    I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    exchange.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 22, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Peter Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
    >
    > I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from
    > adsl2 (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close
    > to an exchange.

    Good thinking.
    I'd be interested to know how many telephone exchanges there are in NZ, to
    verify Telecom's claim that well over 90% are covered by ADSL access.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 22, 2006

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    colinco Guest

    In article news.xtra.co.nz says...
    > I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    > (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    > exchange.

    Telecom claim to be moving the DSL equipment out into neighbourhood
    cabinets to reduce the length of copper. Eventually the number of
    exchanges will be drastically reduced. They might be selling off as much
    surplus property as possible to finance some of this :)
    colinco, Mar 22, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:

    >Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
    >
    >I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    >(when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    >exchange.

    You will be hard pushed to get an address list or even see the words
    Telephone Exchange on a building these days. The only indication may
    ne a NZ coat of arms on the side of a large square building with a MW
    dish and cell phone aerials on top
    Mutlley, Mar 22, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
    >>
    >> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    >> (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    >> exchange.
    >>

    > You will be hard pushed to get an address list or even see the words
    > Telephone Exchange on a building these days. The only indication may
    > ne a NZ coat of arms on the side of a large square building with a MW
    > dish and cell phone aerials on top

    Our local exchange is small and has none of the above. And best of all,
    it is probably <500m from our place. Still stuck with expensive and slow
    ADSL, though :-(

    BTW, I would assume that even asking for this information in the US
    would get probably get a DHS squad on your doorstep PDQ. Apparently
    "terrorists" would find the location of exchanges to be useful information.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2006
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    -=rjh=- Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article news.xtra.co.nz says...
    >> I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    >> (when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    >> exchange.
    >>

    > Telecom claim to be moving the DSL equipment out into neighbourhood
    > cabinets to reduce the length of copper. Eventually the number of
    > exchanges will be drastically reduced. They might be selling off as much
    > surplus property as possible to finance some of this :)

    Surely not, won't they just finance it by charging exorbitant rents to
    ISPs and others who want to use their circuits when unbundling happens?
    When few ISPs take up the offer, Telecom will be able to tell the govt
    they were right all along and that unbundling was pointless and of no
    benefit, even though the real killer will have been the ADSL2+ roadside
    gear.

    Basically, we're hosed. Bet even Vodafone's wireless BB will be too
    expensive, purely because they only have to compete against Telecom -
    since Woosh will probably not be a major player by then.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 22, 2006
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    cyril Guest

    Telecom claim that when they roll out there upcomming FTTC (Fibre to
    the curb) and ADSL2+ from those curb side cabinets, that they will be
    reducing there number of exhanges from 700 to 100, discarding some 600
    properties.

    As I see it this must be a plus as to achieve the above the backbone
    fibre that will feed this will be significantly beefed up removing the
    current traffic bottle necks.

    >From my understanding each of these cabinets can contain lines cards in

    48 increments and upto 192subs/cabinet max, each cabinet is part of a
    clusters of upto 30 local cabinets (ie 1440subs) being feed from a
    24Gb/s fibre set, this gives roughly 17Mb/s for each sub if all running
    max'd out. It is telecoms intention to drop the pots service all
    together, therefore a ana is required at each residence, or a dsl
    router and ip phone.

    All this assumes that the main backbone is up to speed to feed all
    this.

    Cyril
    cyril, Mar 22, 2006
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    colinco Guest

    In article -=rjh=- says...
    > Surely not, won't they just finance it by charging exorbitant rents to
    > ISPs and others who want to use their circuits when unbundling happens?

    If the exchange goes, so will the copper. "IF" Telecom let ISPs share
    their fibre to the curb the ISP will have to dig their own hole to live
    in.
    colinco, Mar 22, 2006
  9. In article <HSbUf.7957$>, "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote:
    >Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?
    >
    >I am thinking of moving house sometime, and, in order to benefit from adsl2
    >(when it is released) it may be beneficial to find somewhere close to an
    >exchange.

    Sadly, data that you get from telecom may not be correct. I can see a box
    containing all the ADSL connection stuff you can possibly want ... but
    apparently, before telecom will turn it on, they need 8 requests from
    different phone numbers that connect to it to do so. How this happens when
    you don't know that it's there in the first place eludes me ... but obiously
    it is possible. :)

    As is usual with telecom, don't take "no" as any kind of an answer :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 23, 2006
  10. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:51:09 -0800, someone purporting to be cyril didst
    scrawl:

    *SNIP*
    > All this assumes that the main backbone is up to speed to feed all
    > this.

    If they use Gig-E it is. If they persist with using ATM, well, who knows.
    The cell overheads with ATM are ridiculous (30%?), and that's part of the
    reason why ISP's have been crying out for NNI to replace the need for ATM
    links for the UBS back haul.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Mar 23, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    cyril Guest

    Is not NNI just a format of ATM, your post indicates that you want ATM
    replaced with NNI, surely you mean UNI ATM endpoints replaced with NNI
    ATM.

    Cyril
    cyril, Mar 23, 2006
  12. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:59:16 -0800, someone purporting to be cyril didst
    scrawl:

    > Is not NNI just a format of ATM, your post indicates that you want ATM
    > replaced with NNI, surely you mean UNI ATM endpoints replaced with NNI
    > ATM.

    1) It's really helpful for others if you leave in enough of the post to
    which you are replying for people to understand what you're talking about.
    2) What I've read implies that NNI is ethernet, not ATM. ISP's aren't
    happy about the endpoint costs of ATM, amongst other complaints, so I also
    don't see how moving to a different implementation of ATM would help
    things.

    Matthew Poole, Mar 23, 2006
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote
    in news:gWlUf.8025$:

    > Sadly, data that you get from telecom may not be correct. I can see a
    > box containing all the ADSL connection stuff you can possibly want ...
    > but apparently, before telecom will turn it on, they need 8 requests
    > from different phone numbers that connect to it to do so. How this
    > happens when you don't know that it's there in the first place eludes
    > me ... but obiously it is possible. :)
    >
    > As is usual with telecom, don't take "no" as any kind of an answer :)

    This is stupid and should be escalated. What kind of policy is that? The
    build is done, provision it...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 23, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    colinco Guest

    In article Matthew Poole says...
    > 2) What I've read implies that NNI is ethernet, not ATM. ISP's aren't
    > happy about the endpoint costs of ATM, amongst other complaints, so I also
    > don't see how moving to a different implementation of ATM would help
    > things.

    Read further. E-NNI seems preferred if referring to ethernet. Alcatel
    technology seems to be driving this based on Telecom's use of terms like
    "Triple Play". For all you know they could have something Ethernet up
    their sleeve already.
    colinco, Mar 23, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Peter Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Is there a listing of the telecom exchange addresses?

    Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I think it would be unwise for such a list
    to be publically available either by Telecom or by a private compiler.
    Granted, an observant person living in a locality for a while would get to
    know where they are - they are generally on fairly busy roads near the
    centre of the localities they serve. Most of them are pretty empty now,
    the electronic switches requiring about a quarter of the space of the old
    electromechanical switches (eg one exchange building in Wellington also
    houses computers used by WETA for movie rendering). Their siting and
    numbers was generally a trade-off between cabling costs and exchange
    establishment costs, the average suburban exchange traditionally having up
    to 10,000 lines or so and central city ones 20,000 lines or so. Even if
    Telecom was not renewing the network (except for the last half kilometre),
    they would meet increased demand with fibre optic overlays and street
    cabinets, rather than build new exchanges.
    Peter, Mar 23, 2006
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 22 Mar 2006 13:51:09 -0800, "cyril" <> wrote:

    >Telecom claim that when they roll out there upcomming FTTC (Fibre to
    >the curb) and ADSL2+ from those curb side cabinets, that they will be
    >reducing there number of exhanges from 700 to 100, discarding some 600
    >properties.

    Why don't they just run the fibre into people's houses?
    Craig Shore, Mar 25, 2006
  17. In article <Xns978FE0E2A99D1daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote
    >in news:gWlUf.8025$:
    >
    >> Sadly, data that you get from telecom may not be correct. I can see a
    >> box containing all the ADSL connection stuff you can possibly want ...
    >> but apparently, before telecom will turn it on, they need 8 requests
    >> from different phone numbers that connect to it to do so. How this
    >> happens when you don't know that it's there in the first place eludes
    >> me ... but obiously it is possible. :)
    >>
    >> As is usual with telecom, don't take "no" as any kind of an answer :)

    >This is stupid

    ... tautology. Telecom was already mentioned :)

    > and should be escalated. What kind of policy is that? The
    >build is done, provision it...

    It's a telecom kind of policy. :) :)
    But read their terms and conditions. Rough translation "we promise nothing;
    you promise to pay whatever we say you should pay". :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 27, 2006