Telecom Billing system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector_NZ, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Boy the biggest company in NZ has a real shit arse billing system.

    Went online to "My Telecom" which they encourage you to use, on the 24th
    to see what my current bill was. It stated $50.17 so onto internet
    banking I went and paid it.
    They receipted it on the 25th.
    On 26th they print an account for me (which arrived four days later on
    the 30th) showing I still owed the $50.17 and had added a $6 late fee.

    Now under the unilateral change they made in the T&C they are able to
    charge this late fee.

    Now the hole in this;
    1. You cant take at face value the amounts stated on the online site.
    2. They cant even get a printed account right when they receive the
    money before the account is printed.

    Heck I could understand it if the payment had been receipted on the 26th
    but a full day earlier it should have showed as paid!

    Do I not have a reasonable right to expect the online system to be
    current and accurate when they are encouraging us to use it?

    Why did I check online, well I was 600km away from home and realized the
    account needed to be paid so Online was the way to go.

    Now as always I state, If I had a choice I would dump Telecom
    immediately, but as luck has it, I dont have access to any alternative,
    sort of defines Monopoly for me.

    BTW Took two calls by me and over 30 minutes to sort it out. Then the
    call centre supervisor calls me back and demonstrates that she has
    clearly not comprehended the issues or the problem wasting another 5
    minutes of my time.

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    Tim Guest

    Its the invariable minimum of 3 calls and 7 call transfers to get to the
    person that can address the issue that is the killer for me. Twenty minutes
    waiting on hold, repeatedly explaining the same thing, being told "You are
    speaking to the wrong person" (as though it is my fault that their system
    and call handlers put calls through to wrong extensions) after having just
    been already told that and being transferred to the call handler then only
    to be transferred again and disconnected. Oh, and the killers? Being told
    after being on the phone for over half an hour that the call can't be
    transferred, you have to call back on another number, and when you do you
    find that the lazy bums there finish work at 5PM - its now 5.05 and you
    started out at 4:30PM!

    Add to that the incessant advertising on their 123 number imposing on you
    while you are trying to get through to the right number, the fact that the
    original error is invariably theirs to start off with, that they fail to
    acknowledge this, fail to act with any courtesy and treat you contemptuously
    as though a bad debtor when your bill is paid by DD and has been 100% on
    time for years.

    That is part of the reason why I would never buy Telecom stock. The other
    reason is that their stock will only ever head overall downwards (IMHO -
    because they over price, are too slow with technology, and generally have an
    extremely shoddy management structure).

    - Tim

    Ahh that feels better.

    Tim, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ

    Joy Guest

    Thats tame, we paid two bills which they reckon we still owe but the cheques
    have been deposited.
    Now a search on those cheques will cost $20 each and telecom say that even
    if it is found that they do have the money, they won't refund $40 because as
    far as they are concerned the cost of it is all ours.
    Fortunately, we do have an alternative provider.
    Joy

    Joy, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    JedMeister Guest

    Just as well they are dumping it. They use ICMS - often referred to as "I
    see a Mess".

    JedMeister, Aug 30, 2004
  5. JedMeister wrote:
    > Just as well they are dumping it. They use ICMS - often referred to as "I
    > see a Mess".

    heh, we used to call it that at Xtra billing.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 30, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    ardz Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > JedMeister wrote:
    > > Just as well they are dumping it. They use ICMS - often referred to as

    "I
    > > see a Mess".

    > heh, we used to call it that at Xtra billing.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz

    Im using it now and completely agree. Even though it used to be WAY worse
    than it is now.

    ardz, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:25:31 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Do I not have a reasonable right to expect the online system to be
    > current and accurate when they are encouraging us to use it?

    Yes - absolutely!

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    Divine, Aug 30, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ

    SteveS Guest

    Dump the Telecom line and just use your mobile - have a wireless data line
    for the net if you need to get access to the net. This is the way the world
    is going, why not be one of the first along with myself and my son, both of
    us do not have landlines.

    SteveS

    SteveS, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Wireless calls are way too expensive.

    Jed Meisterdude, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Collector_NZ

    test Guest

    Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    > Wireless calls are way too expensive.

    depends on how you use them.
    also if you have an IP phone... it covers local calls.

    test, Aug 30, 2004
  11. test wrote:

    > Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    >
    >> Wireless calls are way too expensive.

    > depends on how you use them.
    > also if you have an IP phone... it covers local calls.

    errr, that was me, just tinkering with another account :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 30, 2004
  12. Collector_NZ

    Harry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Boy the biggest company in NZ has a real shit arse billing system.
    >
    > Went online to "My Telecom" which they encourage you to use, on the 24th
    > to see what my current bill was. It stated $50.17 so onto internet
    > banking I went and paid it.
    > They receipted it on the 25th.
    > On 26th they print an account for me (which arrived four days later on
    > the 30th) showing I still owed the $50.17 and had added a $6 late fee.
    >
    > Now under the unilateral change they made in the T&C they are able to
    > charge this late fee.
    >
    > Now the hole in this;
    > 1. You cant take at face value the amounts stated on the online site.
    > 2. They cant even get a printed account right when they receive the
    > money before the account is printed.
    >
    > Heck I could understand it if the payment had been receipted on the 26th
    > but a full day earlier it should have showed as paid!
    >
    > Do I not have a reasonable right to expect the online system to be
    > current and accurate when they are encouraging us to use it?
    >
    > Why did I check online, well I was 600km away from home and realized the
    > account needed to be paid so Online was the way to go.
    >
    > Now as always I state, If I had a choice I would dump Telecom
    > immediately, but as luck has it, I dont have access to any alternative,
    > sort of defines Monopoly for me.
    >
    > BTW Took two calls by me and over 30 minutes to sort it out. Then the
    > call centre supervisor calls me back and demonstrates that she has
    > clearly not comprehended the issues or the problem wasting another 5
    > minutes of my time.

    Crazy indeed!

    If you look at the "Payment Options" on the back of your bill
    you wont even see any option to pay by credit card!
    Maybe it is just a NZ thing, being just a small country. That the biggest
    business in the country doesn't know anything about credit cards yet is
    incredible.

    By comparison Telstra, in Australia, makes it real easy to pay.
    Just pick up a phone, dial the number, key in your account then your
    credit card number and it is paid - 24/7.

    Harry, Aug 30, 2004
  13. Collector_NZ

    colinco Guest

    In article Harry says...
    > That the biggest
    > business in the country doesn't know anything about credit cards yet is
    > incredible.

    They're smart enough to know that with credit card payments, Aussie
    banks would get a commission.

    colinco, Aug 30, 2004
  14. Harry wrote:
    > By comparison Telstra, in Australia, makes it real easy to pay.
    > Just pick up a phone, dial the number, key in your account then your
    > credit card number and it is paid - 24/7.

    you can do that with Telecom.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 30, 2004
  15. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    SteveS said the following on 30/08/2004 18:47:
    > Dump the Telecom line and just use your mobile - have a wireless data line
    > for the net if you need to get access to the net. This is the way the world
    > is going, why not be one of the first along with myself and my son, both of
    > us do not have landlines.
    >
    > SteveS
    >
    > "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Boy the biggest company in NZ has a real shit arse billing system.
    >>
    >>Went online to "My Telecom" which they encourage you to use, on the 24th
    >>to see what my current bill was. It stated $50.17 so onto internet
    >>banking I went and paid it.
    >>They receipted it on the 25th.
    >>On 26th they print an account for me (which arrived four days later on
    >>the 30th) showing I still owed the $50.17 and had added a $6 late fee.
    >>
    >>Now under the unilateral change they made in the T&C they are able to
    >>charge this late fee.
    >>
    >>Now the hole in this;
    >>1. You cant take at face value the amounts stated on the online site.
    >>2. They cant even get a printed account right when they receive the
    >>money before the account is printed.
    >>
    >>Heck I could understand it if the payment had been receipted on the 26th
    >>but a full day earlier it should have showed as paid!
    >>
    >>Do I not have a reasonable right to expect the online system to be
    >>current and accurate when they are encouraging us to use it?
    >>
    >>Why did I check online, well I was 600km away from home and realized the
    >>account needed to be paid so Online was the way to go.
    >>
    >>Now as always I state, If I had a choice I would dump Telecom
    >>immediately, but as luck has it, I dont have access to any alternative,
    >>sort of defines Monopoly for me.
    >>
    >>BTW Took two calls by me and over 30 minutes to sort it out. Then the
    >>call centre supervisor calls me back and demonstrates that she has
    >>clearly not comprehended the issues or the problem wasting another 5
    >>minutes of my time.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    >>governed by those who are dumber.

    Its called no signal, I am in a black spot, all around me is cable and
    ADSL but not where I am and Cell coverage is abysmal. I have only a very
    poor quality land line option.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 30, 2004
  16. Collector_NZ

    MarkH Guest

    Harry <> wrote in news:VcDYc.19627$N77.769692
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > If you look at the "Payment Options" on the back of your bill
    > you wont even see any option to pay by credit card!
    > Maybe it is just a NZ thing, being just a small country. That the biggest
    > business in the country doesn't know anything about credit cards yet is
    > incredible.

    Maybe they know enough about credit cards to know that accepting payment by
    CC incurs a charge to them, which reduces the amount of money they get. Of
    course at the price they charge compared to others where there is an
    alternative line provider they should be able to absorb that charge.

    Obviously they are protecting their profits which are more important to
    them than happy customers, such is the benefit of being a monopoly.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Aug 30, 2004
  17. Collector_NZ

    Harry Guest

    colinco wrote:

    > In article Harry says...
    >> That the biggest
    >> business in the country doesn't know anything about credit cards yet is
    >> incredible.
    >>

    > They're smart enough to know that with credit card payments, Aussie
    > banks would get a commission.

    Nice argument.
    Unfortunately an Australian bank owns Telecom.

    Harry, Aug 31, 2004
  18. Collector_NZ

    colinco Guest

    In article Harry says...
    > Unfortunately an Australian bank owns Telecom.

    It would be nice to be able to blame every thing on Australian banks but
    not this time.

    colinco, Aug 31, 2004
  19. Collector_NZ

    geopelia Guest

    > Boy the biggest company in NZ has a real shit arse billing system.
    >
    > Went online to "My Telecom" which they encourage you to use, on the 24th
    > to see what my current bill was. It stated $50.17 so onto internet
    > banking I went and paid it.
    > They receipted it on the 25th.
    > On 26th they print an account for me (which arrived four days later on
    > the 30th) showing I still owed the $50.17 and had added a $6 late fee.
    >
    > Now under the unilateral change they made in the T&C they are able to
    > charge this late fee.
    >
    > Now the hole in this;
    > 1. You cant take at face value the amounts stated on the online site.
    > 2. They cant even get a printed account right when they receive the
    > money before the account is printed.
    >
    > Heck I could understand it if the payment had been receipted on the 26th
    > but a full day earlier it should have showed as paid!
    >
    > Do I not have a reasonable right to expect the online system to be
    > current and accurate when they are encouraging us to use it?
    >
    > Why did I check online, well I was 600km away from home and realized the
    > account needed to be paid so Online was the way to go.
    >
    > Now as always I state, If I had a choice I would dump Telecom
    > immediately, but as luck has it, I dont have access to any alternative,
    > sort of defines Monopoly for me.
    >
    > BTW Took two calls by me and over 30 minutes to sort it out. Then the
    > call centre supervisor calls me back and demonstrates that she has
    > clearly not comprehended the issues or the problem wasting another 5
    > minutes of my time.
    >
    > --
    > Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    > governed by those who are dumber.

    Always pay everything by cheque. It may cost a bit more but it's much safer.
    Of course, cash is best when visiting a shop.

    This internet banking sounds a good idea, but my computer doesn't seem to
    have a coin and note slot.
    (Just kidding, of course)

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Aug 31, 2004
  20. Collector_NZ

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message

    > Crazy indeed!
    >
    > If you look at the "Payment Options" on the back of your bill
    > you wont even see any option to pay by credit card!
    > Maybe it is just a NZ thing, being just a small country. That the biggest
    > business in the country doesn't know anything about credit cards yet is
    > incredible.
    >
    > By comparison Telstra, in Australia, makes it real easy to pay.
    > Just pick up a phone, dial the number, key in your account then your
    > credit card number and it is paid - 24/7.

    What are you on? Telecom is very easy to pay - i have an automatic payment
    through Internet banking that covers it so simply it's not even funny.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Sep 2, 2004