    CLV3 Guest

    Here is a question for all you PC Techs....

    What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?
    CLV3, Dec 24, 2004

  2. CLV3

    JD Guest

    CLV3 wrote:
    > Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >
    > What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    um some screwdrivers a pair of plyers one of those anti-static
    wristbands that no one wears.
    JD, Dec 24, 2004

  3. CLV3

    Thor Guest

    "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    > Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >
    > What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    For me it would be more of a question as to what I carry in my service
    kit/bag because most of the work I do is onsite. I just use the same basic
    kit for onsite and in the shop.

    1. screwdrivers of various sizes, both magnetic and non-magnetic
    2. pliers (regular and needle-nose), side-cutters, wire strippers, and a
    small adjustable wrench.
    3. network cable test kit
    4. couple of network cables
    5. headphones (for testing sound card outputs)
    6. USB mouse, PS2 mouse, and Serial mouse
    7. small vial of light machine oil for rejuvinating noisy fans
    8. Anti-static wrist strap
    9. extra power cord
    10. assortment of screws common in most PCs.
    11. Small flashlight
    12. band-aids in case you cut yourself on a sharp-edged case, and pain
    reliever pills for those headache-inducing jobs.
    13. Floppy discs (boot floppies for every version of windows, basic hardware
    diagnostics, Norton Ghost, Spinrite, NTFSDOS pro and a few blank floppies)
    14. CDs (a copy of every version of windows OS install CDs from Win95a to
    WinXP SP2, Ultimate Boot CD, Knoppix, lots of driver library CDs I compile
    myself, antivirus and anti-spyware CDs, a Spinrite bootable CD, blank CD-Rs,
    and CDs with various useful utilities I have found on the web over the
    years) I keep all these discs in a big soft-side CD portfolio.
    15. Hard-copy documentation of various common windows problems and solutions
    mostly from the MS Knowlege Base, and many sets of instructions for
    manually removing certain kinds of spyware.
    16. Extra internal IDE, SATA, and floppy cables
    17. A couple of USB cables, VGA cable, and parallel printer cable (I usually
    just leave these in the vehicle and use them as needed rather than always
    carry them in my service kit)
    18. 25 foot telephone cord, and a small cheap telephone handset for checking
    telco jacks.

    With this kit, I am prepared to handle the vast majority of situations I
    encounter. I may bring other parts, equipment, tools, etc depending on the
    issue and job though if I think I may need it.

    At the shop on the workbench, i usually just put the basic kit nearby and
    use it. I don't have two complete sets of tools. Other items I have at the
    shop are extra monitors, harddrives, floppy drives, CD drives, DVD drives,
    soldering station, keyboards with AT and PS2 connectors, lots more cables of
    various types, power supplies of various types, RAM modules of various
    types, etc. The list is really too long to go into too much detail.
    Thor, Dec 24, 2004
  4. CLV3

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > 18. 25 foot telephone cord, and a small cheap telephone handset for checking
    > telco jacks.

    Hard to be believe that many folks who do onsite dont carry a telephone.
    It's a big timesaver for sure. Sometimes all that's wrong is a bad
    telephone wire to the pc or a bad splitter. It's also a neat item to use
    to see what line noise you got.
    Plato, Dec 24, 2004
  5. CLV3

    CLV3 Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    > > Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    > >
    > > What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    > For me it would be more of a question as to what I carry in my service
    > kit/bag because most of the work I do is onsite. I just use the same basic
    > kit for onsite and in the shop.
    >

    > 1. screwdrivers of various sizes, both magnetic and non-magnetic
    > 2. pliers (regular and needle-nose), side-cutters, wire strippers, and a
    > small adjustable wrench.
    > 3. network cable test kit
    > 4. couple of network cables
    > 5. headphones (for testing sound card outputs)
    > 6. USB mouse, PS2 mouse, and Serial mouse
    > 7. small vial of light machine oil for rejuvinating noisy fans
    > 8. Anti-static wrist strap
    > 9. extra power cord
    > 10. assortment of screws common in most PCs.
    > 11. Small flashlight
    > 12. band-aids in case you cut yourself on a sharp-edged case, and pain
    > reliever pills for those headache-inducing jobs.
    > 13. Floppy discs (boot floppies for every version of windows, basic

    hardware
    > diagnostics, Norton Ghost, Spinrite, NTFSDOS pro and a few blank floppies)
    > 14. CDs (a copy of every version of windows OS install CDs from Win95a to
    > WinXP SP2, Ultimate Boot CD, Knoppix, lots of driver library CDs I compile
    > myself, antivirus and anti-spyware CDs, a Spinrite bootable CD, blank

    CD-Rs,
    > and CDs with various useful utilities I have found on the web over the
    > years) I keep all these discs in a big soft-side CD portfolio.
    > 15. Hard-copy documentation of various common windows problems and

    solutions
    > mostly from the MS Knowlege Base, and many sets of instructions for
    > manually removing certain kinds of spyware.
    > 16. Extra internal IDE, SATA, and floppy cables
    > 17. A couple of USB cables, VGA cable, and parallel printer cable (I

    usually
    > just leave these in the vehicle and use them as needed rather than always
    > carry them in my service kit)
    > 18. 25 foot telephone cord, and a small cheap telephone handset for

    checking
    > telco jacks.
    >
    > With this kit, I am prepared to handle the vast majority of situations I
    > encounter. I may bring other parts, equipment, tools, etc depending on the
    > issue and job though if I think I may need it.
    >
    > At the shop on the workbench, i usually just put the basic kit nearby and
    > use it. I don't have two complete sets of tools. Other items I have at the
    > shop are extra monitors, harddrives, floppy drives, CD drives, DVD drives,
    > soldering station, keyboards with AT and PS2 connectors, lots more cables

    of
    > various types, power supplies of various types, RAM modules of various
    > types, etc. The list is really too long to go into too much detail.

    Thanks. That is quite the list. I may have to print it out for ideas. :)
    CLV3, Dec 24, 2004
  6. CLV3

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>
    >>What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    > For me it would be more of a question as to what I carry in my service
    > kit/bag because most of the work I do is onsite. I just use the same basic
    > kit for onsite and in the shop.

    Thor:

    Thanks for your excellent contributions to this newsgroup. They are very
    helpful and very much appreciated.

    mcp6453
    mcp6453, Dec 24, 2004
  7. CLV3

    Thor Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    >> Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>
    >> What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    > For me it would be more of a question as to what I carry in my service
    > kit/bag because most of the work I do is onsite. I just use the same basic
    > kit for onsite and in the shop.
    >

    > 1. screwdrivers of various sizes, both magnetic and non-magnetic
    > 2. pliers (regular and needle-nose), side-cutters, wire strippers, and a
    > small adjustable wrench.
    > 3. network cable test kit
    > 4. couple of network cables
    > 5. headphones (for testing sound card outputs)
    > 6. USB mouse, PS2 mouse, and Serial mouse
    > 7. small vial of light machine oil for rejuvinating noisy fans
    > 8. Anti-static wrist strap
    > 9. extra power cord
    > 10. assortment of screws common in most PCs.
    > 11. Small flashlight
    > 12. band-aids in case you cut yourself on a sharp-edged case, and pain
    > reliever pills for those headache-inducing jobs.
    > 13. Floppy discs (boot floppies for every version of windows, basic
    > hardware diagnostics, Norton Ghost, Spinrite, NTFSDOS pro and a few blank
    > floppies)
    > 14. CDs (a copy of every version of windows OS install CDs from Win95a to
    > WinXP SP2, Ultimate Boot CD, Knoppix, lots of driver library CDs I compile
    > myself, antivirus and anti-spyware CDs, a Spinrite bootable CD, blank
    > CD-Rs, and CDs with various useful utilities I have found on the web over
    > the years) I keep all these discs in a big soft-side CD portfolio.
    > 15. Hard-copy documentation of various common windows problems and
    > solutions mostly from the MS Knowlege Base, and many sets of instructions
    > for
    > manually removing certain kinds of spyware.
    > 16. Extra internal IDE, SATA, and floppy cables
    > 17. A couple of USB cables, VGA cable, and parallel printer cable (I
    > usually just leave these in the vehicle and use them as needed rather than
    > always carry them in my service kit)
    > 18. 25 foot telephone cord, and a small cheap telephone handset for
    > checking telco jacks.
    >
    > With this kit, I am prepared to handle the vast majority of situations I
    > encounter. I may bring other parts, equipment, tools, etc depending on the
    > issue and job though if I think I may need it.
    >
    > At the shop on the workbench, i usually just put the basic kit nearby and
    > use it. I don't have two complete sets of tools. Other items I have at the
    > shop are extra monitors, harddrives, floppy drives, CD drives, DVD drives,
    > soldering station, keyboards with AT and PS2 connectors, lots more cables
    > of various types, power supplies of various types, RAM modules of various
    > types, etc. The list is really too long to go into too much detail.

    couple more items I forgot to mention. A can of compressed air for blowing
    out dust, a small digital multimeter, and one of those little ATX power
    supply testers.
    Thor, Dec 24, 2004
  8. CLV3

    The One Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > CLV3 wrote:
    >> Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>
    >> What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?
    >>

    > um some screwdrivers a pair of plyers one of those anti-static wristbands
    > that no one wears.

    Not a lot then.........
    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  9. CLV3

    The One Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >> "CLV3" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>>
    >>>What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    >> For me it would be more of a question as to what I carry in my service
    >> kit/bag because most of the work I do is onsite. I just use the same
    >> basic kit for onsite and in the shop.

    > Thor:
    >
    > Thanks for your excellent contributions to this newsgroup. They are very
    > helpful and very much appreciated.
    >
    > mcp6453

    Totally in agreement a credit to his trade.
    The One, Dec 24, 2004
  10. CLV3

    Trent© Guest

    >> Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>
    >> What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?

    If I may add to...and delete from...Thor's list...

    >1. screwdrivers of various sizes, both magnetic and non-magnetic

    ....and electric.

    >2. pliers (regular and needle-nose), side-cutters, wire strippers, and a
    >small adjustable wrench.

    hex wrenches.

    >4. couple of network cables

    One crossover...one straight...different IDE's...3 power Y
    connectors...a 2ft. IDE.

    >6. USB mouse, PS2 mouse, and Serial mouse
    >7. small vial of light machine oil for rejuvinating noisy fans

    Never. Not worth the call-back hassle. I simply take new parts...one
    for almost any part inside the computer...including AT parts, ISA
    video, different RAM, etc.

    >9. extra power cord
    >10. assortment of screws common in most PCs.
    >11. Small flashlight
    >12. band-aids in case you cut yourself on a sharp-edged case, and pain
    >reliever pills for those headache-inducing jobs.

    Invoices!!! lol Business cards.

    Install...PC Anywhere on needed machines...business-address BAT
    file...report wizard (which I email so that client has my email
    address handy).

    >13. Floppy discs (boot floppies for every version of windows, basic hardware
    >diagnostics, Norton Ghost, Spinrite, NTFSDOS pro and a few blank floppies)
    >14. CDs (a copy of every version of windows OS install CDs from Win95a to
    >WinXP SP2, Ultimate Boot CD, Knoppix, lots of driver library CDs I compile
    >myself, antivirus and anti-spyware CDs, a Spinrite bootable CD, blank CD-Rs,
    >and CDs with various useful utilities I have found on the web over the
    >years) I keep all these discs in a big soft-side CD portfolio.

    >16. Extra internal IDE, SATA, and floppy cables

    and drives.

    >17. A couple of USB cables, VGA cable, and parallel printer cable (I usually
    >just leave these in the vehicle and use them as needed rather than always
    >carry them in my service kit)
    >18. 25 foot telephone cord, and a small cheap telephone handset for checking
    >telco jacks.

    >At the shop on the workbench, i usually just put the basic kit nearby and
    >use it. I don't have two complete sets of tools. Other items I have at the
    >shop are extra monitors, harddrives, floppy drives, CD drives, DVD drives,
    >soldering station, keyboards with AT and PS2 connectors, lots more cables of
    >various types, power supplies of various types, RAM modules of various
    >types, etc. The list is really too long to go into too much detail.

    Also...2 complete workstation setups...with a switch. Most
    diagnostics are performed from the main workbench machine.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 25, 2004
  11. CLV3

    JD Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:44:15 +0000, The One wrote:

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> CLV3 wrote:
    >>> Here is a question for all you PC Techs....
    >>>
    >>> What tools (both hardware and software) do you have on your workbench?
    >>>

    >> um some screwdrivers a pair of plyers one of those anti-static wristbands
    >> that no one wears.

    > Not a lot then.........

    Bit like your head
    JD, Dec 25, 2004