    With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I cannot
    get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.

    Whoosh - ... don't provide a service at that address.

    Robert, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Robert

    SNOman Guest

    It all sucks.

    I bet most of Telecoms new installation work is using fibreoptic cabling
    somewhere in the backbone. My understanding is that if this is the case
    then you are stuffed from receiving ADSL. Well that's my case anyway,
    piece of fibre, no jetstream, have to rely on shitty dialup. I wish I
    had an alternative.

    Jeez porn downloads slow on dialup ;-)

    SNOman, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Robert

    JedMeister Guest

    Perhaps the councils should be ensuring that new developments have
    satisfactory internet connections.

    But, given that NZ is a farming economy it is not necessity to have net
    access. So, stop your whining and go feed the chickens or something.

    :)

    JedMeister, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Robert

    steve Guest

    Robert wrote:

    > I find that in the corporate world Telecom want to deal with you. Good
    > bu$ine$$ for them but as a consumer at home - NO.
    > When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    > Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    > With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I
    > cannot get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.
    >
    > Whoosh - ... don't provide a service at that address.

    So maybe you want to leaflet your neighbourhood and see if anyone wants to
    set up a local wireless network.

    A string of $200 wireless AP's with decent antennae could offer a bridge to
    the nearest source of ADSL.

    Some folks in Auckland are doing this sort of thing. With the right gear -
    still cheap - you can have an 11mbs wireless network that covers a few
    square kilometers.

    Think of it as a chance to learn a new skill....and create something of
    value at the same time.

    ....and meet the neighbours.

    steve, Sep 8, 2004
  5. Robert wrote:
    > When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    > Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    > With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I cannot
    > get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.

    From memory Dannemora is connected via fibre, so unless they change it
    to copper, you're screwed as DSL needs copper to the house.

    Lots of subdivisions have this same problem.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2004
  6. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> was seen to type:
    >Warwick wrote:
    >>> From memory Dannemora is connected via fibre, so unless they change it
    >>>to copper, you're screwed as DSL needs copper to the house.

    >> Sooo, they are pumping voice over fibre, but no data service available?
    >> Sounds totally screwed to me. Whats the point of laying high bandwidth
    >> fibre and then only offering a 4k voice service over it? jeeeez.

    >price apparently.

    ... and future rip offs presumably ?

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  7. Robert

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Robert said the following on 8/09/2004 12:05:

    > I find that in the corporate world Telecom want to deal with you. Good
    > bu$ine$$ for them but as a consumer at home - NO.
    > When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    > Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    > With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I cannot
    > get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.
    >
    > Whoosh - ... don't provide a service at that address.

    Blame the Subdivision developers who put in the cheapest option (Fibre
    Optic) which DSL dosnt run on.

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Robert

    SNOman Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Robert said the following on 8/09/2004 12:05:
    >
    >> I find that in the corporate world Telecom want to deal with you. Good
    >> bu$ine$$ for them but as a consumer at home - NO.
    >> When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    >> Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    >> With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I
    >> cannot
    >> get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.
    >>
    >> Whoosh - ... don't provide a service at that address.
    >>

    > Blame the Subdivision developers who put in the cheapest option (Fibre
    > Optic) which DSL dosnt run on.

    I'm not in a subdivision (Albany/Dairy Flat) so the cheap bastards that
    used fibre instead of copper to prevent me getting ADSL are Telescum.

    SNOman, Sep 8, 2004
  9. Robert

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 8/09/2004 12:40:

    > Robert wrote:
    >
    >> When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    >> Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    >> With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I
    >> cannot
    >> get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.

    > From memory Dannemora is connected via fibre, so unless they change it
    > to copper, you're screwed as DSL needs copper to the house.
    >
    > Lots of subdivisions have this same problem.

    And its not Telecoms fault (I know me and positive comment on Telescums)
    as the developer puts in the cable etc and hands it off to Telecom at
    completion.

    Collector_NZ, Sep 8, 2004
  10. Robert

    EMB Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Blame the Subdivision developers who put in the cheapest option (Fibre
    > Optic) which DSL dosnt run on.

    And blame Telecom for selling them a pup. A few years ago Telecom were
    running around all the businesses in Onehunga offering free fibre into
    the building (to replace the copper for reliability) and promising that
    high-speed data would be available. I expressed interest, but sold my
    business before hearing any more and AFAICT the project just died before
    anything actually happened.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Robert

    Karen Parker Guest

    New Zealand 3rd world

    Yes it just not Telescum..

    LPG heaters, Cell phones in Cars, The Bad give way to the right rule, cell
    phone charges, Text charges, land line to Cell phone charges..

    I could go on and on..

    Its about time NZ got its finger out, or it will end up being the 4th World
    country..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Robert

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:40:07 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Robert wrote:
    >> When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    >> Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    >> With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I cannot
    >> get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.

    > From memory Dannemora is connected via fibre, so unless they change it
    > to copper, you're screwed as DSL needs copper to the house.
    >
    > Lots of subdivisions have this same problem.

    Sooo, they are pumping voice over fibre, but no data service available?
    Sounds totally screwed to me. Whats the point of laying high bandwidth
    fibre and then only offering a 4k voice service over it? jeeeez.

    Is it because the fibre is looped instead of starred?

    Warwick, Sep 8, 2004
  13. Robert

    Peter Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:25:12 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >Perhaps the councils should be ensuring that new developments have
    >satisfactory internet connections.

    Utilities generally require subdividers to contribute to the cost of
    services in subdivisions. Some years ago, developers got the message
    that they needed gas in subdivisions if they were going to sell
    sections. Same goes for internet access. Purchasers need to ask the
    question ewhen looking at lots or spec. built homes.

    An expedient way at present would be to install co-ax cable as used
    for cable television as a co-ax 'head' (which is fed by fibre optic)
    appears to be far cheaper than a ADSL 'head' although I understand
    that a ADSL head is becoming relatively cheaper.

    I suspect that people may not be ready for a fibre optic service -
    those wanting POTS (plain ordinart telephone service) would need
    conversion equipment in their houses and some form of USP to feed it.

    Peter, Sep 8, 2004
  14. Robert

    steve Guest

    Warwick wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:40:07 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Robert wrote:
    >>> When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    >>> Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    >>> With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I
    >>> cannot get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new subdivision.

    >> From memory Dannemora is connected via fibre, so unless they change it
    >> to copper, you're screwed as DSL needs copper to the house.
    >>
    >> Lots of subdivisions have this same problem.

    > Sooo, they are pumping voice over fibre, but no data service available?
    > Sounds totally screwed to me. Whats the point of laying high bandwidth
    > fibre and then only offering a 4k voice service over it? jeeeez.
    >
    > Is it because the fibre is looped instead of starred?

    That's private business for you.

    Grossly inefficient.

    (Propaganda to the contrary notwithstanding).

    steve, Sep 8, 2004
  15. Robert

    steve Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Blame the Subdivision developers who put in the cheapest option (Fibre
    >> Optic) which DSL dosnt run on.

    > And blame Telecom for selling them a pup. A few years ago Telecom were
    > running around all the businesses in Onehunga offering free fibre into
    > the building (to replace the copper for reliability) and promising that
    > high-speed data would be available. I expressed interest, but sold my
    > business before hearing any more and AFAICT the project just died before
    > anything actually happened.

    They dropped fibre and went to ADSL.

    The Wadestown, Wellington, street I lived I lived in had Telecom fibre
    steadily marching up the road......until one day it just stopped.

    Far as I know, that infrastructure is still just sitting there. They won't
    sell it and don't use it.

    Private business "efficient"? Pure religion.

    steve, Sep 8, 2004
  16. In article <>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> was seen to type:

    >>>price apparently.

    >> ... and future rip offs presumably ?

    >dunno, but if the developer has to cover some of the cost for the "phone
    >system", and fibre is cheaper somehow.

    Interesting.
    There's a development (read subdivision :) ) next door and telecon are
    putting a multiplex box in to cope with it. Apparently the
    developer (read subdivider) is being "negotiated with" as to how
    much he'll pay as his "share".
    Still leaves some people further up the line looking at a $10 k bill
    for a line ... because they are the "first" that want it over the
    current capacity :)

    ... and yes ... this is t/c policy. Even the guy I talked to said it
    wasn't a clever one ... or at least, didn't try to justify it at all
    :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2004
  19. Robert

    theseus Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Robert said the following on 8/09/2004 12:05:
    >
    >> I find that in the corporate world Telecom want to deal with you.
    >> Good bu$ine$$ for them but as a consumer at home - NO.
    >> When will Telecom make ADSL available in new subdivisions like
    >> Botany/Dannemora in Auckland?
    >> With all the current push for broadband by them I am appalled that I
    >> cannot get ADSL in a house less than 3 years old in a new
    >> subdivision.
    >>
    >> Whoosh - ... don't provide a service at that address.
    >>

    > Blame the Subdivision developers who put in the cheapest option (Fibre
    > Optic) which DSL dosnt run on.

    Telecom would need to put DSLAMs at the remote end of the fibre.
    Do they have any plans to do so ?

    theseus, Sep 8, 2004
  20. Re: New Zealand 3rd world

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:08:09 +1200, Karen Parker <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.>
    wrote in <news:>:

    > Yes it just not Telescum..
    >
    > LPG heaters, Cell phones in Cars, The Bad give way to the right rule, cell
    > phone charges, Text charges, land line to Cell phone charges..

    and pissing, moaning bloody poms.

    > I could go on and on..

    You usually do ... and on ... and on ... and on ...

    > Its about time NZ got its finger out, or it will end up being the 4th World
    > country.

    But then you'd feel right at home.

    --
    Regards,