Telecom about to get their beans?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Dec 2, 2004

  2. EMB

    Thor Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >
    > Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    > Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.

    It would surprise the heck out of me they'll just roll over and let
    Telescum tickle their bellies like they have done several times in the
    past.
    Thor, Dec 2, 2004

  3. EMB

    Mark S Guest

    Heheheh you guys just don't get it yet do you.

    Once NG is up and running Telecom will WANT to unbundle DSL ;) . Everything
    between now and then is just stalling for time.

    Mark S, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Mark S wrote:
    > Heheheh you guys just don't get it yet do you.

    I do... it's quite funny really.

    > Once NG is up and running Telecom will WANT to unbundle DSL ;) . Everything
    > between now and then is just stalling for time.

    well, stalling and revenue gathering.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 2, 2004
  5. EMB

    David Guest

    Mark S wrote:
    > Heheheh you guys just don't get it yet do you.
    >
    > Once NG is up and running Telecom will WANT to unbundle DSL ;) . Everything
    > between now and then is just stalling for time.
    >
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>EMB wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >>>
    >>>Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    >>>Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.
    >>>

    >>It would surprise the heck out of me they'll just roll over and let
    >>Telescum tickle their bellies like they have done several times in the
    >>past.

    what is NG
    David, Dec 2, 2004
  6. David wrote:
    >> Once NG is up and running Telecom will WANT to unbundle DSL ;) .
    >> Everything
    >> between now and then is just stalling for time.

    > what is NG

    "Next Gen" or similar...
    The name of their new network.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 2, 2004
  7. EMB

    JedMeister Guest

    > David wrote:
    >>> Once NG is up and running Telecom will WANT to unbundle DSL ;) .
    >>> Everything
    >>> between now and then is just stalling for time.

    >> what is NG

    > "Next Gen" or similar...
    > The name of their new network.

    Oh yes, next gen is the investment which telecom threatened to sink if
    unbundling went ahead.
    JedMeister, Dec 2, 2004
  8. In article <com0lm$p7k$> in nz.comp on Thu, 02 Dec 2004
    16:03:18 +1300, EMB <> says...
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >
    > Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    > Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.

    The TC works for the Commerce Commission. Hahaha!
    Patrick Dunford, Dec 2, 2004
  9. EMB

    Mark S Guest

    NG will be excluded from any unbundling or TSO obligations as it was built
    from scratch entirely by Telecom.

    Mark S, Dec 2, 2004
  10. EMB

    Mr Bond Guest

    On 2 Dec 2004 14:58:07 -0600, "Mark S" <> wrote:

    >NG will be excluded from any unbundling or TSO obligations as it was built
    >from scratch entirely by Telecom.

    <Snip>

    Interesting. Do you know whether they're intending to replace
    exisiting services with the NG stuff, or will they run two networks
    like Sky uhf/Digital?

    Assuming NG is fixed wire services surely the fact that the cables and
    infrastructure will be laid on land/easements/poles paid for by us
    means there is some obligation there.

    I suppose if this is some sort of funky wireless system then this
    argument is baseless.
    Mr Bond, Dec 2, 2004
  11. EMB

    Mark S Guest

    I don't think the current (old) network will disappear, it has to stay to
    meet their obligations.

    I don't understand how the land/easements thing applies (I don't think it
    does).

    Mark S, Dec 2, 2004
  12. EMB

    Mutlley Guest

    "Mark S" <> wrote:

    >I don't think the current (old) network will disappear, it has to stay to
    >meet their obligations.
    >
    >I don't understand how the land/easements thing applies (I don't think it
    >does).

    And don't forget the NG network will be a good chance for Telecom to
    hike the pricing of home phones and services. Just like the record
    companies did with CDs.
    Mutlley, Dec 3, 2004
  13. EMB

    macca Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:12:14 +1300, Thor
    <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=

    9001399

    > > Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the

    balls that the
    > > Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.
    > >

    > It would surprise the heck out of me they'll just roll

    over and let
    > Telescum tickle their bellies like they have done several

    times in the
    > past.

    More like 'bend over and assume the position.'
    macca, Dec 3, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    Mutlley <> wrote:

    >And don't forget the NG network will be a good chance for Telecom to
    >hike the pricing of home phones and services. Just like the record
    >companies did with CDs.

    Higher prices can be good for consumers too
    <http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.08/info.pricing.html>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 4, 2004
  15. In article <com0lm$p7k$>, EMB <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >
    >Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    >Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.

    I have high hopes. The Commerce Commission has proven itself to have
    teeth on many occasions.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 4, 2004
  16. In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >In article <com0lm$p7k$>, EMB <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >>
    >>Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    >>Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.

    >I have high hopes. The Commerce Commission has proven itself to have
    >teeth on many occasions.

    Indeed. I don't understand the people who keep saying the Commerce
    Commission is just going to roll (or bend) over and let Telecom keep on
    as it always has. The CC is not reticient about telling anyone where to
    get off, and has in the past been very critical of TCNZ.
    If the CC was really just going to acquiesce to Theresa, they wouldn't
    have keep the 0867 case going for four years.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Dec 4, 2004
  17. In article <cort0q$h4s$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >>In article <com0lm$p7k$>, EMB <>
    >>wrote:
    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=9001399
    >>>
    >>>Maybe the Commerce Commission will actually show the balls that the
    >>>Telecommunications Commissioner has been proven to lack.

    >>I have high hopes. The Commerce Commission has proven itself to have
    >>teeth on many occasions.

    >Indeed. I don't understand the people who keep saying the Commerce
    >Commission is just going to roll (or bend) over and let Telecom keep on
    >as it always has. The CC is not reticient about telling anyone where to
    >get off, and has in the past been very critical of TCNZ.
    >If the CC was really just going to acquiesce to Theresa, they wouldn't
    >have keep the 0867 case going for four years.

    ... and where is the resolution on this case ? In many cases a 4 year delay
    could be seen as a win :)

    Bruce

    ------------------------------
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
    dying of nothing.

    -Redd Foxx

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 6, 2004
  18. In article <t9Osd.22643$>, z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >In article <cort0q$h4s$>, (Matthew Poole)
    > wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >... and where is the resolution on this case ? In many cases a 4 year delay
    >could be seen as a win :)

    It's scheduled for court next year.

    Matthew Poole, Dec 6, 2004
  19. In article <cp0nsp$8fi$>, (Matthew Poole) wrote:
    >In article <t9Osd.22643$>,
    > z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>In article <cort0q$h4s$>, (Matthew Poole)
    >> wrote:

    >*SNIP*
    >>... and where is the resolution on this case ? In many cases a 4 year delay
    >>could be seen as a win :)
    >>

    >It's scheduled for court next year.

    Ah ... a five year delay ... perhaps :)

    Bruce