a retarded chicken and was rude and beligerant on top of it. At one stage
    I asked his surname (as I wanted to put in an official complaint) but he
    told me he is not at liberty to tell me. I told him that was unfair, he knew
    mine. Grrrr! He once again proceeded to tell me what a fool I was (and
    anyone else who allows a third party to sign them up with Telecom/Xtra) so I
    quoted the order number *again*, told him to look it up. He said "Sorry
    _sir_ I don't have the authority to do that". I said well stop wasting my
    time and put me through to someone who does. Two "hops" later I was speaking
    with Tracey who listened to me, checked a few things, and told me, sorry,
    there must have been a misunderstanding between your ISP and Xtra somewhere
    along the line, I'll credit your account with the $50 now. It took her five
    minutes. If I wasn't so relived I would have told her they owed me for three
    hours of my time and compensation for undue stress and suffering. (I'm
    really broke, Xmas round the corner, unexpected bill for $50 = major
    problem)

    So I got the desired outcome but three hours of my life I'll never get back
    and a nasty headache and taste in my mouth after talking to that human
    dog-turd Kevin. Good job I don't know his surname or I guess my comments
    could be actionable.

    I wonder how many people would have given up and just paid the damn bill? I
    tell ya, if I wasn't so broke even I may have been tempted to give up,
    suffering from an anxiety disorder like I do. I really needed my medication
    today, and tomorrow's meds too, thanks to "Kevin" the wonder-dog.

    <rant/>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2004
  4. "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Recently was phoned by telecom, trying to convince me to change from
    >> telstra to telecom as toll carrier.
    >>
    >> Said the calls would be 2.75 on the anytime national plan, and I
    >> would also save 10bucks off my jetstream connection.
    >>
    >> It is cheaper, so I agreed (even though I detest telecom but show me
    >> the money ). Just got my bill, and they are billing my national
    >> calls at
    >> 3.00. Apparently they connected me to telecom, but did not put me
    >> on the anytime plan.
    >>
    >> Seems the provisioning processes must be very manual for this to
    >> occur.
    >>

    > IME it is best to always ask the telesales person to put everything in
    > writing for you before agreeing to switch.
    >
    > If they won't / can't be bothered, then it should get your scepticism
    > glands going!

    Ha true, but they always seem to think you are anal if you ask for
    documentation.

    Just received another phone call from telecom, they say it is impossible to
    change me onto the anytime rateplan, because I have an open ADSL request in
    their system (to move me from 256 jetsurf to the 2mb plan).

    This is hilarious, the only reason i have an open ADSL request, is because
    they stuffed up in my last billcycle change and 'forgot' to upgrade me.

    Now they are going to give me another credit , on top of the jetstream
    credits to compensate for the fact I cannot be placed on anytime callplan.

    Jed Meisterdude, Dec 8, 2004
  5. In article <Mwstd.23430$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >"JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    >> Recently was phoned by telecom, trying to convince me to change from
    >> telstra to telecom as toll carrier.
    >>
    >> Said the calls would be 2.75 on the anytime national plan, and I
    >> would also save 10bucks off my jetstream connection.
    >>
    >> It is cheaper, so I agreed (even though I detest telecom but show me
    >> the money ). Just got my bill, and they are billing my national
    >> calls at
    >> 3.00. Apparently they connected me to telecom, but did not put me
    >> on the anytime plan.
    >>
    >> Seems the provisioning processes must be very manual for this to
    >> occur.
    >>

    >IME it is best to always ask the telesales person to put everything in
    >writing for you before agreeing to switch.
    >
    >If they won't / can't be bothered, then it should get your scepticism
    >glands going!

    Try and get sky to send you their contract before you agree to it ... when
    you've got a few spare minutes :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 8, 2004
  6. JedMeister

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I told him
    > that I had the order number from Orcon and he can look it up. He then went
    > into this big analogy speech saying that was like being given a bank account
    > number and being told to "have a look", he couldn't do that

    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

    The dispute is if the wrong product has been delivered or not, the question
    is what was ordered. Check the purchase order.

    Any customer service oriented operation would take your word that a mistake
    has been made, it doesn't matter who made the mistake, the client should
    get what they want. In this case there is not even stock to be returned,
    just pass a credit and rebill the correct item.

    You have my sympathies man, that was a royal **** around, even by telecoms
    miserable standards.

    Warwick, Dec 8, 2004
  7. JedMeister

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:21:50 +1300, Jed Meisterdude wrote:

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >> [25 quoted lines suppressed]

    > Ha true, but they always seem to think you are anal if you ask for
    > documentation.
    >
    > Just received another phone call from telecom, they say it is impossible to
    > change me onto the anytime rateplan, because I have an open ADSL request in
    > their system (to move me from 256 jetsurf to the 2mb plan).
    >
    > This is hilarious, the only reason i have an open ADSL request, is because
    > they stuffed up in my last billcycle change and 'forgot' to upgrade me.
    >
    > Now they are going to give me another credit , on top of the jetstream
    > credits to compensate for the fact I cannot be placed on anytime callplan.

    What is anytime anyway?

    I have just got my first phone bill from Telecom. I ordered phone line
    rental and unlimited dial up. I was very very clear, DO NOT attach any
    services to the phone line. I have made one call in 5 weeks.
    The first invoice is for 240 dollars.
    I can't make head nor tail of it, there is a 2 week billing period and a 5
    week billing period covered (5!?) Anytime is 53.95 in one period, 28
    dollars in the other period. There are three (3!?) separate charges for
    xtra services of 22-27 odd dollars each. It is supposed to be a flat rate
    service.

    No phone calls from me, I sent an email and I won't pay the bill till I
    have a satisfactory response. That usually gets someones attention.

    Warwick, Dec 8, 2004
  8. JedMeister

    whoisthis Guest

    Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    In article <>,
    Warwick <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > I told him
    > > that I had the order number from Orcon and he can look it up. He then went
    > > into this big analogy speech saying that was like being given a bank account
    > > number and being told to "have a look", he couldn't do that

    > That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
    >
    > The dispute is if the wrong product has been delivered or not, the question
    > is what was ordered. Check the purchase order.
    >
    > Any customer service oriented operation would take your word that a mistake
    > has been made, it doesn't matter who made the mistake, the client should
    > get what they want. In this case there is not even stock to be returned,
    > just pass a credit and rebill the correct item.
    >
    > You have my sympathies man, that was a royal **** around, even by telecoms
    > miserable standards.

    The problem with telecom is they have never seriously had to compete
    with anyone, so they have no knowlege how to. I have had one person who
    used to work for them (he saw the light and quit) that the marketing
    people get a bigger bonus for getting a customer back than for keeping
    one, so they dont care if you shift because they think their bounus will
    be bigger when they get you back, problem is they piss so many off they
    NEVER come back.

    whoisthis, Dec 8, 2004
  9. JedMeister

    Brendan Guest

    Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I wonder how many people would have given up and just paid the damn bill? I
    > tell ya, if I wasn't so broke even I may have been tempted to give up,
    > suffering from an anxiety disorder like I do. I really needed my medication
    > today, and tomorrow's meds too, thanks to "Kevin" the wonder-dog.

    Write a letter to them and demand compensation. Talk to your local MP.

    I have noticed Telecom are now deliberatly making it difficult to contact
    them so you are left without recourse. Or so they hope your will think.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The Web is bang equal to the Internet." "Bang equal?" "Yeah, if you claim the two are the same we'll shoot you." -- Doug Sheppard

    Note: All my comments are copyright 8/12/2004 11:35:26 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 8, 2004
  10. JedMeister

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder how many people would have given up and just paid the damn
    >> bill? I tell ya, if I wasn't so broke even I may have been tempted
    >> to give up, suffering from an anxiety disorder like I do. I really
    >> needed my medication today, and tomorrow's meds too, thanks to
    >> "Kevin" the wonder-dog.

    > Write a letter to them and demand compensation. Talk to your local MP.
    >
    > I have noticed Telecom are now deliberatly making it difficult to
    > contact them so you are left without recourse. Or so they hope your
    > will think.

    You know, I might just do that. Any idea of an address and an adressee for
    the letter? I think I'd just print out my post, maybe change it so it
    doesn't look like a usenet post.

    This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had the bill
    for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I knew it was going
    to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2004
  11. JedMeister

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I told him
    >> that I had the order number from Orcon and he can look it up. He
    >> then went into this big analogy speech saying that was like being
    >> given a bank account number and being told to "have a look", he
    >> couldn't do that

    > That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
    >
    > The dispute is if the wrong product has been delivered or not, the
    > question is what was ordered. Check the purchase order.

    Exactly. And I had the purchase order number on hand for them to check. Make
    it easy for them.

    > Any customer service oriented operation would take your word that a
    > mistake has been made, it doesn't matter who made the mistake, the
    > client should get what they want. In this case there is not even
    > stock to be returned, just pass a credit and rebill the correct item.
    >
    > You have my sympathies man, that was a royal **** around, even by
    > telecoms miserable standards.

    Thanks dude, I appreciate it. I'm still pissed off, that's why I'm not in
    bed at 3:15am, I have trouble sleeping when there's something on my mind.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2004
  12. JedMeister

    whoisthis Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had the bill
    > for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I knew it was going
    > to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    you can always vote with your wallet and shift everything to
    TelstraClear. I think when Teresa starts getting a salary reduction
    becuase of reduced customer numbers she may actually have to work for a
    living.

    whoisthis, Dec 8, 2004
  13. Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Brendan wrote:
    >> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:40:58 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I wonder how many people would have given up and just paid the damn
    >>> bill? I tell ya, if I wasn't so broke even I may have been tempted
    >>> to give up, suffering from an anxiety disorder like I do. I really
    >>> needed my medication today, and tomorrow's meds too, thanks to
    >>> "Kevin" the wonder-dog.

    >> Write a letter to them and demand compensation. Talk to your local MP.
    >>
    >> I have noticed Telecom are now deliberatly making it difficult to
    >> contact them so you are left without recourse. Or so they hope your
    >> will think.

    >You know, I might just do that. Any idea of an address and an adressee for
    >the letter? I think I'd just print out my post, maybe change it so it
    >doesn't look like a usenet post.
    >
    >This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had the bill
    >for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I knew it was going
    >to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.

    Never ring a telco. Write to them. They will then ring you. Insist they
    reply to your letter. That way you have what they said they'd do in
    writing ... when they don't do it :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 8, 2004
  14. JedMeister

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Brendan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Write a letter to them and demand compensation. Talk to your local
    >>> MP.
    >>>
    >>> I have noticed Telecom are now deliberatly making it difficult to
    >>> contact them so you are left without recourse. Or so they hope your
    >>> will think.

    >> You know, I might just do that. Any idea of an address and an
    >> adressee for the letter? I think I'd just print out my post, maybe
    >> change it so it doesn't look like a usenet post.
    >>
    >> This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had
    >> the bill for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I
    >> knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.

    > Never ring a telco. Write to them. They will then ring you. Insist
    > they
    > reply to your letter. That way you have what they said they'd do in
    > writing ... when they don't do it :)

    The only problem is that, in the meantime, unless they are really prompt, I
    may be disconnected for non-payment. I had this happen last year and I was
    only 2 weeks past their "please pay by" date. Cost me a fortune to get it
    re-connected, then ages to pay off the kind soul who leant me the money.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2004
  15. JedMeister

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >

    >> This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had
    >> the bill for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I
    >> knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > you can always vote with your wallet and shift everything to
    > TelstraClear. I think when Teresa starts getting a salary reduction
    > becuase of reduced customer numbers she may actually have to work for
    > a living.

    Is that possible? In Pukekohe? Without costing me my other arm and leg?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2004
  16. Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > The only problem is that, in the meantime, unless they are really prompt, I
    > may be disconnected for non-payment. I had this happen last year and I was
    > only 2 weeks past their "please pay by" date. Cost me a fortune to get it
    > re-connected, then ages to pay off the kind soul who leant me the money.

    not if the amount is in dispute... if an amount is in dispute, then it
    shouldnt be considered overdue.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 8, 2004
  17. Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> You know, I might just do that. Any idea of an address and an
    >>> adressee for the letter? I think I'd just print out my post, maybe
    >>> change it so it doesn't look like a usenet post.
    >>>
    >>> This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had
    >>> the bill for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I
    >>> knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.

    >> Never ring a telco. Write to them. They will then ring you. Insist
    >> they
    >> reply to your letter. That way you have what they said they'd do in
    >> writing ... when they don't do it :)

    >The only problem is that, in the meantime, unless they are really prompt, I
    >may be disconnected for non-payment. I had this happen last year and I was
    >only 2 weeks past their "please pay by" date. Cost me a fortune to get it
    >re-connected, then ages to pay off the kind soul who leant me the money.

    See above. Write to them about it. Bonus ... this time they can't ring you
    :)

    Note also ... they can waive their silly fees and penalties if they want to
    ... make em want to :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 9, 2004
  18. Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> The only problem is that, in the meantime, unless they are really prompt, I
    >> may be disconnected for non-payment. I had this happen last year and I was
    >> only 2 weeks past their "please pay by" date. Cost me a fortune to get it
    >> re-connected, then ages to pay off the kind soul who leant me the money.

    >not if the amount is in dispute... if an amount is in dispute, then it
    >shouldnt be considered overdue.

    Yep. They are also unlikely to defend a claim in the small claim court. :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 9, 2004
  19. JedMeister

    whoisthis Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> This really spoiled my day. More like three days actually. I've had
    > >> the bill for three days and had been putting off ringing them as I
    > >> knew it was going to be bad. I just didn't realise how bad.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> --
    > >> ~misfit~
    > >>

    > > you can always vote with your wallet and shift everything to
    > > TelstraClear. I think when Teresa starts getting a salary reduction
    > > becuase of reduced customer numbers she may actually have to work for
    > > a living.

    > Is that possible? In Pukekohe? Without costing me my other arm and leg?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    dial o151 and find out !

    whoisthis, Dec 9, 2004
  20. JedMeister

    Richard Guest

    Re: Telecom tactics. They Suck!!!

    >>Is that possible? In Pukekohe? Without costing me my other arm and leg?
    >>--
    >>~misfit~

    > dial o151 and find out !

    I did, and the person on the phone was no use, couldnt tell me if I was able to
    have the orcon bitstream on the same line without getting there surcharge for
    it, and there toll rates are not as compeditive as the ones I get from my
    current coded provider so I would never get the discount they blab on about
    unless I moved my calls to there considerably higher rates.

    When there is some real competition I will care, till then its the same shit
    with a different name on the bill.

    I would like to get DSL with no phone line, or how about a lower monthly rate
    for dropping the flatrate local calls - we _used_ to have that option but
    telecom took it away.

    Richard, Dec 9, 2004