    Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

    --
    Rob.

    Rob, May 24, 2005

  2. Rob

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:42928a81$0$569$...
    > If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
    > could you please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system
    > anywhere, specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
    > The signalling system etc.

    Skype uses a proprietorial protocol, incompatible with anything else..! I
    have no idea of the details.

    > By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone
    > number entry place?
    > Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam
    > annoying!

    Another reason I don't use it <g>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 24, 2005

  3. Rob

    Ian Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
    > could you please point me in the right direction.
    >
    > Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system anywhere,
    > specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
    > The signalling system etc.
    >
    > By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
    > entry place?
    > Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!
    >
    > --
    > Rob.

    Hi

    Start here http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=bounty skype

    then the info you want is at http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

    As to the + question , any chance of putting it in some context ie what
    "telephone number entry place?" ?

    Ian

    Ian, May 24, 2005

  4. > By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
    > entry place?
    > Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

    Just type 00 in stead of +
    That's how you would dial form any normal phone also, isn't ??

    Philippe (Belgium)

    Philippe Deleye, May 24, 2005
  5. Rob

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
    etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, May 25, 2005
  6. Rob

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 25 May 2005, Paul D.Smith writes
    >Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
    >etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

    Can you please quote the part of the previous post you're replying to so
    that we can understand what you're talking about, please.

    The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
    countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011

    DF

    David Floyd, May 25, 2005
  7. Rob

    Ian Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
    > etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

    The UK prefix for international calls is 00 and has been for many years.
    so the US is 00 1 and in the UK is 00 44 1234 123456, The + symbol is
    dialing is used so you dont need to know the prefix and is mainly used in
    mobiles so roaming is easier.
    Ian

    Ian, May 25, 2005
  8. Rob

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote:

    >Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
    >etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

    Errrm, what!? Many many years ago it used to be 010, but its been 00 for a very
    long time now....

    Linus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

    Linus Surguy, May 25, 2005
  9. Rob

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Bother. Go my UK and my US mixed up again. To answer your question, 00
    replaces "+" was the bit I was responding to but I got myself confused with
    the US access code.

    Sorry,
    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, May 25, 2005
  10. Rob

    Graham Guest

    > The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
    > countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011
    >
    > DF

    Israel abandoned 00 in favour of 012, 013 & 014 each of which will route
    your call via a competing operator.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%