    spheres.

    Any comments?

    Wyn
    Wyn, Apr 27, 2004

  2. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >
    >I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >worth the price?

    Well I bought a pack and have burnt 30 already, no errors in any of
    the data burnt and they were all filled to the brim (one overburned to
    704 MB too).

    Nero says the discs are manufacturered by "CMC Magnetics Corp; 6". I
    am damn sure my imation ones are too...

    It doesn't have a spindle for the discs to sit in, if you buy it in
    the box like I did. Once the wrapper comes off, the discs attempt to
    break formation and fly everywhere. Buy some of the $9.99 48-pack CD
    case holder thingies. :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Wyn

    Chris Hope Guest

    Wyn wrote:

    > Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >
    > I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    > worth the price?
    >
    > I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in other
    > spheres.

    I've been buying Ricoh CDRs from QMB http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100705
    which are about $27 for 50; even with the freight they're still cheaper
    than anywhere else I've seen. So far I have burned around 150 of them (I
    use them for backups and I make a *lot* of copies of Linux ISOs) and have
    had no problems so far. If you're in Auckland you can order them online and
    then go pick them up. And no, I don't work for them :)

    --
    Chris Hope
    The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
    Chris Hope, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Ive never had any probs with cheap unbranded 50 packs.
    Sort of wonder whether some peoples 'burn problems" arent
    actually disk related.
    Steve Robertson, Apr 27, 2004
  5. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:24:49 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>
    >>I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >>worth the price?

    >Well I bought a pack and have burnt 30 already, no errors in any of
    >the data burnt and they were all filled to the brim (one overburned to
    >704 MB too).
    >
    >Nero says the discs are manufacturered by "CMC Magnetics Corp; 6". I
    >am damn sure my imation ones are too...

    Yes they have been referred as Crap brand CD's

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  6. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:44:52 +1200, "" <>
    wrote:

    >what about these for an alternative?
    >http://dse.resultspage.com/search.p...e=&w=cdr gold&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go

    Made by Prodisk, nothing at all to do with Mitsubishi and the are NOT GOLD
    DISKS..

    They are refereed to a Golden..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  7. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >
    >I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >worth the price?
    >
    >I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in other
    >spheres.
    >
    >Any comments?
    >
    >Wyn

    CRAP CD's..

    Nothind to do with TDK..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  8. Wyn

    Max Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >
    >I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >worth the price?
    >
    >I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in other
    >spheres.
    >
    >Any comments?
    >
    >Wyn

    I have found them good so far, although one of mine had a small hole
    through the gold layer. Certainly better than SOny ones, which are
    beginning to flake at the edges after only a couple of years.
    Max, Apr 27, 2004
  9. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:33:11 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >Wyn wrote:
    >
    >> Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>
    >> I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >> worth the price?
    >>
    >> I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in other
    >> spheres.

    >I've been buying Ricoh CDRs from QMB http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100705
    >which are about $27 for 50; even with the freight they're still cheaper
    >than anywhere else I've seen. So far I have burned around 150 of them (I
    >use them for backups and I make a *lot* of copies of Linux ISOs) and have
    >had no problems so far.

    I've used the TDK R80 Golds from The Warehouse without any problems
    but I've heard that these are the Taiwanese made ones that aren't a
    patch on the original Japanese ones.

    For day-to-day work I just buy the cheapest "Datalot" discs from The
    Warehouse -- they work fine and dandy although I *would not* commit
    anything that had to be archived for any length of time to them.

    To find out why -- try breaking one in half and whatch how poorly the
    aluminium foil is adhered to the plastic substrate.

    For VCD/SVCD use I've actually found that the purple Transonics are
    surprisingly good -- especially since they have at least 5MB of
    overburn capacity (which the Datalot discs don't) and so far they're
    lasting very well.

    I see that The Warehouse is now also selling the silver TDK R80s in a
    metal tin -- but I've not tried them and don't feel like plonking down
    premium disc money on a whole stack of 50 in the hope that they're
    okay.

    Bruce Simpson, Apr 27, 2004
  10. Wyn

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Apr 27, 2004
  11. In <> Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>
    >>I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >>worth the price?

    > Well I bought a pack and have burnt 30 already, no errors in any of
    > the data burnt and they were all filled to the brim (one overburned to
    > 704 MB too).
    >
    > Nero says the discs are manufacturered by "CMC Magnetics Corp; 6". I
    > am damn sure my imation ones are too...

    It seems that the name that's reported by a program is next to useless
    anyway, as it doesn't refer to the manufacturer of the CD at all.

    From the CD-R Faq at http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-33

    "Two components that many users of these programs always take as gospel
    are Media Manufacturer and Dye Data. These two readings are next to
    worthless."

    "The reason for this is that many CD-R manufacturers (like CD-
    Recordable.com) purchase their stampers (the nickel die that all CD-R
    substrates are molded from) from 3rd party sources. These 3rd party
    sources (either other disc manufacturers, or mastering houses) encode
    the data that these 'Identification' programs read, at the time that
    the original glass master is encoded. The 'Manufacturer' information
    that is encoded is usually the name of the company that made the master.
    Since stampers made from that master will be sold to disc manufacturers
    the world over, all of discs that those manufacturers produce from
    those stampers will contain the same 'Manufacturer' information.
    Information which is obviously quite erroneous and irrelevant. Very
    seldom will the 'manufacturer' information encoded on a CD-R actually
    tell you anything other than who made the original master. [...]"

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Wyn

    splat Guest

    "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    > Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >
    > I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    > worth the price?
    >
    > I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in other
    > spheres.
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > Wyn

    Ive used them a lot. As a "budget" brand they have performed quite well.

    As an added bonus, woger says they're "crap" so therefore theres proof that
    they must be ok.
    splat, Apr 27, 2004
  13. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:24:49 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>>
    >>> I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are
    >>> they worth the price?

    >> Well I bought a pack and have burnt 30 already, no errors in any of
    >> the data burnt and they were all filled to the brim (one overburned
    >> to 704 MB too).
    >>
    >> Nero says the discs are manufacturered by "CMC Magnetics Corp; 6". I
    >> am damn sure my imation ones are too...

    > Yes they have been referred as Crap brand CD's

    That's a good enough recommendation for me, Roger. I'll pop down and get
    some tomorrow.
    Wyn, Apr 27, 2004
  14. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>
    >> I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >> worth the price?
    >>
    >> I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in
    >> other spheres.
    >>
    >> Any comments?
    >>
    >> Wyn
    >>

    > CRAP CD's..
    >
    > Nothind to do with TDK..

    Bullshit.

    How come they've got the TDK brand on them then? Sure they're made in
    Taiwan, which is quite likely where your motherboard was made - or are
    you suggesting that they are made by some sort of pirate outfit which
    puts the TDK brand on them?

    If you mean that they're not manufactured by TDK that would not be at
    all unusual. No doubt TDK provides specifications for a manufacturer to
    produce disks on its behalf.

    Do you think that TDK, which has a reputation to uphold, would allow
    product below specification to carry its name?
    Wyn, Apr 27, 2004
  15. Wyn

    IRO Guest

    In article <>,
    "splat" <> wrote:

    > Ive used them a lot. As a "budget" brand they have performed quite well.
    >
    > As an added bonus, woger says they're "crap" so therefore theres proof that
    > they must be ok.

    The trouble with budget brands, or with top-of-the-line brands for that
    matter, is that you can't be sure they have "performed quite well" until
    a few years have past and you go to dig up those old family photos.

    When the CDs are unreadable you know they didn't perform well.

    There are apparently big problems looming with long term storage of data.

    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.
    IRO, Apr 27, 2004
  16. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:48:49 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:24:49 +1200, "Kristofer Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Well I bought a pack and have burnt 30 already, no errors in any of
    >>> the data burnt and they were all filled to the brim (one overburned
    >>> to 704 MB too).
    >>>
    >>> Nero says the discs are manufacturered by "CMC Magnetics Corp; 6". I
    >>> am damn sure my imation ones are too...

    >> Yes they have been referred as Crap brand CD's

    >That's a good enough recommendation for me, Roger. I'll pop down and get
    >some tomorrow.

    Please try not to be such a Idiot, go read some of the CDR Web sites, CMC
    Magnetic's are refereed to as utter CRAP..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  17. On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:49:11 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:50:09 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today I saw the above at the Warehouse - $70/100
    >>>
    >>> I haven't seen them mentioned in the various threads so far. Are they
    >>> worth the price?
    >>>
    >>> I know that for many years TDK have had an excellent reputation in
    >>> other spheres.
    >>>
    >>> Any comments?
    >>>
    >>> Wyn
    >>>

    >> CRAP CD's..
    >>
    >> Nothind to do with TDK..

    >Bullshit.
    >
    >How come they've got the TDK brand on them then? Sure they're made in
    >Taiwan, which is quite likely where your motherboard was made - or are
    >you suggesting that they are made by some sort of pirate outfit which
    >puts the TDK brand on them?
    >
    >If you mean that they're not manufactured by TDK that would not be at
    >all unusual. No doubt TDK provides specifications for a manufacturer to
    >produce disks on its behalf.
    >
    >Do you think that TDK, which has a reputation to uphold, would allow
    >product below specification to carry its name?

    Made by CMC Magnetic you silly little Boy..

    Referred to all the CDR Web sites as a Crap Brand..

    FACT..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  18. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:02:19 +1200, IRO <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "splat" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ive used them a lot. As a "budget" brand they have performed quite well.
    >>
    >> As an added bonus, woger says they're "crap" so therefore theres proof that
    >> they must be ok.

    >The trouble with budget brands, or with top-of-the-line brands for that
    >matter, is that you can't be sure they have "performed quite well" until
    >a few years have past and you go to dig up those old family photos.
    >
    >When the CDs are unreadable you know they didn't perform well.
    >
    >There are apparently big problems looming with long term storage of data.
    >

    >------
    >~IRO
    >My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    >REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    Go on some of the Reference CDR Web sites, Ritek & CMC are refereed to as
    Crap Brands

    Go for Verbatim Datalife Plus..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 27, 2004
  19. Wyn

    splat Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "splat" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Ive used them a lot. As a "budget" brand they have performed quite

    well.

    > > As an added bonus, woger says they're "crap" so therefore theres proof

    that
    > > they must be ok.

    > The trouble with budget brands, or with top-of-the-line brands for that
    > matter, is that you can't be sure they have "performed quite well" until
    > a few years have past and you go to dig up those old family photos.
    >
    > When the CDs are unreadable you know they didn't perform well.
    >
    > There are apparently big problems looming with long term storage of data.

    Very valid point. I use mine for a variety of purposes including software
    backups which I refer to quite often - and I've yet to see a failure. But as
    you point out, will they still be ok in 5 years from now :)

    For anything critical, I prefer to use one of the more "trusted" brands.

    Another aspect is that Ive seen good brands fail on certain writers - so I
    guess you've got to mix & match for each circumstance.
    splat, Apr 27, 2004
  20. Wyn

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:37:32 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    <> wrote:

    >Go on some of the Reference CDR Web sites, Ritek & CMC are refereed to as
    >Crap Brands
    >
    >Go for Verbatim Datalife Plus..

    The Verbatim DP's I have sitting here are made in Taiwan, so it's 6 of 1, 1/2
    doz of the other at the end of the day.
    Invisible, Apr 27, 2004