    starting out.

    thanks!

    blue

    blue, Nov 9, 2003

  2. blue

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Blue,

    I guess mainly, it would depend on what type of tech work you are doing.
    I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's for general pc repair, since
    it's in this newsgroup... ;-)

    I'm not a seasoned veteran, but most pc work I do onsite, is usually out of
    a toolbox. General hand tools, meters, bootcards, etc... and of course, a
    good selection of software, which quite a few can be gotten for very cheap
    or free. Of course, I feel most field work is 'general', unless you are
    servicing a large company, so that may give you an idea of my selection.

    Usually, for larger work, I like to do in the shop. Either I'll bundle it
    up and take in, or ask them to bring in over the phone. It does pay to have
    a system that is healthy for getting updated drivers, what you need to
    download over the net, a stack of hardware to swap out 'suspect' parts in a
    repair. If you feel that you need a lappie to help you in your work, try to
    get something that is durable, but not with the latest bells and whistles.
    Lately, Dell and Compaq have been showing some very good prices on t.v. for
    lappies, to be had for about $1000. Given that this will not be a mutimedia
    or gaming machine, a standard setup should be all you need. I guess just
    make sure that you have both a modem and NIC installed, or installable, to
    test internet/networking connectivity. A burner would also be nice, for
    some of those freeware testers, or to make a driver disk for the customer.
    But, to be honest, I would say maybe about 5% of the time I do repairs, do I
    wish that I had a lappie with me...

    Not sure if this helps or not, but just my $.02.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 9, 2003

  3. blue

    blue Guest

    Thanks Hoot for the advice. Yep, was wondering just for general pc
    repair. I need to start gathering up some stuff and don't want to
    overlook the obvious little things.

    blue

    blue, Nov 9, 2003
  4. blue

    BaldEagle Guest

    How would I get to the June thread entitled "The technician's toolbox"

    BaldEagle, Nov 11, 2003
  5. blue

    C Peck Guest

    Here's Tom's Hardware Guide, written last year

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020820/index.html

    Here's Slashdot's article thread on "What's in your toolbox", also from last
    year

    http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/08/1843257&mode=thread&tid=137

    Enjoy

    C Peck, Nov 11, 2003
  6. blue

    blue Guest

    Thanks Dave, Billy and C. Peck. Appreciate the positive responses!

    blue

    email address is fake...

    blue, Nov 13, 2003
  7. blue