    Can you guys comment on the ISPs above or suggest better alternatives?

    Cheers,

    Alan

    Alan Howard, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Alan Howard

    EMB Guest

    http://www.xnet.co.nz/content/internet_hsi_products.shtml

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Alan Howard

    Tim Guest

    I had the same thing happen to me and at first I was incredibly pissed off
    by the imposition and inconvenience.

    However... I was also having to pay for static IP from my ISP (iHug) in
    addition to the adsl service from telecom. The static IP was essential and
    The total ISP charge in addition to adsl was over $40 a month - add to that
    $69.95 for the ADSL and its a fair amount. At the time this was the best I
    could get.

    When I first looked at the ISP charge rates they nearly made me puke, but
    they must have been out of date. Now for $69.95 I get basically the same
    thing (the upstream rate is I think going to be a tad slower) I get the same
    limit (10GB), 2mbs down, *free* static IP and save around $40 a month. Prior
    to that it was full speed jetstream (with a petty 600mb limit) IE 8mbs down
    / max up, not that I ever noticed any downloads go any faster than they do
    now - they max out around 200kb / sec. First thing I will be doing is
    reviewing the usability of the link and checking download speed, and my
    ability to remote administer sites.

    The guy at iHug was most helpful and followed all the way through. I am due
    to switch tomorrow and change static IP then... Just watch out for accounts.
    I already had my own ADSL modem and already was 8 months into the 1 year
    supposed contract with telecom - iHug accounts told me *after* everything
    had been agreed that I would be up for a 12 month $100 disconnection fee -
    which they will never get out of me as a) they attempted to amend the terms
    and conditions of the agreement after the agreement was formed, and b) I
    already have 8 months clocked up - 4 months balance is fair enough, but then
    I never agreed to the same thing with telescum either, never got an ADSL
    modem off them and had already been on adsl for a few years. Plus they were
    advertising free connection at the time.

    Few people talk about iHug, but my experience to date has been that they
    have been quite good. Or to put it another way - compared to Telecom / Xtra
    they are infinitely better. How they compare to other ISP's I do not know.
    Their DNS response times are good enough for me never to have concern.

    HTH

    Tim, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Alan Howard

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:22:00 +1300, Tim wrote:

    > Few people talk about iHug, but my experience to date has been that they
    > have been quite good. Or to put it another way - compared to Telecom / Xtra
    > they are infinitely better. How they compare to other ISP's I do not know.
    > Their DNS response times are good enough for me never to have concern.

    I connect presently through Telecom/Xtra.

    However, I use my own DNS server, and do not at all use Telecom's ones.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

    Bling Bling, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Alan Howard

    MarkH Guest

    "Alan Howard" <> wrote in

    > Telecom are moving me off my stand-alone JetStream plan and
    > TelstraClear haven't got our dwelling cabled. I'm in central
    > Wellington and currently with Paradise.
    >
    > I'm looking at moving to Orcon, ICONZ or Maxnet. I'm looking at a
    > 2Mb/128Mb plan with around a 10GB cap. I need a static IP and use the
    > connection mostly for browsing, email, gaming, downloads, etc. - no
    > VOIP or video conferencing. I also host a couple of 'light' servers.
    > Preferably data won't be shaped but I'm not into heavy P2P so this
    > probably isn't a biggie. I just want quick and reliable service I'm
    > not getting gouged for.
    >
    > Can you guys comment on the ISPs above or suggest better alternatives?

    In terms of value for money it is hard to beat Orcon's new plans. They
    seem to be getting faster for mail/news/web/ftp, but they still traffic
    shape the P2P. I am regularly getting downloads at over 200 Kbytes/sec, it
    is pretty nice to download a 650MB CD image in about 52 minutes!

    I don't have any experience with online gaming though.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Alan Howard

    EMB Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > I had the same thing happen to me and at first I was incredibly pissed off
    > by the imposition and inconvenience.
    >
    > However... I was also having to pay for static IP from my ISP (iHug) in
    > addition to the adsl service from telecom. The static IP was essential and
    > The total ISP charge in addition to adsl was over $40 a month - add to that
    > $69.95 for the ADSL and its a fair amount. At the time this was the best I
    > could get.

    UBS static IP's are available for no charge from ihug now.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 16, 2005
  7. Alan Howard

    EMB Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > In terms of value for money it is hard to beat Orcon's new plans. They
    > seem to be getting faster for mail/news/web/ftp, but they still traffic
    > shape the P2P. I am regularly getting downloads at over 200 Kbytes/sec, it
    > is pretty nice to download a 650MB CD image in about 52 minutes!

    Watch this space - informed rumour has it that a couple of the other
    ISP's are due to release new plans this week that will be comparable.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 16, 2005
  8. In message <disgjp$f6v$>, EMB wrote:

    > UBS static IP's are available for no charge from ihug now.

    That, too, is what I was told (I'm with Wave, which is an Ihug subsidiary).
    In fact, I think I've got a static IP right now, even though I didn't
    explicitly ask for one. (Not that I'm currently running anything that needs
    one.)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Alan Howard

    Stu Fleming Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> In terms of value for money it is hard to beat Orcon's new plans.
    >> They seem to be getting faster for mail/news/web/ftp, but they still
    >> traffic shape the P2P. I am regularly getting downloads at over 200
    >> Kbytes/sec, it is pretty nice to download a 650MB CD image in about 52
    >> minutes!

    > Watch this space - informed rumour has it that a couple of the other
    > ISP's are due to release new plans this week that will be comparable.

    Did your informed rumour extend to knowing whether one of those is
    Wellington-based with an Australian accent?

    Stu Fleming, Oct 16, 2005
  10. Alan Howard

    EMB Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:

    > Did your informed rumour extend to knowing whether one of those is
    > Wellington-based with an Australian accent?

    No comment - I was told of various happenings in confidence and I'm not
    going to break that. However I will suggest that anyone looking to
    change ISPs waits for a day or two until the new offerings come out.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 16, 2005
  11. Alan Howard

    Stu Fleming Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Stu Fleming wrote:
    >
    >> Did your informed rumour extend to knowing whether one of those is
    >> Wellington-based with an Australian accent?

    > No comment - I was told of various happenings in confidence and I'm not
    > going to break that. However I will suggest that anyone looking to
    > change ISPs waits for a day or two until the new offerings come out.

    Just wondering, since the Paradise rep told me "end of year" timeframe
    for fixing my static IP issues...and there was a major IP address shift
    just recently. Just saying...

    Stu Fleming, Oct 16, 2005
  12. In article <4351854d$>,
    says...
    > Telecom are moving me off my stand-alone JetStream plan and TelstraClear
    > haven't got our dwelling cabled. I'm in central Wellington and currently
    > with Paradise.
    >
    > I'm looking at moving to Orcon, ICONZ or Maxnet. I'm looking at a 2Mb/128Mb
    > plan with around a 10GB cap. I need a static IP and use the connection
    > mostly for browsing, email, gaming, downloads, etc. - no VOIP or video
    > conferencing. I also host a couple of 'light' servers. Preferably data won't
    > be shaped but I'm not into heavy P2P so this probably isn't a biggie. I just
    > want quick and reliable service I'm not getting gouged for.
    >
    > Can you guys comment on the ISPs above or suggest better alternatives?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Alan

    Alan, why do you need a static IP?

    If I am guessing right and it's because of your 'light servers' --- then
    you may not need it. Iconz will host a domain for free (what's even
    better, they don't require you to have your tolls with them in order to
    get decent internet plan prices - I couldn't believe how much the
    quality of my toll calls improved after I went from Ihug back to
    telecom!) and the way it was explained to me is, they will forward
    traffic directed at the domain to you, dynamically. I expect they run a
    ddns server or something...

    might be worth looking into.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Alan Howard

    EMB Guest

    russell wrote:
    > EMB <> wrote in news:dist6s$6rj$:
    >
    >>No comment - I was told of various happenings in confidence and I'm not
    >>going to break that. However I will suggest that anyone looking to
    >>change ISPs waits for a day or two until the new offerings come out.

    > ihug now offer 2Mbps on all plans

    And charge like fsck if you don't put your tolls with them - for
    comparable data caps there's now a $30 price gouge if you don't give
    them your tolls.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 17, 2005
  14. Alan Howard

    russell Guest

    russell, Oct 17, 2005
  15. Alan Howard

    russell Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:diva8n$kca$:

    >> ihug now offer 2Mbps on all plans

    > And charge like fsck if you don't put your tolls with them - for
    > comparable data caps there's now a $30 price gouge if you don't give
    > them your tolls.

    I know that why i'm not an ihug customer they charge like a wounded bull

    russell, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Alan Howard

    russell Guest

    russell <> wrote in

    >>> ihug now offer 2Mbps on all plans

    >> And charge like fsck if you don't put your tolls with them - for
    >> comparable data caps there's now a $30 price gouge if you don't give
    >> them your tolls.
    >>

    > I know that why i'm not an ihug customer they charge like a wounded bull

    Just notice my times out by an hour sorry

    russell, Oct 17, 2005
  17. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    > Telecom are moving me off my stand-alone JetStream plan and TelstraClear
    > haven't got our dwelling cabled. I'm in central Wellington and currently
    > with Paradise.
    >
    > I'm looking at moving to Orcon, ICONZ or Maxnet. I'm looking at a
    > 2Mb/128Mb plan with around a 10GB cap. I need a static IP and use the
    > connection mostly for browsing, email, gaming, downloads, etc. - no VOIP
    > or video conferencing. I also host a couple of 'light' servers. Preferably
    > data won't be shaped but I'm not into heavy P2P so this probably isn't a
    > biggie. I just want quick and reliable service I'm not getting gouged for.
    >
    > Can you guys comment on the ISPs above or suggest better alternatives?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Alan

    Thanks for the comments so far. I'm going to add iHug to the list to look at
    too. With Orcon's USB service, is that just 'JetStream' wrapped in another
    brand or a slightly different technology? I've seen others on here saying
    it's a bit crap, especially wrt latency. Comments?

    Alan Howard, Oct 17, 2005
  18. Alan Howard

    steve Guest

    Alan Howard wrote:

    > Telecom are moving me off my stand-alone JetStream plan and TelstraClear
    > haven't got our dwelling cabled. I'm in central Wellington and currently
    > with Paradise.
    >
    > I'm looking at moving to Orcon, ICONZ or Maxnet. I'm looking at a
    > 2Mb/128Mb plan with around a 10GB cap. I need a static IP and use the
    > connection mostly for browsing, email, gaming, downloads, etc. - no VOIP
    > or video conferencing. I also host a couple of 'light' servers. Preferably
    > data won't be shaped but I'm not into heavy P2P so this probably isn't a
    > biggie. I just want quick and reliable service I'm not getting gouged for.
    >
    > Can you guys comment on the ISPs above or suggest better alternatives?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Alan

    If you signed up for ADSL via Telecom and they gave you the $99 install free
    as a promo, be careful if you've been on ADSL less than their promo period.

    I shifted house in January - disconnecting ADSL at one address and
    connecting it at a new one - and they pushed me off Jetstream Plus in
    August.

    Becasue I had the service at the present address for less than 12 months,
    they billed me for $99......despite the decision to push me off being
    entirely theirs.

    I have complaints in with the Commerce Commission and the Consumers
    Institute have advised me to take it to the Disputes Tribunal.

    Meanwhile, a helpful Telecom phone centre person has found a way to apply
    some other promo to my account for a slight service alteration and credited
    me $60.....so I'm only out $39 at this point.

    steve, Oct 18, 2005
  19. Alan Howard

    Alan Howard Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > If you signed up for ADSL via Telecom and they gave you the $99 install
    > free
    > as a promo, be careful if you've been on ADSL less than their promo
    > period.
    >
    > I shifted house in January - disconnecting ADSL at one address and
    > connecting it at a new one - and they pushed me off Jetstream Plus in
    > August.
    >
    > Becasue I had the service at the present address for less than 12 months,
    > they billed me for $99......despite the decision to push me off being
    > entirely theirs.
    >
    > I have complaints in with the Commerce Commission and the Consumers
    > Institute have advised me to take it to the Disputes Tribunal.
    >
    > Meanwhile, a helpful Telecom phone centre person has found a way to apply
    > some other promo to my account for a slight service alteration and
    > credited
    > me $60.....so I'm only out $39 at this point.

    Yeah, I wondered about this too. I paid for both a self-install and a
    full-install in Palmerston North (at two separate locations), and then
    another self-intall when I shifted to Wellington. I've been here over 18
    months. I don't see why I should have to pay for yet another self-install
    because I'm forced to change ISPs. I don't know who should pay though,
    Telecom because they're forcing me to move or 'The Commerce Commission" for
    their naff ruling - I'm assuming that this is behind Telecom's inability to
    sell JetStream directly.

    Alan Howard, Oct 18, 2005
  20. Alan Howard

    Mercury Guest

    I'll probably have to wait for the next couple of bills to see what happens.
    If either party tries to rip me off, then straight to court. No point in
    pissing around.

    Mercury, Oct 18, 2005