    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:26:50 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    > contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    > is released, sources, say."

    They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "I didn't think; I experimented." -- Wilhelm Roentgen

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2004 2:38:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Brendan wrote:
    >>ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    >>contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    >>is released, sources, say."

    > They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    thats what I was thinking, but no doubt Telecom will close that
    "loophole" soon enough.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:26:50 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    >> contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    >> is released, sources, say."

    > They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    Yes, like Call Plus did to get around the Kiwi Share funding.

    Chris, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:38:30 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    > thats what I was thinking, but no doubt Telecom will close that
    > "loophole" soon enough.

    Probably, but it could prove difficult.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "We must remember the First Amendment, which protects any shrill jackass, no matter how self-seeking." -- F.G. Withington

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2004 4:55:22 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/16FA6ACE360C15CACC256EEF003360DD
    >
    > The three most interesting paragraphs are below.
    >
    > "New Zealand ISPs will soon have a second option of the wholesale DSL
    > Unbundled Bitstream Service available ? if they haven't already been
    > locked into the commercial service the telco is currently promoting."
    >
    > "Asked if providers are allowed to switch from Telecom?s UBS to the
    > regulated service, Linstrom replies that the Telecommunications Act
    > "precludes" an ISP "from seeking a determination for a service while
    > they have a commercial contract for supply of that service currently in
    > force.?
    >
    > ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    > contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    > is released, sources, say."

    Having seen them do this several times in the past 7-8 years, I'm amzed the
    Government and the Telecoms Commissioner were sucked in yet again.

    Telecom has never dealt in good faith.

    The problem underlying all of this is they were gifted an infrastructure
    built over generations by taxpayers that NO competitor can replicate and
    remain viable.

    Just one more example of Richard Prebble's gross incompetence. He "Saved
    Rail", too.

    So much so we had to buy the tracks back to prevent them becoming rust
    streaks.

    steve, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:26:50 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    >> contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    >> is released, sources, say."

    > They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    ....and Telecom could refuse to deal with the subsidiary...and everyone's off
    to court.

    Very productive.

    steve, Aug 16, 2004
  8. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    21:48:44 +1200, steve <> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/16FA6ACE360C15CACC256EEF003360DD
    > >
    > > The three most interesting paragraphs are below.
    > >
    > > "New Zealand ISPs will soon have a second option of the wholesale DSL
    > > Unbundled Bitstream Service available ? if they haven't already been
    > > locked into the commercial service the telco is currently promoting."
    > >
    > > "Asked if providers are allowed to switch from Telecom?s UBS to the
    > > regulated service, Linstrom replies that the Telecommunications Act
    > > "precludes" an ISP "from seeking a determination for a service while
    > > they have a commercial contract for supply of that service currently in
    > > force.?
    > >
    > > ISPs who sign up for the Telecom's "commercial" service may find their
    > > contracts prevent them from switching to the regulated service when it
    > > is released, sources, say."

    > Having seen them do this several times in the past 7-8 years, I'm amzed the
    > Government and the Telecoms Commissioner were sucked in yet again.
    >
    > Telecom has never dealt in good faith.
    >
    > The problem underlying all of this is they were gifted an infrastructure
    > built over generations by taxpayers that NO competitor can replicate and
    > remain viable.
    >
    > Just one more example of Richard Prebble's gross incompetence. He "Saved
    > Rail", too.
    >
    > So much so we had to buy the tracks back to prevent them becoming rust
    > streaks.

    We didn't have to buy them back, but the Green Party of NZ insisted we
    had to.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:49:32 +1200, steve wrote:

    >> They could start a subsidary to get around that.

    > ...and Telecom could refuse to deal with the subsidiary...and everyone's off
    > to court.
    >
    > Very productive.

    Don't think they have the choice when regulated.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The passions often engender their contraries." -- Francois La Rochefoucauld

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/08/2004 2:03:18 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 17, 2004