    And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    Thanks
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?
    > And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    No, and because they are wankers.

    You cant even get their two way wireless(radio signal) without a phone line.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Nathan Mercer

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:37:39 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?
    >
    > And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    It's called naked DSL in the US, and they've only really just started
    doing it there.

    http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1077728434.html

    As for the why not, I think you already know that :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 4, 2004
  4. Nathan Mercer

    steve Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

    No

    > And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
    copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
    at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
    of those if you don't have a phone account.

    But I'm sure they could provide a "virtual" phone number if they wanted to.
    steve, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Nathan Mercer

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:06:10 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

    >No
    >
    >> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    >No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
    >copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
    >at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
    >of those if you don't have a phone account.

    ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
    infrastructure, but that is all.

    Cheers,

    Cliff.
    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Nathan Mercer

    steve Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:06:10 +1300, steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know if Telecom will sell me a DSL line without a home phoneline?

    >>No
    >>
    >>> And if not, why not? (apart from the obvious reason)

    >>No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
    >>copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
    >>at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
    >>of those if you don't have a phone account.
    >>

    > ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
    > infrastructure, but that is all.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff.

    If you call Paradise and ask to have an ADSL account created for your
    ADSL-enabled Telecom phone line.....they will ask you for your telephone
    number.

    If I call TelstraClear and ask for an ADSL account.....I think I still need
    a Telecom phone line........the TelstraClear phone line won't do......

    So it may be 'separate' infrastructure......but it's all Telecom. So the
    issue of separation may be more semantic than real. :)
    steve, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Nathan Mercer

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <ihA2c.34670$>, says...
    > Enkidu wrote:

    > >>No

    > >>No reason but the obvious reason: They won't deliver ADSL over your local
    > >>copper unless you have a phone account with them. It may be that the setup
    > >>at the telecom end requires a valid phone number....and you can't have one
    > >>of those if you don't have a phone account.
    > >>

    > > ADSL and phones are two seperate systems. They share the same
    > > infrastructure, but that is all.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Cliff.

    > If you call Paradise and ask to have an ADSL account created for your
    > ADSL-enabled Telecom phone line.....they will ask you for your telephone
    > number.
    >
    > If I call TelstraClear and ask for an ADSL account.....I think I still need
    > a Telecom phone line........the TelstraClear phone line won't do......

    But you can do Telstra cable service over your Telstra line - why do you
    need Telecom ADSL?
    Mainlander, Mar 7, 2004