  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Mark C wrote:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthisland/0,2106,3349485a13938,0
    >> 0.html

    > heh, nice one orcon...
    > "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
    > Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
    > complaint."

    Elsewhere:
    http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/232444CFFD9ADC6ECC25703F0009B334
    .... they are quoted as saying:
    "Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
    the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
    loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
    such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
    afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

    Mark C, Jul 20, 2005
  4. In article <42dd9c08$0$15230$>,
    Mark C <> wrote:

    >http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthisland/0,2106,3349485a13938,00.html

    "Once you get into regulation, you get businesses that are more and
    more dependent on regulation for their business case," [Bruce Parkes,
    Telecom's government and industry relations manager.] said.

    "With the ISPs, they essentially rely on the Commerce Commission and
    regulation to create a business for them.

    "All I see is Ihug and the other ISPs displaying exactly what you
    would expect out of a regulatory regime. It's the same around the
    world, it breeds a culture of complaints."

    Glad to see Telecom bravely sounding the clarion call for Free
    Enterprise...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Mark C

    Kent Smith Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthisland/0,2106,3349485a13938,0
    >>> 0.html

    >> heh, nice one orcon...
    >> "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
    >> Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
    >> complaint."

    > Elsewhere:
    > http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/232444CFFD9ADC6ECC25703F0009B334
    > ... they are quoted as saying:
    > "Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
    > the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
    > loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
    > such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
    > afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

    No they could still choose to buy wholesale services from those that have
    their own exchanges.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/centralnorthisland/0,2106,3349485a13938,0
    >>> 0.html

    >> heh, nice one orcon...
    >> "Mr Marston said every ISP in the country, with the exception of
    >> Orcon, Telecom's Xtra and TelstraClear, agreed with the
    >> complaint."

    > Elsewhere:
    > http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/232444CFFD9ADC6ECC25703F0009B334
    > ... they are quoted as saying:
    > "Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
    > the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
    > loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
    > such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
    > afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

    Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
    on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Mark C

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>Elsewhere:
    >>http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/232444CFFD9ADC6ECC25703F0009B334
    >>... they are quoted as saying:
    >>"Orcon's managing director, Seeby Woodhouse, says he didn't sign
    >>the letter because he doesn't agree with the request for local
    >>loop unbundling. With LLU, Woodhouse says only the bigger players
    >>such as TelstraClear, Iinet/Ihug and possibly CallPlus could
    >>afford to put their own equipment into the exchanges."

    > Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
    > on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.

    Unbundlling will not benifit people on exchanges that are not viable for other
    ISPs to install there kit into.

    NZ needs to replace the kiwishare with a universal service tax on
    telecommunications that an independant body decides what telco will provide
    service to areas if there is to be unbundling, otherwise telecom get to make
    figures up for there kiwishare obligations and other providers are required to
    pay. If there is unbundling then those customers will not have a choice as no
    other provider can charge the others for the privilage of having those customers.

    Richard, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Mark C

    colinco Guest

    In article ~misfit~ says...
    > Yeah, that's understandable. After all, Seeby's gotta keep up the payments
    > on his Ferrari, his first priority is definitely not the customer.

    ALL the isps want their own Ferraris. A lot of them expect Telecom to
    chip in with the down payment.

    colinco, Jul 21, 2005