    flying out.

    But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    be more expensive. Doh!
    whome, Jan 30, 2007

  2. whome

    thingy Guest

    whome wrote:
    > Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    > are sending out their sales drones now.
    >
    > Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    > him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    > bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >
    > I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    > which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    > could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    > (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    > roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    > hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    > flying out.
    >
    > But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    > be more expensive. Doh!

    like duh.....but like spam, try it with enough people and only a small %
    is needed for a win.

    GSM with sim card also means you can go anywhere and get a pre-pay sim
    and you are away....minimal cost, of course telescum get no % so wont
    like that.....if travelling abroad one phone and a few sim cards makes
    so much sense....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 30, 2007

  3. whome wrote:

    > But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
    > would be more expensive. Doh!

    We are duty bound to help Telecom reach it's targets.
    There are rice bowls to be kept full.

    grumpy
    grumpyoldhori, Jan 30, 2007
  4. whome

    Kent Smith Guest

    whome wrote:
    > Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
    > telecom are sending out their sales drones now.
    >
    > Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When
    > I told him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill.
    > After seeing my bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about
    > my mobile.
    > I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my
    > number which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre
    > suggestion that I could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a
    > telecom phone for outgoing (cos they have cheaper call rates
    > according to him). Then, I could still roam using my GSM phone.
    > While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on hold or something - i
    > didn't quite get this as the recommendations were flying out.
    >
    > But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
    > would be more expensive. Doh!

    You probably could have convinced him to switch to Vodafone if you tried.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Jan 30, 2007
  5. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in

    > Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    > are sending out their sales drones now.
    >
    > Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    > him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    > bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >
    > I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    > which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    > could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    > (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    > roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    > hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    > flying out.
    >
    > But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    > be more expensive. Doh!

    I have a simple way of dealing with them.

    When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
    then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"

    Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
    until he tells you.

    Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
    as your employer's time. Go away."

    They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
    are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"

    That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
    they're so thick they need to be told twice.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... The generation that took acid to escape from reality is now taking
    antacid to deal with reality.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 30, 2007
  6. whome

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in
    >
    >> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
    >> telecom
    >> are sending out their sales drones now.

    (snip)

    Telecom must be getting desperate, if they have to send sales people door to
    door.
    I got one of their phone survey people, who wanted to know what I used the
    computer for. I said "Newsgroups".
    I don't think she knew the difference between newsgroups and Chat rooms.

    I like debating religion with the callers. I don't think they have ever
    heard of some of the stuff I can come up with. Now I
    know the proper name of one theory, thanks to a newsgroup debate.
    "Homoousia". Let's see how many callers know what it means.

    The spell checker suggests "Humorous". Hmmm...............

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Jan 30, 2007
  7. In article <>, "whome" <> wrote:
    >Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    >are sending out their sales drones now.
    >
    >Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    >him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    >bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >
    >I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    >which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    >could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    >(cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    >roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    >hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    >flying out.
    >
    >But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    >be more expensive. Doh!

    ... and why was this person not treated in the same manner as the religious
    types ? ... ie why would you waste your time chatting ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 31, 2007
  8. whome

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in
    >
    >> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    >> are sending out their sales drones now.
    >>
    >> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    >> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    >> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >>
    >> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    >> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    >> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    >> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    >> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    >> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    >> flying out.
    >>
    >> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    >> be more expensive. Doh!

    > I have a simple way of dealing with them.
    >
    > When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
    > then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
    >
    > Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
    > until he tells you.
    >
    > Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
    > as your employer's time. Go away."
    >
    > They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
    > are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
    >
    > That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
    > they're so thick they need to be told twice.

    Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
    leave so fast.
    --

    cheers
    Warwick, Jan 31, 2007
  9. whome

    whome Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:epokke$lo0$...
    > In article <>, "whome"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
    >>telecom
    >>are sending out their sales drones now.
    >>
    >>Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I
    >>told
    >>him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing
    >>my
    >>bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >>
    >>I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    >>which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    >>could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    >>(cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could
    >>still
    >>roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    >>hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    >>flying out.
    >>
    >>But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
    >>would
    >>be more expensive. Doh!

    > .. and why was this person not treated in the same manner as the religious
    > types ? ... ie why would you waste your time chatting ? :)

    I'm a lonely guy?

    seriously, I wanted to see what this guys pitch.
    whome, Jan 31, 2007
  10. On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:45:34 +1300, Warwick <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    >>> are sending out their sales drones now.
    >>>
    >>> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    >>> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    >>> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    >>> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    >>> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    >>> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    >>> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    >>> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    >>> flying out.
    >>>
    >>> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    >>> be more expensive. Doh!

    >> I have a simple way of dealing with them.
    >>
    >> When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
    >> then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
    >>
    >> Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
    >> until he tells you.
    >>
    >> Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
    >> as your employer's time. Go away."
    >>
    >> They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
    >> are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
    >>
    >> That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
    >> they're so thick they need to be told twice.

    > Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
    > leave so fast.

    I don't think the god-botherers would care too much about your credit
    rating.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source
    of mind-boggling amounts of shit when you least expect it.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 31, 2007
  11. whome

    BTMO Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote

    >> Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
    >> leave so fast.

    > I don't think the god-botherers would care too much about your credit
    > rating.

    Just start undressing and tell them you have unnatural sexual urges, and you
    will help them with their hobby after they help you with yours.

    WARNING - DO NOT attempt this with professional members of the clergy. You
    may have to listen to their spiel after all!
    BTMO, Jan 31, 2007
  12. whome

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:45:54 +1300, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >GSM with sim card also means you can go anywhere and get a pre-pay sim
    >and you are away....minimal cost, of course telescum get no % so wont
    >like that.....if travelling abroad one phone and a few sim cards makes
    >so much sense....

    Depends. This time I just used my Vodafone NZ roaming on Vodafone Oz.
    You pay the same rate for your calls, which for me was 49c/min within
    Oz and to NZ.
    Craig Shore, Jan 31, 2007
  13. whome

    Rob S Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:45:34 +1300, Warwick <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in

    >>> I have a simple way of dealing with them.
    >>>
    >>> When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
    >>> then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
    >>>
    >>> Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
    >>> until he tells you.
    >>>
    >>> Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
    >>> as your employer's time. Go away."
    >>>
    >>> They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
    >>> are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
    >>>
    >>> That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
    >>> they're so thick they need to be told twice.

    >> Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
    >> leave so fast.

    > I don't think the god-botherers would care too much about your credit
    > rating.

    When the salesdroids come knocking, I pull out a contract form requiring
    them to pay me to listen to their pitch. Works every time. :Uh, well bye
    then"

    Hehe

    http://simpsons.net.nz/salesdroid_contract.pdf if you want a looksee
    and/or a copy (looks much smarter when printed with a logo and all)

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    SNMP = Security? Not My Problem!
    Rob S, Feb 1, 2007
  14. Warwick wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
    >>> are sending out their sales drones now.
    >>>
    >>> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
    >>> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
    >>> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
    >>>
    >>> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
    >>> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
    >>> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
    >>> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
    >>> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
    >>> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
    >>> flying out.
    >>>
    >>> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
    >>> be more expensive. Doh!

    >> I have a simple way of dealing with them.
    >>
    >> When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
    >> then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
    >>
    >> Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
    >> until he tells you.
    >>
    >> Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
    >> as your employer's time. Go away."
    >>
    >> They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
    >> are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
    >>
    >> That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
    >> they're so thick they need to be told twice.

    > Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
    > leave so fast.

    My favourite with door to door types of any sort.

    Sure come in, we can talk while I do some cleaning then I proceed to extract
    one of my firearms from its safe and start field stripping it, boy they
    generally are not happy to talk for long

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 1, 2007
  15. whome

    Miche Guest

    In article <epoc03$1n7$>, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
    > >> telecom
    > >> are sending out their sales drones now.

    > (snip)
    >
    > Telecom must be getting desperate, if they have to send sales people door to
    > door.

    We had one turn up about six months ago. Started out with "Hi, do you
    have a cellphone?" When I said I did, he asked which provider I was
    with. He got flummoxed when I told him it was none of his business.

    Miche

    --
    In the monastery office --
    Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
    Miche, Feb 4, 2007