    Thanks for your help.

    Podge

    , Jul 14, 2008

  2. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <a922a3d1-1ecb-457d-8006-8a47ab8fd1a8
    @c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > Does anyone have experience with using Telecom's USB mobile broadband
    > T-Stick? Does TelstraClear have a similar device? Would there be any
    > need for a home user to have a wired broadband connection if they can
    > use a T-Stick?
    >
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=tpd
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Dunno about Telstraclear, Vodafone have a Vodem (or a PC card) - the
    major drawback for these devices are:
    * very limited coverage at full speed (basically the main cities only)
    * very expensive data

    Haven't used Telecom's T-Stick, but the Vodem works well I find... at
    work/home the notebook is on WiFi, plug the Vodem in "on the road" and
    it just connects up and works (ie the connections work seamlessly
    together).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 14, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Jul 15, 12:44 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <a922a3d1-1ecb-457d-8006-8a47ab8fd1a8
    > @c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >
    > > Does anyone have experience with using Telecom's USB mobile broadband
    > > T-Stick? Does TelstraClear have a similar device? Would there be any
    > > need for a home user to have a wired broadband connection if they can
    > > use a T-Stick?

    > >http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=tpd

    > > Thanks for your help.

    > Dunno about Telstraclear, Vodafone have a Vodem (or a PC card) - the
    > major drawback for these devices are:
    > * very limited coverage at full speed (basically the main cities only)
    > * very expensive data
    >
    > Haven't used Telecom's T-Stick, but the Vodem works well I find... at
    > work/home the notebook is on WiFi, plug the Vodem in "on the road" and
    > it just connects up and works (ie the connections work seamlessly
    > together).
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thanks Duncan, that's interesting. I found some discussion about the T-
    Stick here:

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=23839&page_no=1

    Telecom says that:

    "On average our Mobile Broadband cell sites enable download speeds of
    800Kbps and upload speeds of 300Kbps when using a Mobile Broadband rev
    a data device. "

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=sd

    I guess these speeds would not be as fast as "wired" broadband? If you
    were just using broadband internet at home, do you think it would be
    better and more economical to buy your own router (rather than a T-
    Stick) if you wanted wireless internet for 2 or 3 laptops at home?
    Would the T-Stick system provide a secure way of surfing the internet?

    Podge

    , Jul 14, 2008
  4. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <a5e19c06-9e8b-40bb-8176-abd3f0d677b1
    @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Jul 15, 12:44 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <a922a3d1-1ecb-457d-8006-8a47ab8fd1a8
    > > @c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > >
    > > > Does anyone have experience with using Telecom's USB mobile broadband
    > > > T-Stick? Does TelstraClear have a similar device? Would there be any
    > > > need for a home user to have a wired broadband connection if they can
    > > > use a T-Stick?

    > > >http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=tpd

    > > > Thanks for your help.

    > > Dunno about Telstraclear, Vodafone have a Vodem (or a PC card) - the
    > > major drawback for these devices are:
    > > * very limited coverage at full speed (basically the main cities only)
    > > * very expensive data
    > >
    > > Haven't used Telecom's T-Stick, but the Vodem works well I find... at
    > > work/home the notebook is on WiFi, plug the Vodem in "on the road" and
    > > it just connects up and works (ie the connections work seamlessly
    > > together).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > Thanks Duncan, that's interesting. I found some discussion about the T-
    > Stick here:
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=23839&page_no=1
    >
    > Telecom says that:
    >
    > "On average our Mobile Broadband cell sites enable download speeds of
    > 800Kbps and upload speeds of 300Kbps when using a Mobile Broadband rev
    > a data device. "
    >
    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=sd
    >
    > I guess these speeds would not be as fast as "wired" broadband? If you
    > were just using broadband internet at home, do you think it would be
    > better and more economical to buy your own router (rather than a T-
    > Stick) if you wanted wireless internet for 2 or 3 laptops at home?

    I think it's up to you to answer that - as it all depends on yer usage.
    If you think you'll be using more than a measly 1Gb a month - then yep,
    it's gonna be very expensive (if say you use 10Gb's!!! :)

    It's also easy and conveneient to share your router 'round more than one
    PC at home (WiFi or wired). Wifi router's are cheap now, and well worth
    the convenience IMO. Just secure it with WPA/WPA2 or a RADIUS server
    and change the admin password.

    Speedwise, well even if one of the PC's is so far away from the WiFi
    that the speed drops way down to 10mbit - it's still faster than yer
    ..8mbit T-stick speed - i.e. you're not limiting your internet speed due
    LAN speed.

    > Would the T-Stick system provide a secure way of surfing the internet?

    I don't think so.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 15, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Jul 15, 3:30 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <a5e19c06-9e8b-40bb-8176-abd3f0d677b1
    > @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >

    > > On Jul 15, 12:44 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > > In article <a922a3d1-1ecb-457d-8006-8a47ab8fd1a8
    > > > @c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Dunno about Telstraclear, Vodafone have a Vodem (or a PC card) - the
    > > > major drawback for these devices are:
    > > > * very limited coverage at full speed (basically the main cities only)
    > > > * very expensive data

    > > > Haven't used Telecom's T-Stick, but the Vodem works well I find... at
    > > > work/home the notebook is on WiFi, plug the Vodem in "on the road" and
    > > > it just connects up and works (ie the connections work seamlessly
    > > > together).

    > > > --
    > > > Duncan

    > > Thanks Duncan, that's interesting. I found some discussion about the T-
    > > Stick here:

    > >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=23839&page_no=1

    > > Telecom says that:

    > > "On average our Mobile Broadband cell sites enable download speeds of
    > > 800Kbps and upload speeds of 300Kbps when using a Mobile Broadband rev
    > > a data device. "

    > >http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=sd

    > > I guess these speeds would not be as fast as "wired" broadband? If you
    > > were just using broadband internet at home, do you think it would be
    > > better and more economical to buy your own router (rather than a T-
    > > Stick) if you wanted wireless internet for 2 or 3 laptops at home?

    > I think it's up to you to answer that - as it all depends on yer usage.
    > If you think you'll be using more than a measly 1Gb a month - then yep,
    > it's gonna be very expensive (if say you use 10Gb's!!! :)
    >
    > It's also easy and conveneient to share your router 'round more than one
    > PC at home (WiFi or wired).  Wifi router's are cheap now, and well worth
    > the convenience IMO.  Just secure it with WPA/WPA2 or a RADIUS server
    > and change the admin password.
    >
    > Speedwise, well even if one of the PC's is so far away from the WiFi
    > that the speed drops way down to 10mbit - it's still faster than yer
    > .8mbit T-stick speed - i.e. you're not limiting your internet speed due
    > LAN speed.
    >
    > > Would the T-Stick system provide a secure way of surfing the internet?

    > I don't think so.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Thanks Duncan, yes the future price of $56.19 per month for 1GB, with
    an additional 1GB for $11.25 (then 57 cents per MB after that) makes
    it a lot more expensive than a dedicated wired broadband
    installation.

    http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3555&page=1&pagesize=10

    The much slower data speed of the T-Stick is also a factor to consider
    as you mention. But, perhaps in the future, if the speed of a T-Stick
    and the monthly costs could be brought into line with wired broadband
    plans, then a T-Stick would be the best option, provided the data was
    secure. However, I think the idea of a T-Stick that can easily be used
    anywhere in the country and on any computer, is great. For people
    whose internet usage is quite modest, and for people who travel a lot,
    it's a good option to consider now.

    Podge

    , Jul 15, 2008
  6. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <39169080-a336-4739-8790-cce6639168ba@
    34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Jul 15, 3:30 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <a5e19c06-9e8b-40bb-8176-abd3f0d677b1
    > > @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > > Thanks Duncan, that's interesting. I found some discussion about the T-
    > > > Stick here:

    > > >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=39&TopicId=23839&page_no=1

    > > > Telecom says that:

    > > > "On average our Mobile Broadband cell sites enable download speeds of
    > > > 800Kbps and upload speeds of 300Kbps when using a Mobile Broadband rev
    > > > a data device. "

    > > >http://www.telecom.co.nz/tstick?nv=sd

    > > > I guess these speeds would not be as fast as "wired" broadband? If you
    > > > were just using broadband internet at home, do you think it would be
    > > > better and more economical to buy your own router (rather than a T-
    > > > Stick) if you wanted wireless internet for 2 or 3 laptops at home?

    > > I think it's up to you to answer that - as it all depends on yer usage.
    > > If you think you'll be using more than a measly 1Gb a month - then yep,
    > > it's gonna be very expensive (if say you use 10Gb's!!! :)
    > >
    > > It's also easy and conveneient to share your router 'round more than one
    > > PC at home (WiFi or wired).  Wifi router's are cheap now, and well worth
    > > the convenience IMO.  Just secure it with WPA/WPA2 or a RADIUS server
    > > and change the admin password.
    > >
    > > Speedwise, well even if one of the PC's is so far away from the WiFi
    > > that the speed drops way down to 10mbit - it's still faster than yer
    > > .8mbit T-stick speed - i.e. you're not limiting your internet speed due
    > > LAN speed.
    > >
    > > > Would the T-Stick system provide a secure way of surfing the internet?

    > > I don't think so.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > Thanks Duncan, yes the future price of $56.19 per month for 1GB, with
    > an additional 1GB for $11.25 (then 57 cents per MB after that) makes
    > it a lot more expensive than a dedicated wired broadband
    > installation.
    >
    > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3555&page=1&pagesize=10
    >
    > The much slower data speed of the T-Stick is also a factor to consider
    > as you mention. But, perhaps in the future, if the speed of a T-Stick
    > and the monthly costs could be brought into line with wired broadband
    > plans, then a T-Stick would be the best option, provided the data was
    > secure. However, I think the idea of a T-Stick that can easily be used
    > anywhere in the country and on any computer, is great. For people
    > whose internet usage is quite modest, and for people who travel a lot,
    > it's a good option to consider now.

    Absolutely - hey I love the (Vodafone) Vodem, it's great when out and
    about. I imagine that Telecom's coverage is much better than Vodafone's
    G3 broadband coverage - hopefully you can find a page on Telecom to say
    what it is - still probably find it's chit (just the main cities).

    So yeah, it doesn't work anywhere in the country - you drop back to
    dialup speeds out of main cities, and then you drop back to nothing at
    all (and (on the Vodem anyway) you don't have to go far). Bit
    dissapointing really. However, it works for me - I don't head off into
    the country, or out on the boat, and expect it to work - I use it in
    town (ChCh) 99% of the time.

    That, and the small data cap (Vodafone do 1Gb for $49, but if you go
    over, they have a "$10 insurance" for the next one Gb - so it's 2Gb for
    $59) - yer make sure you don't do your Windows Update (or Linux updates
    either) with it! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 15, 2008
  7. Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:43:02 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <39169080-a336-4739-8790-cce6639168ba@
    >34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >> On Jul 15, 3:30 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> > In article <a5e19c06-9e8b-40bb-8176-abd3f0d677b1
    >> > @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, says...

    >> > I think it's up to you to answer that - as it all depends on yer usage.
    >> > If you think you'll be using more than a measly 1Gb a month - then yep,
    >> > it's gonna be very expensive (if say you use 10Gb's!!! :)
    >> >
    >> > It's also easy and conveneient to share your router 'round more than one
    >> > PC at home (WiFi or wired).  Wifi router's are cheap now, and well worth
    >> > the convenience IMO.  Just secure it with WPA/WPA2 or a RADIUS server
    >> > and change the admin password.
    >> >
    >> > Speedwise, well even if one of the PC's is so far away from the WiFi
    >> > that the speed drops way down to 10mbit - it's still faster than yer
    >> > .8mbit T-stick speed - i.e. you're not limiting your internet speed due
    >> > LAN speed.

    >> > I don't think so.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> Thanks Duncan, yes the future price of $56.19 per month for 1GB, with
    >> an additional 1GB for $11.25 (then 57 cents per MB after that) makes
    >> it a lot more expensive than a dedicated wired broadband
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3555&page=1&pagesize=10
    >>
    >> The much slower data speed of the T-Stick is also a factor to consider
    >> as you mention. But, perhaps in the future, if the speed of a T-Stick
    >> and the monthly costs could be brought into line with wired broadband
    >> plans, then a T-Stick would be the best option, provided the data was
    >> secure. However, I think the idea of a T-Stick that can easily be used
    >> anywhere in the country and on any computer, is great. For people
    >> whose internet usage is quite modest, and for people who travel a lot,
    >> it's a good option to consider now.

    >Absolutely - hey I love the (Vodafone) Vodem, it's great when out and
    >about. I imagine that Telecom's coverage is much better than Vodafone's
    >G3 broadband coverage - hopefully you can find a page on Telecom to say
    >what it is - still probably find it's chit (just the main cities).
    >
    >So yeah, it doesn't work anywhere in the country - you drop back to
    >dialup speeds out of main cities, and then you drop back to nothing at
    >all (and (on the Vodem anyway) you don't have to go far). Bit
    >dissapointing really. However, it works for me - I don't head off into
    >the country, or out on the boat, and expect it to work - I use it in
    >town (ChCh) 99% of the time.
    >
    >That, and the small data cap (Vodafone do 1Gb for $49, but if you go
    >over, they have a "$10 insurance" for the next one Gb - so it's 2Gb for
    >$59) - yer make sure you don't do your Windows Update (or Linux updates
    >either) with it! :)

    With Vodafone my last few phones have let me use them to do the data
    connection for the computer via USB, Bluetooth, or Infrared. i.e. you
    don't need to buy the Vodem if you have a 3G phone.
    Casual data rates on Prepay at the moment are $10 per mb, which
    changes to $1 per 10mb per day later this month which will make it
    slightly more useable.

    They don't mention how the part charging is going to work which
    concerns me. The Web browser on my phone saves me getting out of bed
    to check the snow report at the moment :)

    Craig Shore, Jul 15, 2008