Telecom offers compensation for recent outages

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by goodfella, May 30, 2006.

  1. goodfella

    goodfella Guest

    Crediting your Telecom account for recent network problems

    Dear ##subscriber##

    Firstly, we'd like to apologise if you were affected by the
    recent email and Internet connection problems at Xtra.

    Dealing with occasional faults is a fact of life for any
    Internet company, but in this case fixing them took longer
    than we would have liked.

    We know the delays were frustrating so thanks for your
    patience while we put things right.

    If you were affected, we'd like to offer you a one-off
    credit on your Telecom account, equivalent to four days of
    your monthly Internet plan charge. This covers the time from
    when the problems started to when we restored service for
    all of our customers.

    To receive your credit, simply enter your details at
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/xtraplancredit by 28 June 2006.

    You will need your Telecom account number to complete the
    form. You can find this number in the top right hand corner
    of your Telecom bill.

    Kind regards

    The Team @ Xtra

    Click here for IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/xtraplancredit

    This is a service related message about products and services
    you have with Xtra. If you do not wish to receive any
    promotional emails from Xtra, please visit the following link:
    http://eid.co.nz/xta2672a/bo_optout.asp?j=v8w5slpw

    You will still receive service emails like this from time to time.

    This email is deployed by proximity iD on behalf of Xtra.

    goodfella, May 30, 2006

  2. goodfella

    -=rjh=- Guest

    goodfella wrote:
    > Crediting your Telecom account for recent network problems

    etc

    Check out Aardvark today, Bruce points out that a much bigger credit may
    possibly apply.

    -=rjh=-, May 30, 2006

  3. goodfella

    goodfella Guest

    god points -=rjh=-

    with respect and without permission i have copied bruce's comments over
    here as below .. the original is avaliable on bruces website via t :
    http://www.aardvark.co.nz/

    Last week Telecom announced that those affected by the collapse of the
    Xtra ISP service lasting several days would be entitled to compensation
    of up to a massive $3.25 -- woo hoo!

    However, if you think you're entitled to a refund you have to go
    begging, cap in hand to an Xtra webpage and then jump through hoops to
    prove your entitlement.

    This means, as reported in the tabloid press, Telecom have reneged on a
    previous claim that customers need do nothing to claim their
    compensation.

    Now have your say
    Got something to say about today's column, or want to see what others
    think? Visit The Forums

    While you're here, why not visit the Aardvark Hall of Shame and perhaps
    make your own nomination. 7
    Obviously lots of Xtra customers are not best-pleased at the way
    Telecom have handled this fiasco.

    Not only is three or four days an awfully long time to be without
    access to the internet, especially email -- but $3.25 is a piddly
    amount of compensation for the outage.

    I seem to recall one of the claims made for DSL by Telecom is that
    "it's "always on" (as stated on this page), maybe they ought to revisit
    that statement.

    But what other claims made by Telecom have been blown out of the water
    by Xtra's recent stuff-ups?

    Well one eagle-eyed reader spotted some interesting elements of
    Telecom's residential terms and conditions that are worthy of
    investigation...

    Section 15 contains a statement that:

    "We have given you a commitment to fix at no charge all faults on our
    network or in equipment you rent from us which are not caused by you"

    "If you are still without a Telecom service because of a fault in any
    of these things more than 24 hours after you tell us about the fault,
    or if we miss an arranged visit, call us on 120. You can choose either
    a credit to your Telecom account of one month's worth of your Telecom
    residential line rental or $50 worth of PhoneCards"

    Based on this, I would expect that being without your Telecom-provided
    broadband service for more than 24 hours qualifies you for a month's
    free line rental or $50 worth of phone-cards -- not a meagre $3.25.

    Right now I'm sure someone's thinking "but hey, this was a fault at
    *XTRA* and not on Telecom's DSL network so that won't apply right?

    Well if you check out the "Xtra Broadband Terms" you'll see that it
    says "Xtra JetStream is also subject to Telecom Standard Terms" and,
    wouldn't you know it, those "Standard Terms actually include the
    "Residential Terms and Conditions" originally quoted above.

    Another interesting point is the apparent removal of the satisfaction
    guarantee that I claimed on a few months ago. Under this guarantee,
    Telecom would issue a single credit of up to $200 or so if you were
    dissatisfied with the performance of your broadband connection.

    Strangely enough -- all mention of that has now vanished since the
    fiasco of earlier this month, I wonder why?

    Okay, so Telecom have back-peddled like hell, gone back on their word,
    pulled their satisfaction guarantees and generally tried to make it not
    worth our while to apply for the miserable $3.25 compensation on offer
    -- so what can we do?

    Well perhaps we should show them just how expensive it can be to play
    the scrooge?

    I strongly recommend that *everyone* who was affected by this outage
    rings Telecom's 123 line and speaks to an operator about claiming a
    proper refund of a month's free line rental or $50 phone cards -- as
    per the terms of residential supply referenced in Xtra's own documents.

    No doubt they'll argue that the terms of the Xtra service contract
    over-ride those of the Telecom Residential one -- but you should spend
    plenty of time debating this issue, quoting chapter and verse if
    necessary. Remember that operator time is a *cost* to Telecom and if
    enough people tie up their staff for long enough, they might just
    concede that it's going to hurt a lot more to play scrooge than it
    would do just to be fair and reasonable.

    How many Xtra broadband customers are there? If each spent 20 minutes
    on the phone lobbying their case, that would cost Telecom a small
    fortune and totally destroy the economic advantage of trying to duck
    the call for *fair* compensation.

    Let's put Telecom's new claims to "play fair" to the test shall we?

    goodfella, May 30, 2006
  4. goodfella

    Vista Guest

    "goodfella" <> wrote in message

    > god points -=rjh=-
    >
    > with respect and without permission i have copied bruce's comments over
    > here as below .. the original is avaliable on bruces website via t :
    > http://www.aardvark.co.nz/

    That credit actually refers only to phone connections. eg. if your actual
    phone isn't working for 24 hours.

    What is interesting, is that they appear to have modified their conditions,
    without notifing their clients. Just wondering if anyone has seen a notice
    in the paper regarding the change to the T&Cs.

    Vista, May 30, 2006