    I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Apr 5, 2006

  2. KiwiBrian

    Justin Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive and am
    > accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP system in order
    > to retrieve some wanted data files.
    > I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder of
    > several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the Desktop,
    > Where should I expect to find them?
    > However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
    > probable data corruption when the PC failed.
    > If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still actually
    > on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
    > What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
    > I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Brian Tozer

    Windows ME, hmmm lets see.

    How about C:\Windows\Profiles\.....

    or

    C:\Windows\Desktop

    or

    Search for JPG, JPEG files. Make sure you are seeing all files and
    folders including hidden and system.

    Now this confirms what I keep saying to my clients. Don't put folders on
    the desktop (because it's like putting a 4 drawer filing cabinet on your
    desk!). Put them in "my documents", which is a special type of short
    cut. Whats the difference you say. Well I have seem major performance
    hits from having Folders on the desktop. If I move them and replace with
    a shortcut the machine seems to "breath" a bit easier. Not so bad under
    XP and 2000 but very noticable under 9x and ME.

    Hope this helps!

    Justin, Apr 5, 2006

  3. KiwiBrian

    MarkH Guest

    Justin <4free.co.nz> wrote in

    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >> I have a ME system that has failed and I have removed the Hard Drive
    >> and am accessing it in a USB external Hard Drive enclosure in an XP
    >> system in order to retrieve some wanted data files.
    >> I can access the desired My Documents files but cannot find a folder
    >> of several hundred megs of photo images (all jpgs) that was on the
    >> Desktop, Where should I expect to find them?
    >> However I think that they are not actually visible anywhere, due to a
    >> probable data corruption when the PC failed.
    >> If this is so, it seems probable that the files are probably still
    >> actually on the hard drive even though I can't see them.
    >> What utility and/or technique could I use to try and retrieve them?
    >> I know the name of the desired, but invisible, folder.
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >> Brian Tozer
    >>

    > Windows ME, hmmm lets see.
    >
    > How about C:\Windows\Profiles\.....
    >
    > or
    >
    > C:\Windows\Desktop
    >
    > or
    >
    > Search for JPG, JPEG files. Make sure you are seeing all files and
    > folders including hidden and system.

    I agree, this is the way to go (you could also try searching for the name
    of the folder). If you still can't find them they are probably lost
    somewhere due to corruption of some kind.

    To retrieve accidentally deleted files or files that are inaccessible due
    to corruption of the file system you need some sort of file recovery
    software. You could Google for file recovery software, there are plenty to
    choose from. I use Restorer2000 Profesional, but that is not freeware (you
    could try it to see if it can find the files, but you would have to buy the
    software to recover them). I am pretty sure that there are at least a
    couple of freeware file recovery programs around.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 5, 2006
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Thanks Mark and Justin. You have been a big help.
    Brian

    KiwiBrian, Apr 6, 2006
  5. KiwiBrian

    bambam Guest

    MarkH <> wrote in

    > To retrieve accidentally deleted files or files that are inaccessible
    > due to corruption of the file system you need some sort of file
    > recovery software. You could Google for file recovery software, there
    > are plenty to choose from. I use Restorer2000 Profesional, but that
    > is not freeware (you could try it to see if it can find the files, but
    > you would have to buy the software to recover them). I am pretty sure
    > that there are at least a couple of freeware file recovery programs
    > around.

    Here are some freeware file recovery programs-

    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.30Files:Undelete

    Restoration, Drive Rescue, and PC Inspector File Recovery, are often
    mentioned in ACF (alt.comp.freeware) as the better of the list.

    bambam, Apr 6, 2006