    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wd_coyote@(remove)whoppermail.com
    Wild Coyote, Nov 9, 2003

  2. in article , Wild Coyote at
    wrote on 11/8/03 5:19 PM:

    > I am setting up an external hard drive and I wondered if Firewire or
    > USB 2.0 is faster. Any info would be appreciated. Why this group for
    > this question? I am moving some DVDs over to it. That is why I
    > bought it. (Tech details: 250 GB, 8 MB cache & spins at 7200 rpm).

    Still OT...I'm thinking about going to Italy or France for vacation, why am
    I asking here? Because I'll bring my portable DVD player with me;)

    Ok, does your computer have both USB2 and FireWire? All things being equal
    I always go with FireWire for things like drives, video, etc... On the other
    hand if you had USB2, I wouldn't go out and buy a FireWire card just to add
    a drive.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 02:08:51 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    >in article , Wild Coyote at
    > wrote on 11/8/03 5:19 PM:
    >
    >> I am setting up an external hard drive and I wondered if Firewire or
    >> USB 2.0 is faster. Any info would be appreciated. Why this group for
    >> this question? I am moving some DVDs over to it. That is why I
    >> bought it. (Tech details: 250 GB, 8 MB cache & spins at 7200 rpm).
    >>

    >Still OT...I'm thinking about going to Italy or France for vacation, why am
    >I asking here? Because I'll bring my portable DVD player with me;)
    >
    >Ok, does your computer have both USB2 and FireWire? All things being equal
    >I always go with FireWire for things like drives, video, etc... On the other
    >hand if you had USB2, I wouldn't go out and buy a FireWire card just to add
    >a drive.

    Thank you. I will refrain from any other OT questions.

    Wild Coyote, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Wild Coyote

    StrandgecK Guest

    Also make sure it's marked 'hi speed USB 2.0', as 'full speed USB 2.0' is
    really not the full speed of USB 2.0, only the speed of 1.1

    StrandgecK, Nov 9, 2003
  5. "Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    > I am setting up an external hard drive and I wondered if Firewire or
    > USB 2.0 is faster. Any info would be appreciated. Why this group for
    > this question? I am moving some DVDs over to it. That is why I
    > bought it. (Tech details: 250 GB, 8 MB cache & spins at 7200 rpm).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Still Howlin' at the Moon!
    >
    > Wild Coyote
    > wd_coyote@(remove)whoppermail.com

    USB2 is faster than Firewire. USB2 = 480mbps (sorry, those aren't MB/sec,
    thats Mb/sec, its 8x slower than MB/sec :(
    Firewire is 400mbps. It's not too much of a difference, only about
    16MB/sec, but you're unlikely to be using the initial 50MB/sec for very
    long. They're generally priced equally.
    Anonymous Joe, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Wild Coyote

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <6nArb.112802$mZ5.753729@attbi_s54>, Anonymous Joe
    <> wrote:

    > USB2 is faster than Firewire. USB2 = 480mbps (sorry, those aren't MB/sec,
    > thats Mb/sec, its 8x slower than MB/sec :(
    > Firewire is 400mbps. It's not too much of a difference, only about
    > 16MB/sec, but you're unlikely to be using the initial 50MB/sec for very
    > long. They're generally priced equally.

    You forgot Firewire 800.
    Max Volume, Nov 10, 2003