Teenagers, data cap problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Little, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. John Little

    John Little Guest

    Hi all

    Not even half way through the month and the data cap (10 GiB) has been
    reached). All the family claim to be innocent. Yeah, right.

    This is with Xtra and changing provider is not an option, my wife
    works for Telecom.

    I've googled for bandwidth monitoring tools, but they mostly want to
    show pretty graphs in real time, or let you see which processes are
    using bandwidth in real time, but I want totals by user, reported on
    demand, going back at least a month.

    There's lots of safe surfing software, but none I found will monitor
    data usage *by user*.

    We have a mixed Kubuntu, XP and Vista environment, and any user might
    be on any box, though the teenagers prefer Windows.

    DuMeter was the only tool I found that supports my use case, but
    that's a lot of stuff that I'm not going to use.

    Can anyone here recommend an approach?

    Thanks, John

    John Little, Aug 3, 2009