Tech Question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Paula&steve, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Paula&steve

    Paula&steve Guest

    I posted earlier about a boot up problem but im no sure i explained it right
    so would like so help if possible
    my son has a AMD socket 462 with ATHLON1400
    on board
    his comp started freezing up and shutting down then went from that to no
    booting up at all
    when ya turn on the power it stop at the very 1st time the floppy light
    comes on
    there are no beeps nothing just stops dead
    i thought he mite have cooked his cpu or board or both but there seems no
    burn marks and both seem in good condition they are not very old less then
    18 months in fact
    i was wondering if there's a problem with the bios
    the silly shit had no fire wall what so every and i wonder if he's been hit
    by one of the worms going around there fore i wondering what you use to get
    to the bios on bootup ?(a wee program on a floppy ??) or what
    Guys i need help on this as it's going to save me heaps (dads pockets aint
    so deep but i know son needs comp 4 Uni )
    thanks
    steve
    Paula&steve, Sep 8, 2003

  2. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:54:20 +1200, Paula&steve wrote:

    > there are no beeps nothing just stops dead

    Reseat the CPU, RAM and all cards.

    Check the PSU. Try another one.

    Make sure the core voltage, clock speed and mutltipliers are set right.
    Sometimes things work fine for a while, then die when overclocked.

    Look for fake AMD markings - see http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11364

    Check the receipts for it to see if the warranty has expired yet.

    Virus is unlikely if it's not getting to the bootup stage.

    Assuming you can get into bios setup, set it to boot off CDrom and put in
    a bootable CD.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Paula&steve

    Ralph Mason Guest

    "Paula&steve" <> wrote in message
    > I posted earlier about a boot up problem but im no sure i explained it

    right
    > so would like so help if possible
    > my son has a AMD socket 462 with ATHLON1400
    > on board
    > his comp started freezing up and shutting down then went from that to no
    > booting up at all
    > when ya turn on the power it stop at the very 1st time the floppy light
    > comes on
    > there are no beeps nothing just stops dead
    > i thought he mite have cooked his cpu or board or both but there seems no
    > burn marks and both seem in good condition they are not very old less then
    > 18 months in fact
    > i was wondering if there's a problem with the bios
    > the silly shit had no fire wall what so every and i wonder if he's been

    hit
    > by one of the worms going around there fore i wondering what you use to

    get
    > to the bios on bootup ?(a wee program on a floppy ??) or what
    > Guys i need help on this as it's going to save me heaps (dads pockets aint
    > so deep but i know son needs comp 4 Uni )
    > thanks
    > steve>

    Check the CPU cooling fan & heatsink is working well, clean and correctly
    installed.
    Ralph Mason, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Paula&steve

    Paula&steve Guest

    yeah did that mate thanks though :)
    "Ralph Mason" <> wrote
    in message news:b7T6b.140641$...

    Paula&steve, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Paula&steve

    Paula&steve Guest

    yeap tried removing every bar the cpu and fan and nothing on the screen at
    all
    it was my 1st thought he cooked

    again thanks for that though
    steve

    Paula&steve, Sep 8, 2003
  6. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:41:20 +1200, Paula&steve wrote:

    > yeap tried removing every bar the cpu and fan and nothing on the screen at
    > all
    > it was my 1st thought he cooked
    >
    > again thanks for that though
    > steve

    You usually get some text from the BIOS on the screen even without a
    CPU.
    Could be the power supply
    BIOS settings are usually accessed by holding down the delete key while
    booting, but if you are getting no display, its more basic than that.
    Olson Johnson, Sep 8, 2003
  7. Paula&steve

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:54:20 +1200, "Paula&steve"
    <> wrote:

    >I posted earlier about a boot up problem but im no sure i explained it right
    >so would like so help if possible
    >my son has a AMD socket 462 with ATHLON1400
    >on board
    >his comp started freezing up and shutting down then went from that to no
    >booting up at all
    >when ya turn on the power it stop at the very 1st time the floppy light
    >comes on
    >there are no beeps nothing just stops dead
    >i thought he mite have cooked his cpu or board or both but there seems no
    >burn marks and both seem in good condition they are not very old less then
    >18 months in fact
    >i was wondering if there's a problem with the bios
    >the silly shit had no fire wall what so every and i wonder if he's been hit
    >by one of the worms going around there fore i wondering what you use to get
    >to the bios on bootup ?(a wee program on a floppy ??) or what
    >Guys i need help on this as it's going to save me heaps (dads pockets aint
    >so deep but i know son needs comp 4 Uni )
    >thanks
    >steve

    If the floppy drive is lighting up & it gets no further then it looks
    like the sort of issue you get when the wrong BIOS is flashed. When a
    board is dead the floppy light doesn't come on.....don't get anything
    at all. The BIOS boot block is programmed to boot from floppy without
    displaying any (PCI or AGP) video if no BIOS is present or if the BIOS
    is corrupted.

    A way to check is put a bootable floppy in the drive & see if the
    floppy drive stays on for longer than usual... will indicate it's
    trying to do something then. An ISA video card also works with most
    boot blocks.

    If it is a bad BIOS then it can usually be reflashed via the boot
    block & a bootable floppy with a scripted update, might pay to look up
    the manufacturer's site for info on that.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Sep 8, 2003
  8. Gavin Tunney wrote:
    > The BIOS boot block is programmed to boot from floppy without
    > displaying any (PCI or AGP) video if no BIOS is present or if the BIOS
    > is corrupted.

    Doesn't it drive ISA video cards though?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Paula&steve

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:00:34 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >> The BIOS boot block is programmed to boot from floppy without
    >> displaying any (PCI or AGP) video if no BIOS is present or if the BIOS
    >> is corrupted.

    >Doesn't it drive ISA video cards though?

    Yes it does, which isn't much good on the newer boards with no ISA
    slots.

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Sep 8, 2003