    company's shoddy behavior.

    Who can we lobby to get action on this?

    Philip

    Philip, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Philip

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <435d7314$>,
    Philip <> wrote:

    > Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    > This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    > take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    > move to broadband.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    > But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    > is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    > company's shoddy behavior.
    >
    > Who can we lobby to get action on this?
    >
    > Philip

    Its more a case of until Telecom can kill off the likes of skype they
    have no intention of getting high speed networking into NZ at a
    realistic rate.

    Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
    either
    a) cheaper
    b) Data cap removed
    c) Fixed IP
    D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

    Who Am I, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Philip

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <> wrote:

    >Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    >This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    >take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    >move to broadband.
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    >But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    >is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    >company's shoddy behavior.
    >
    >Who can we lobby to get action on this?
    >
    >Philip

    What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

    Broadband is far to dear here, slow and unreliable.

    Most people I know have no need to the added experience and what it can offer.

    Most Internet users here are totally illiterate as far as the Internet goes,
    ask most what Usenet is..?

    Plus don't forget we don't have LLU unbundled here..

    XP, Oct 25, 2005
  4. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    > This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    > take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    > move to broadband.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    > But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    > is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    > company's shoddy behavior.
    >
    > Who can we lobby to get action on this?

    Well when all telecoms "broadband" offerings shit out after a patheticly small
    amount of traffic, then you may as well use dialup and get the same shitty
    speeds from the word go and save a few bucks. You have to have the $40 phone
    line for either, and the dialup is cheaper then any of the telecom "broadband"
    plans if you are going to just hammer the connection 24/7 and dont care how slow
    it is, so long as its up so the emails come thru.

    So, yeah, the flatrate dialup is an attractive alternate compared with the shit
    offerings that are the only alternate.

    Richard, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Philip

    Not Dave Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    >This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    >take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    >move to broadband.
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    >But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    >is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    >company's shoddy behavior.
    >
    >Who can we lobby to get action on this?

    Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
    time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
    (Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
    with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.

    I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
    people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
    wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.

    They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
    fucked up it is.

    Not Dave, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Not Dave wrote:

    > Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
    > time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
    > (Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
    > with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.
    >
    > I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
    > people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
    > wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.
    >
    > They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
    > fucked up it is.

    They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least change it
    to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the same exchange.

    Richard, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Philip

    PAM. Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least

    change it
    > to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the same

    exchange.

    Nah. Leave it alone. I'm miles away from CHC and don't want to pay for
    calling there if I can help it :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 25, 2005
  8. Philip

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
    > change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
    > same exchange.

    "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
    should already know that!

    Bling Bling

    --
    Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
    that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you

    Bling Bling, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Philip

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:30:29 +1300, Who Am I wrote:

    > Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
    > either
    > a) cheaper
    > b) Data cap removed
    > c) Fixed IP
    > D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

    Read cheaper, in one form or another. ;-)

    Gordon, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    > This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    > take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    > move to broadband.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    > But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    > is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    > company's shoddy behavior.

    Probably not helped by Telecom's advertising - presenting broadband as
    something that best installed and appreciated by geeks is probably not
    the smartest thing I've seen.

    People just don't "get" networking or broadband so they won't upgrade;
    they need to see the benefits demonstrated for them. They need to see
    how useful "always on" computing and networking is.

    For example, I'm sure most people here know of households with multiple
    computers, who take turns to use dialup or have two phone lines?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 25, 2005
  11. On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:04:57 +1300, someone purporting to be Bling Bling
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
    >> change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
    >> same exchange.

    > "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
    > should already know that!

    No, it doesn't. It means some arbitrary geographical boundary, and thus
    you end up with neighbours who have to make toll calls across the fence.
    It's not truly local at all, never has been.
    Making it the same exchange would be overly restrictive, but the
    boundaries need to be flexible so that the above scenario (which really
    does happen) becomes a thing of the past. Maybe draw large circles around
    each exchange, and the people within that circle can call others within
    that circle at the current unmetered rate. The circles would obviously
    overlap, and so people would be certain to be within the same circle as
    their neighbours.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, Oct 25, 2005
  12. "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    > This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    > take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to move
    > to broadband.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >
    > But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    > is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    > company's shoddy behavior.
    >
    > Who can we lobby to get action on this?
    >
    > Philip

    I was speaking to an aquaintance who works at telecom and we was laughing
    his head off at what telecom is getting away with.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Oct 25, 2005
  13. Philip

    thingy Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    >>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    >>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to move
    >>to broadband.
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >>
    >>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    >>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    >>company's shoddy behavior.

    Same in US, OZ, UK etc etc.

    >>Who can we lobby to get action on this?

    Our MPs.

    >>Philip

    > I was speaking to an aquaintance who works at telecom and we was laughing
    > his head off at what telecom is getting away with.

    Yep, shocking....

    Killing Telecom's golden goose though has the potential for a huge
    economic effect. Telecom's share price props up the share index and
    pensions, do over Telecom and these 2 suffer badly. Also at least
    Telecom is a NZ company, if we kill off Telecom the winner is Telstra
    and the Austrailians becaus ethe profit will go there.

    So at present the "Telecom tax" is hurting NZ businesses
    re-competitiveness, we (I mean small businesses) could do lots of
    offshore business if data traffic was a reasonable price.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 25, 2005
  14. Philip

    steve Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    > This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    > take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    > move to broadband.
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794

    Yeah...the usual Telecom BS.....

    You'd think they'd be ashamed telling porkies like that - but they aren't.

    > But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    > is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    > company's shoddy behavior.

    The only telco worse than NZ Telecom is Telstra.

    > Who can we lobby to get action on this?

    The problem with freeing up this market any more is that you're handing more
    of it to Telstra.

    The only rational answer is to have the government own the infrastructure
    and upgrade and improve it as the national interest demands......selling
    access to it to service providers.

    Oh....Richard Prebble sold the infrastructure AND the company for barely
    more than $4 billion.

    Obviously stupid at the time given that it would have cost 5 to 10 times
    that amount to build a duplicate network.

    Just one more thing Prebble touched and screwed up.

    steve, Oct 25, 2005
  15. Philip

    steve Guest

    Who Am I wrote:

    > Oh, I do have the 2Mb/s at home and love it, I would prefer it to be
    > either
    > a) cheaper
    > b) Data cap removed
    > c) Fixed IP
    > D) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

    E) uplink speed increased to at LEAST 256k.

    steve, Oct 25, 2005
  16. Philip

    steve Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Not Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Telecom always have a go at trying to get out of Kiwishare about this
    >> time each year. Some of us think one of their execs has it in their
    >> (Microsoft Outlook, powered by Exchange, running on Windows) calendar,
    >> with an annual recurrence. It does seem as regular as clockwork.
    >>
    >> I think their rationale is that if there weren't free local calls,
    >> people would have to pay them heaps for using dialup, and hence it
    >> wouldn't be such a price increase to go to broadband.
    >>
    >> They've actually got a point from a logical point of view, however
    >> fucked up it is.

    > They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
    > change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
    > same exchange.

    No.

    The current system is based on communities - and the impact of messing with
    the cost of communication within a community is non-trivial.

    Effectively taxing all phone calls to fill the pockets of a monopoly makes
    NO economic or social sense from any perspective other than Telecom's.

    steve, Oct 25, 2005
  17. Philip

    steve Guest

    XP wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <> wrote:
    >
    >>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    >>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    >>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    >>move to broadband.
    >>
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >>
    >>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    >>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    >>company's shoddy behavior.
    >>
    >>Who can we lobby to get action on this?
    >>
    >>Philip

    > What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

    They say if you can dial-up for hours for free on a local call....and only
    pay an ISP $10 / month for Internet access.....then you won't pay $49 /
    month for ADSL.

    steve, Oct 25, 2005
  18. Philip

    thingy Guest

    Bling Bling wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:05:12 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >

    >>They should end this crazy designation of "local" calls, or at least
    >>change it to mean something so that local is actually local, - IE, the
    >>same exchange.

    > "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
    > should already know that!
    >

    > Bling Bling

    The main telecom exchange for kapiti cost is porirua, A while back
    Telecom decided it would charge to phone the kapiti cost from
    wellington.....simply based on a geographical line arbitarily decided
    upon, all it took was a software recode at the porirua exchange, 5mins
    work. Classic price gouging, so I and many moved to Clear as the calls
    are still free.......if they ever stop it, I will ditch the land line
    and put the extra on my vodaphone, way better.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 25, 2005
  19. Philip

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:49:33 +1300, Matthew Poole wrote:

    >> "Local" means the same region - not the same telephone exchange. You
    >> should already know that!
    >>

    > No, it doesn't. It means some arbitrary geographical boundary, and thus
    > you end up with neighbours who have to make toll calls across the fence.
    > It's not truly local at all, never has been.
    > Making it the same exchange would be overly restrictive, but the
    > boundaries need to be flexible so that the above scenario (which really
    > does happen) becomes a thing of the past. Maybe draw large circles around
    > each exchange, and the people within that circle can call others within
    > that circle at the current unmetered rate. The circles would obviously
    > overlap, and so people would be certain to be within the same circle as
    > their neighbours.

    I'd go along with that - because there would be a boundary area that falls
    within both exchanges. Ideally one should live in that boundary area -
    you'd be able to ring anybody within both areas. :eek:)

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

    Bling Bling, Oct 25, 2005
  20. Philip

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:28:35 +1300, steve <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:41 +1300, Philip <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Once again Telecom NZ reveals itself for crap gouging outfit that it is.
    >>>This time it's trying to justify the appallingly low rate of broadband
    >>>take-up in NZ by saying that free local calling is a disincentive to
    >>>move to broadband.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10351794
    >>>
    >>>But the argument is blown before they've even started. All we can do now
    >>>is wonder how much longer we have to put up with this third-world
    >>>company's shoddy behavior.
    >>>
    >>>Who can we lobby to get action on this?
    >>>
    >>>Philip

    >> What has Free Local calling to do with Broadband..?

    >They say if you can dial-up for hours for free on a local call....and only
    >pay an ISP $10 / month for Internet access.....then you won't pay $49 /
    >month for ADSL.

    But do People need ADSL..?

    XP, Oct 25, 2005