    Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    Telex
    Usenet

    Peter, May 3, 2006

  2. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:20:31 +1200, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >
    >Morse code telegraphs
    >Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    >The telegram network
    >Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    >Telex
    >Usenet

    Actually, you can still send telegrams...

    Fred Dagg, May 3, 2006

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:20:31 +1200, Peter <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >>
    >>Morse code telegraphs
    >>Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    >>The telegram network
    >>Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    >>Telex
    >>Usenet

    > Actually, you can still send telegrams...

    ....just as Xtra customers can access Usenet via Google.

    Peter, May 3, 2006
  4. In article <>, says...
    > NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >
    > Morse code telegraphs
    > Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    > The telegram network
    > Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    > Telex
    > Usenet

    Also customer service. Became obsolete 1990. R.I.P

    Peter McCallum, May 3, 2006
  5. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:28:57 +1200, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:20:31 +1200, Peter <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >>>
    >>>Morse code telegraphs
    >>>Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    >>>The telegram network
    >>>Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    >>>Telex
    >>>Usenet

    >> Actually, you can still send telegrams...

    >...just as Xtra customers can access Usenet via Google.

    LOL! Nice.

    Fred Dagg, May 3, 2006
  6. Peter

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:28:57 +1200, Peter <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:20:31 +1200, Peter <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Actually, you can still send telegrams...

    >>...just as Xtra customers can access Usenet via Google.

    > LOL! Nice.

    Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    all use webmail.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 3, 2006
  7. Peter

    MarkH Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in

    > Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make
    > them all use webmail.

    GMail is better than Xtra Mail and can be used through the web or with
    standard mail clients. If I was an Xtra customer I would not use Xtra
    Mail!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, May 4, 2006
  8. Peter

    Brian Dooley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >
    >Morse code telegraphs
    >Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    >The telegram network
    >Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)

    And my neighbour, Ron Elliot, who was possibly the last bicycle
    riding deliverer..

    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 4, 2006
  9. Peter

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 21:44:46 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:20:31 +1200, Peter <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>NZPO / Telecom historic items in rough chronological order:
    >>
    >>Morse code telegraphs
    >>Magneto telephones (those with a handle)
    >>The telegram network
    >>Telegrams (via Telex and phone messages)
    >>Telex
    >>Usenet

    >Actually, you can still send telegrams...

    But not via Ron Elliot, who has been retired these many years.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 4, 2006
  10. Peter

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:45:54 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:28:57 +1200, Peter <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >>>...just as Xtra customers can access Usenet via Google.

    >> LOL! Nice.

    >Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >all use webmail.

    With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    under the new regime.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 4, 2006
  11. Peter

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Brian Dooley wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:45:54 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:28:57 +1200, Peter <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> LOL! Nice.

    >> Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >> all use webmail.

    > With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    > under the new regime.

    There should be one at the top, especially given Gattung's appalling
    performance on TV3 last night.

    Given that unbundling is likely a done deal, it is pointless for her to
    bitch and moan about it, she should be moving Telecom to make the best
    of the new situation and providing what is best for their customers, and
    making statements that will encourage investors. The game has changed
    completely, she's got to get over it.

    Saying that Telecom will re-evaluate its investment options in NZ isn't
    something that anyone wants to hear.

    -=rjh=-, May 5, 2006
  12. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:59:24 +1200, Brian Dooley
    <> exclaimed:

    >>Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >>all use webmail.

    >With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    >under the new regime.

    "With a bit of luck?!?"

    What a wanker.

    Fred Dagg, May 5, 2006
  13. Peter

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    > she should be moving Telecom to make the best
    >of the new situation and providing what is best for their customers, and
    >making statements that will encourage investors.

    In a press conference in Australia today, she said that is exactly what
    they are going to do.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, May 5, 2006
  14. Peter

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Brian Dooley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:45:54 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:28:57 +1200, Peter <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> LOL! Nice.

    >>Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >>all use webmail.

    > With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    > under the new regime.

    Her 'divine' leadership has so far cost shareholders NZ$billion and
    counting.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 5, 2006
  15. Peter

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 6 May 2006 00:51:06 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    >> under the new regime.

    >Her 'divine' leadership has so far cost shareholders NZ$billion and
    >counting.

    Huh?

    I'm no Theresa fanboy, but you can't really blame her for this one!

    Fred Dagg, May 5, 2006
  16. On Sat, 06 May 2006 01:04:30 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 6 May 2006 00:51:06 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    ><> exclaimed:
    >
    >>> With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    >>> under the new regime.

    >>Her 'divine' leadership has so far cost shareholders NZ$billion and
    >>counting.

    >Huh?
    >
    >I'm no Theresa fanboy, but you can't really blame her for this one!

    Too right you can. If Telecom had not pissed around with UBS and had
    provided something more in line with the spirit of what was wanted,
    instead of doing the minimum they could get away with as late as they
    could get away with, then the Government would not have been forced
    into unbundling. With the very predictable result. And when Telecom
    knew that unbundling was coming, as was pretty obvious for the last
    couple of months, they should have started a PR campaign to prevent
    the silly dumping of their shares when the announcement came. Or at
    the very least had that campaign ready to go the day the announcement
    came. So Theresa has a *lot* to answer for.

    Stephen Worthington, May 5, 2006
  17. Peter

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >> she should be moving Telecom to make the best
    >> of the new situation and providing what is best for their customers, and
    >> making statements that will encourage investors.

    > In a press conference in Australia today, she said that is exactly what
    > they are going to do.

    I saw that, and what a difference. Obviously disappointed, but much more
    positive.

    -=rjh=-, May 5, 2006
  18. Peter

    Brian Dooley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"Brian Dooley" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:45:54 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message

    >>>Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >>>all use webmail.

    >> With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    >> under the new regime.

    >Her 'divine' leadership has so far cost shareholders NZ$billion and
    >counting.

    Actually I was thinking of the smartarses who sent the nasty
    posts to the people who had been their customers.

    They are definitely candidates for sitting in the naughty circle.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 6, 2006
  19. Peter

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:29:28 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:59:24 +1200, Brian Dooley
    ><> exclaimed:
    >

    >>>Ahh, let them shut down their complimentary mail servers too and make them
    >>>all use webmail.

    >>With a bit of luck there might be some redundancies at Telecom
    >>under the new regime.

    >"With a bit of luck?!?"
    >
    >What a wanker.

    Been there, done that.