Telecom Jetstream / UBS "early disconnection promo fee"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    This is an update on previous posts on this topic.

    Maybe some of you have had this problem - or you are about to.

    I was on Jetstream Plus with Telecom (2mbps) and my nominal ISP was
    Orcon.

    In late July, Orcon called me and told me I would have to move to UBS or
    my ADSL would cease to be usable as the Jetstream connection would
    remain - but would have no ISP associated with it.

    I was moved to UBS on August 19th and Orcon remained my ISP.

    In my September Telecom bill, I was dinged for $99 for early
    disconnection of my Jetstream Plus service (8 months out of the 12 in
    the promo period). That seemed a bit on the nose, given that I had not
    initiated the change to my service - Telecom had. Plus I had had the
    same service for a previous year at my old address - so had been a
    Telecom ADSL customer for well over a year all up at both addresses.

    Anyway....phone calls to Telecom and Orcon shed little light on
    matters....and I lodged a complaint with the Commerce Commission on
    September 23rd.

    They responded today and apparently what happened to me should NOT have
    happened and the advice from Telecom to the Commerce Commission was that
    under the JPP (Jetstream Partnering Programme) the enforced move-to-UBS
    agrement with ISPs, I guess) there were to be no charges for people in
    my situation.

    I was told to contact my ISP and ask them to pursue a refund with
    Telecom for a $99 credit to my phone account. That may take 2-3 months.

    This is where things sit at the moment...and the CC has asked me to let
    them know what happens.

    The relevant content of the CC note sent to me is pasted here:

    We have been advised that a Jetstream Partnering Programme (JPP)
    customer would have a relationship with an ISP other than Xtra and would
    have Jetstream provided by Telecom. Such end users may be subject to
    disconnection fees applied by their ISP.

    In relation to the Jetstream access provided by Telecom, the general
    position is that these customers are not normally subject to
    disconnection fees. However, there may be a small number of end users
    who are subject to ?early disconnection fee? arrangements. Under the
    JPP, various promotions with a 12 month term commitment have flowed
    through to end customers. Accordingly such Jetstream customers of
    Telecom (while having an ISP other than Xtra) may be subject to an
    ?early disconnection fee? for not meeting the agreed term commitment.
    Promotions that involve such a contract term include Free Connection
    offers. We understand that Telecom have advised ISPs that their policy
    is that such end users should not be penalised as a result of the JPP
    withdrawal.

    In order to avoid such customers being charged a disconnection fee,
    Telecom has taken a number of steps to avoid this occurring and say that
    if any of these JPP customers have been charged this is regrettable.

    Such customers should contact their ISP who will confirm that they have
    migrated as part of the JPP withdrawal. This ISP will pass their
    details on to Telecom Wholesale who will arrange for the credit to be
    placed on the end customer?s account.

    steve, Oct 20, 2005

  2. steve

    Elisha Guest

    Steve,

    I know the Telecommunications process inside out.

    My comments in no way represent the company I work for, of which will
    remain nameless.

    >In late July, Orcon called me and told me I would have to move to UBS or
    >my ADSL would cease to be usable as the Jetstream connection would
    >remain - but would have no ISP associated with it.

    My personal take on this.
    Orcon have mislead you by false advertising. They perhaps didn't know,
    but ultimately this is their fault. The fee is definately a
    Inter-carrier fee, and Telecom send Orcon a bill for the change. Orcon
    should have been made aware of this, however Telecommunications Billing
    is very complex and few people get it right.

    Orcon should refund you on your next bill.

    How can you get this to happen?

    At Orcon there will be a Customer rep, that you'll be able to talk to
    hopefully.
    Explain the situation, and ask them to talk to the interconnect person.
    Ask them to call you back within 2 days.
    Ask then to be transferred to accounts and explain the situation and
    ask them if you can dispute your next bill.

    Effectively under the consumers guaruntee's act you should be able to
    swing this. You could seek advice from the citzens advice burea on
    this. I think it's www.cab.org

    One person can get things to happen even in large corperates, just clog
    the communication channels and they'll give you your refund..

    All the best.

    Elisha, Oct 20, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Elisha wrote:

    > My personal take on this.
    > Orcon have mislead you by false advertising.  They perhaps didn't know,
    > but ultimately this is their fault.  The fee is definately a
    > Inter-carrier fee, and Telecom send Orcon a bill for the change.  Orcon
    > should have been made aware of this, however Telecommunications Billing
    > is very complex and few people get it right.
    >
    > Orcon should refund you on your next bill.

    The problem here was that it was Telecom who billed me the $99.....not
    Orcon.

    Does that alter your advice?

    steve, Oct 20, 2005
  4. steve

    colinco Guest

    In article steve says...
    > > Orcon should refund you on your next bill.

    > The problem here was that it was Telecom who billed me the $99.....not
    > Orcon.
    >
    > Does that alter your advice?

    Did Orcon get the $158 from Telecom when you went to UBS?

    colinco, Oct 21, 2005
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    colinco wrote:

    > In article steve says...
    >> > Orcon should refund you on your next bill.

    >> The problem here was that it was Telecom who billed me the $99.....not
    >> Orcon.
    >>
    >> Does that alter your advice?
    >>

    > Did Orcon get the $158 from Telecom when you went to UBS?
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3430492a28,00.html

    I have no idea.

    All I know is that I was billed $99 by Telecom for "early disconnection".

    The information supporting my position of rightfully expecting that money
    back from SOMEBODY (looked like Telecom to me - but it doesn't matter) is
    contained in the extract from the e-mail the Commerce Commission sent to
    me.

    steve, Oct 21, 2005