telecom fibre to the cabinet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nospam, Jun 4, 2011.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Chorus or Telecom or whoever they are have just installed a new comms
    cabinet with fibre to the cabinet, just up the road from me. My ISP
    is world exchange. Does fibre to the cabinet mean everyone in the
    area automatically gets the benefit of the fibre optic cable or is it
    only Telecom customers?
     
    nospam, Jun 4, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 4/06/2011 7:23 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >
    > Chorus or Telecom or whoever they are have just installed a new comms
    > cabinet with fibre to the cabinet, just up the road from me. My ISP
    > is world exchange. Does fibre to the cabinet mean everyone in the
    > area automatically gets the benefit of the fibre optic cable or is it
    > only Telecom customers?


    Unless you are on an unbundled loop connection, then yes.

    I dont believe that WxC do any unbundled connections so you should be
    fine. But your neighbours on dishonest ISPs that installed a unbundled
    connection to an address that was getting cabnitized soon will soon find
    their connections virtually useless as the weak signal from the exchange
    miles away is swamped by all the crosstalk from the cabinet.

    Some of the extra dishonest ISPs were even trying to require a new
    contract be committed to when they were no longer able to provide the
    service, inorder to move back to a wholesale telecom plan that would
    operate from the cabinet (cough slingshot cough)

    Expect some downtime as things are patched over and weird speeds as they
    tinker with noise margins to keep the exchange supplied connections
    working till everyone is migrated over.
     
    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. nospam

    Boots Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:00:53 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > I dont believe that WxC do any unbundled connections so you should be
    > fine. But your neighbours on dishonest ISPs that installed a unbundled
    > connection to an address that was getting cabnitized soon will soon find
    > their connections virtually useless as the weak signal from the exchange
    > miles away is swamped by all the crosstalk from the cabinet.


    Why would there be any cross-talk in a well-designed comms cabinet with
    fibre links?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Boots, Jun 4, 2011
    #3
  4. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 4/06/2011 11:21 p.m., Boots wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:00:53 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I dont believe that WxC do any unbundled connections so you should be
    >> fine. But your neighbours on dishonest ISPs that installed a unbundled
    >> connection to an address that was getting cabnitized soon will soon find
    >> their connections virtually useless as the weak signal from the exchange
    >> miles away is swamped by all the crosstalk from the cabinet.

    >
    > Why would there be any cross-talk in a well-designed comms cabinet with
    > fibre links?


    Because the cable in the ground was never put in with the intention of
    use of the frequencies that DSL uses. Inject a signal at one point of
    the bundle and it will be much stronger than the signal in the adjacent
    pair traveling many km from the exchange.
     
    Richard, Jun 4, 2011
    #4
  5. nospam

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:15:01 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Because the cable in the ground was never put in with the intention of
    > use of the frequencies that DSL uses. Inject a signal at one point of
    > the bundle and it will be much stronger than the signal in the adjacent
    > pair traveling many km from the exchange.


    I would imagine that if they're putting fibre to a comms cabinet then
    everything to that point will be carried by fibre.


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
     
    Boots, Jun 4, 2011
    #5
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:43:42 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:15:01 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Because the cable in the ground was never put in with the intention of
    >> use of the frequencies that DSL uses. Inject a signal at one point of
    >> the bundle and it will be much stronger than the signal in the adjacent
    >> pair traveling many km from the exchange.

    >
    >I would imagine that if they're putting fibre to a comms cabinet then
    >everything to that point will be carried by fibre.


    Well the new cabinet's in and the old cabinet's gone but I still have
    the same old internet speed, so it's copper in and copper out right
    now, even though the fibre cable is there.
     
    nospam, Jun 5, 2011
    #6
  7. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    > On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:43:42 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:15:01 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because the cable in the ground was never put in with the intention
    >>> of use of the frequencies that DSL uses. Inject a signal at one
    >>> point of the bundle and it will be much stronger than the signal in
    >>> the adjacent pair traveling many km from the exchange.

    >>
    >> I would imagine that if they're putting fibre to a comms cabinet then
    >> everything to that point will be carried by fibre.

    >
    > Well the new cabinet's in and the old cabinet's gone but I still have
    > the same old internet speed, so it's copper in and copper out right
    > now, even though the fibre cable is there.


    /Or/ mayhap the "copper out" is and was the limiting factor? You jump to
    conclusions sir.
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
     
    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2011
    #7
  8. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:42:38 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    >> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:43:42 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 00:15:01 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Because the cable in the ground was never put in with the intention
    >>>> of use of the frequencies that DSL uses. Inject a signal at one
    >>>> point of the bundle and it will be much stronger than the signal in
    >>>> the adjacent pair traveling many km from the exchange.
    >>>
    >>> I would imagine that if they're putting fibre to a comms cabinet then
    >>> everything to that point will be carried by fibre.

    >>
    >> Well the new cabinet's in and the old cabinet's gone but I still have
    >> the same old internet speed, so it's copper in and copper out right
    >> now, even though the fibre cable is there.

    >
    >/Or/ mayhap the "copper out" is and was the limiting factor? You jump to
    >conclusions sir.


    But copper out is 200 meters from my house whereas the exchange is 4.1
    kilometers so my speed is hardly likely to remain the same. There's
    no chance the fibre is in circuit yet dude.
     
    nospam, Jun 5, 2011
    #8
  9. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 5/06/2011 11:14 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > Boots wrote:
    >> On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:00:53 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I dont believe that WxC do any unbundled connections so you should be
    >>> fine. But your neighbours on dishonest ISPs that installed a
    >>> unbundled connection to an address that was getting cabnitized soon
    >>> will soon find their connections virtually useless as the weak
    >>> signal from the exchange miles away is swamped by all the crosstalk
    >>> from the cabinet.

    >>
    >> Why would there be any cross-talk in a well-designed comms cabinet
    >> with fibre links?

    >
    > There is no crosstalk involved when likely all traffic goes down the same
    > tube. Be the tube optical fibre, or the previous cable. The ISP factor is
    > virtual, not physical (except Telstra Clear in some areas).
    >
    > geoff
    >
    >

    Not when they are unbundled ISPs servicing it from the exchange still,
    so its patched straight past the isam in the cabinet like a voice only
    circuit is.
     
    Richard, Jun 5, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    454
  2. Jam

    Ventelating a CPU cabinet

    Jam, Feb 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,234
  3. JR North

    OT: Need to find this VHS Cabinet

    JR North, Dec 2, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    356
    Ed E.
    Dec 3, 2003
  4. Brandon Wolgast

    Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - which version?

    Brandon Wolgast, Jan 30, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    789
    robert gray
    Feb 2, 2004
  5. Cliff
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,277
Loading...

Share This Page