    It seems to be a new thing, as it was fine 3 or so weeks ago. Anyone else
    having this problem or know anything more?

    Gay
    brazen, Aug 10, 2006

  2. brazen

    EMB Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Anyone else use this that isnt an Xtra customer?
    >
    > I've been using it for about 6 months fine, and suddenly about 3 weeks ago I
    > find that I cannot send mail when out and about. Apparently now I have to
    > use Xtra's smtp server, so this means changing all my mail account settings
    > when I go out, and changing them back again when back in the office to our
    > office ISP.
    >
    > It seems to be a new thing, as it was fine 3 or so weeks ago. Anyone else
    > having this problem or know anything more?

    Yep - Xtra have blocked port 25 on their network. It's been notified
    for quite a while. Depending on the mailserver you use it may have
    another port open that you can use for sending mail (one of the hosting
    places we use has 2525 open to get around this).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 11, 2006

  3. >
    > Yep - Xtra have blocked port 25 on their network. It's been notified for
    > quite a while. Depending on the mailserver you use it may have another
    > port open that you can use for sending mail (one of the hosting places we
    > use has 2525 open to get around this).

    Common Practice is to use Authentiated SMTP on the Submission Port of an
    SMTP Server when port 25 is blocked..

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Aug 11, 2006
  4. brazen

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:02:01 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Yep - Xtra have blocked port 25 on their network. It's been notified
    > for quite a while. Depending on the mailserver you use it may have
    > another port open that you can use for sending mail (one of the hosting
    > places we use has 2525 open to get around this).

    He could use gmail - ssl port 495 IIRC for smtp.

    Free.

    I notice my Harrier's built in outlook express seems to have no system for
    changing ports tho, so had to hunt out another app that does. Anyone know
    how to get around this ? outlook is more integrated... (all via mobile
    broadband)

    --

    .... Brendan

    #4848 +(5380)- [X]

    <ohm> damn
    <ohm> ****
    <ohm> DAMN
    <ohm> i was just in an AIM convo with a chick, and my grandmother's window
    pops up
    <ohm> ****
    <ohm> i go like this to her
    <ohm> "i want to suck on your clit"
    <ohm> ****

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/08/2006 2:02:28 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Aug 11, 2006
  5. brazen wrote:
    > Anyone else use this that isnt an Xtra customer?
    >
    > I've been using it for about 6 months fine, and suddenly about 3 weeks ago I
    > find that I cannot send mail when out and about. Apparently now I have to
    > use Xtra's smtp server, so this means changing all my mail account settings
    > when I go out, and changing them back again when back in the office to our
    > office ISP.
    >
    > It seems to be a new thing, as it was fine 3 or so weeks ago. Anyone else
    > having this problem or know anything more?
    >
    > Gay

    Simple, VPN to your office network, or as we do configure your exchange for OWA
    (Exchange Outlook Web Mail) both work but OWA is better.

    I suspect since these data cards/phones are not sold with an xtra email service
    that the Commerce Commission might find this limitation to be of interest.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Aug 11, 2006
  6. brazen

    Juha Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > I notice my Harrier's built in outlook express seems to have no
    > system for changing ports tho, so had to hunt out another app that
    > does. Anyone know how to get around this ? outlook is more
    > integrated... (all via mobile broadband)

    If you do:

    mailserver.some.domain:port-number

    in the E-mail Setup page, it should work, /but/ you may have to create a
    new mailbox instead of modifying the settings for your existing one.

    Flames > Pocket Outlook team at Microsoft.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04sept02.mspx

    "Transcript: Mobile Devices, September 2, 2004
    Published: 2004-09-016

    Host: ChadWhitney (Microsoft)

    Q: Will Pocket Outlook ever support sending SMTP email over TCP port
    587, as outlined in RFC 2476?

    A: Good question, and one I unfortunately don't have a good answer to.
    This is something else I can pass on to our Messaging team for
    investigation. I'm keeping a list."

    Hope they've figured it out by now...

    --
    Juha Saarinen
    www.geekzone.co.nz/juha
    Juha, Aug 11, 2006
  7. brazen

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:15:36 +1200, Juha wrote:

    > If you do:
    >
    > mailserver.some.domain:port-number
    >
    > in the E-mail Setup page, it should work, /but/ you may have to create a
    > new mailbox instead of modifying the settings for your existing one.

    Hey, thanks!

    --

    .... Brendan

    #9322 +(6736)- [X]