techsupply starnote d470w laptop anyone seen or got one of these.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by v3, May 24, 2004.

  1. v3

    v3 Guest

    v3, May 24, 2004

  2. In article <c8rojl$1vj$>, says...
    > Anyone heard of techsupply limited www.techsupply.co.nz seemed to have some
    > good prices on barebone laptops.. Im interested in a clevo / starnote d470W
    > http://www.techsupply.co.nz/product.../5640?osCsid=278790059ae580d829835c3688e1e9c6
    >
    > It looks the best value 17 widescreen laptop for the price, anyone else have
    > one of these or seen them , they have very nice clear screens and high res
    > for doing graphic design work.

    No mention of an OS, so I'd guess barebones means no operating system or
    any other kind of software. Therefore not a fair comparison as most
    brands of laptop come with XP and other software packaged. If you want
    software the OEM deals are also pretty competitive.

    Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of memory
    at that price are not actually specified.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004

  3. v3

    v3 Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c8rojl$1vj$>, says...
    > > Anyone heard of techsupply limited www.techsupply.co.nz seemed to have

    some
    > > good prices on barebone laptops.. Im interested in a clevo / starnote

    d470W

    http://www.techsupply.co.nz/product.../5640?osCsid=278790059ae580d829835c3688e1e9c6

    > > It looks the best value 17 widescreen laptop for the price, anyone else

    have
    > > one of these or seen them , they have very nice clear screens and high

    res
    > > for doing graphic design work.

    > No mention of an OS, so I'd guess barebones means no operating system or
    > any other kind of software. Therefore not a fair comparison as most
    > brands of laptop come with XP and other software packaged. If you want
    > software the OEM deals are also pretty competitive.
    >
    > Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of memory
    > at that price are not actually specified.

    Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I dont
    want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a barebones No
    OS system, does it sound a good price?

    v3, May 24, 2004
  4. v3 wrote:
    >>Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of memory
    >>at that price are not actually specified.

    > Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I dont
    > want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a barebones No
    > OS system, does it sound a good price?

    I have to question why they don't list the CPU speed... seems a bit odd,
    unless they're taking into account the speedstep technology or something...

    the no mention of ram is odd too... maybe they have none in them by
    default, and again no mention of the Hdd, maybe none...

    flick them an email, or call them and find out.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 24, 2004
  5. v3

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in

    > v3 wrote:
    >>>Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of
    >>>memory at that price are not actually specified.

    >> Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I
    >> dont want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a
    >> barebones No OS system, does it sound a good price?

    > I have to question why they don't list the CPU speed... seems a bit
    > odd, unless they're taking into account the speedstep technology or
    > something...
    >
    > the no mention of ram is odd too... maybe they have none in them by
    > default, and again no mention of the Hdd, maybe none...
    >
    > flick them an email, or call them and find out.

    heh, maybe their idea of barebones is no ram, cpu or drive.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 24, 2004
  6. v3

    frederick Guest

    > v3 wrote:
    > >>Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of memory
    > >>at that price are not actually specified.

    > > Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I dont
    > > want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a barebones No
    > > OS system, does it sound a good price?

    > I have to question why they don't list the CPU speed... seems a bit odd,
    > unless they're taking into account the speedstep technology or something...
    >
    > the no mention of ram is odd too... maybe they have none in them by
    > default, and again no mention of the Hdd, maybe none...
    >
    > flick them an email, or call them and find out.

    But note that they are *temporarily closed* for a couple of weeks - so don't
    expect a prompt reply.

    frederick, May 24, 2004
  7. Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>the no mention of ram is odd too... maybe they have none in them by
    >>default, and again no mention of the Hdd, maybe none...

    > heh, maybe their idea of barebones is no ram, cpu or drive.

    I suppose that would be correct... when you buy a barebones machine, you
    get no ram cpu or Hdd... so maybe they are keeping to the normal meaning
    of the term.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 24, 2004
  8. In article <c8rq3t$34b$>, says...

    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <c8rojl$1vj$>, says...
    > > > Anyone heard of techsupply limited www.techsupply.co.nz seemed to have

    > some
    > > > good prices on barebone laptops.. Im interested in a clevo / starnote

    > d470W
    > > >

    > http://www.techsupply.co.nz/product.../5640?osCsid=278790059ae580d829835c3688e1e9c6
    > > >
    > > > It looks the best value 17 widescreen laptop for the price, anyone else

    > have
    > > > one of these or seen them , they have very nice clear screens and high

    > res
    > > > for doing graphic design work.

    > > No mention of an OS, so I'd guess barebones means no operating system or
    > > any other kind of software. Therefore not a fair comparison as most
    > > brands of laptop come with XP and other software packaged. If you want
    > > software the OEM deals are also pretty competitive.
    > >
    > > Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of memory
    > > at that price are not actually specified.

    > Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I dont
    > want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a barebones No
    > OS system, does it sound a good price?

    To get a reasonable comparison you need to know at that price exactly
    which CPU and how much memory it includes, the site does not state this
    at all.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004
  9. v3

    > In article <c8rq3t$34b$>, says...
    > >
    > > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <c8rojl$1vj$>, says...

    have
    > > some

    starnote
    > > d470W

    http://www.techsupply.co.nz/product.../5640?osCsid=278790059ae580d829835c3688e1e9c6

    else
    > > have

    high
    > > res
    > > >
    > > > No mention of an OS, so I'd guess barebones means no operating system

    or
    > > > any other kind of software. Therefore not a fair comparison as most
    > > > brands of laptop come with XP and other software packaged. If you want
    > > > software the OEM deals are also pretty competitive.
    > > >
    > > > Note also the actual speed of the CPU and the included amount of

    memory
    > > > at that price are not actually specified.

    > > Yeah but the price difference is $800 to other places selling it, I dont
    > > want XP installed as I want to stick with win2k. But even at a

    barebones No
    > > OS system, does it sound a good price?

    > To get a reasonable comparison you need to know at that price exactly
    > which CPU and how much memory it includes, the site does not state this
    > at all.

    Yeah ive emailed them to find out the exact specs, the price difference
    could well be the hard drive and ram costs.... but anyone heard much about
    the starnote d470w model.

    v3, May 24, 2004
  10. v3

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > heh, maybe their idea of barebones is no ram, cpu or drive.
    > Ciao, Dave

    They probably are - Clevo make the barebones laptop, resellers add cpu, ram
    and hdd (nd other goodies - like DVD, card readers, bluetooth etc) to suit.
    Usually they are offered for resale already configured, though. They use a
    full desktop P4 processor.

    Quay Computers have had some of these in the past, but with a low resolution
    display that didn't look too good.

    Manufactured by Clevo http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/D470W.asp and usually
    branded Starnote in NZ, Hyundai in parts of Asia.

    http://www.ohc.co.nz also have them, with prices for complete laptops.Not
    cheap

    -=rjh=-, May 24, 2004
  11. v3

    v3 Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    > > heh, maybe their idea of barebones is no ram, cpu or drive.
    > > Ciao, Dave

    > They probably are - Clevo make the barebones laptop, resellers add cpu,

    ram
    > and hdd (nd other goodies - like DVD, card readers, bluetooth etc) to

    suit.
    > Usually they are offered for resale already configured, though. They use a
    > full desktop P4 processor.
    >
    > Quay Computers have had some of these in the past, but with a low

    resolution
    > display that didn't look too good.
    >
    > Manufactured by Clevo http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/D470W.asp and

    usually
    > branded Starnote in NZ, Hyundai in parts of Asia.
    >
    > http://www.ohc.co.nz also have them, with prices for complete laptops.Not
    > cheap

    just saw ascent are selling them in the last few days. they have about 5
    different configs of the system starting at $2835inc gst

    v3, May 25, 2004