    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
    will make violent revolution inevitable."
    --Sun Tzu
    Bob, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How do you get TDA (TMPGEnc DVD Author ) to put up a "Main Menu"?
    >
    > I can only get it to put up a "Title Menu", as indicated in WinDVD and
    > my ILO DVDR.
    >
    > I have "Only Main Menu" checked under "Menu Display Settings" so you
    > would think TDA would follow its own instructions. But all I get is a
    > Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.

    Semantics, most likely.

    The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

    In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
    you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
    track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
    the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
    Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
    consider it the Title's Menu also.

    So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
    tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
    select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:37:59 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > Semantics, most likely.

    I wish it were.

    > The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    >the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    >So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

    Whatever name TDA has for it, the devices (WinDVD and ILO DVDR) call
    it Title Menu. I have to use the "Title" key on the remote for the
    DVDR - the "Menu" key won't work at all. There is no entry under "Root
    Menu" in WinDVD - it's empty.

    > In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
    >you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
    >track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
    >the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
    >Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
    >consider it the Title's Menu also.

    I am aware of that.

    > So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
    >tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
    >select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

    It allows me to select among the various titles.

    My problem is that I have to use the Title key on the ILO remote
    because I do not have it programmed into my main remote since I have
    never had to use it. With ordinary DVDs, the Menu key works.

    I think this is a bug that came about because the Japanese do not
    understand how people use their remotes. But I can live with it - I
    will have to mark the discs to remind me to use the original remote
    with the Title key. It would have been so much simplier if the
    developer had just done it right from the outset.

    --

    "There is much to be said in favor of
    the Internet. By giving us the opinions
    Bob, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:37:59 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Semantics, most likely.

    > I wish it were.
    >
    >> The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    >>the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    >>So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu.

    > Whatever name TDA has for it, the devices (WinDVD and ILO DVDR) call
    > it Title Menu. I have to use the "Title" key on the remote for the
    > DVDR - the "Menu" key won't work at all. There is no entry under "Root
    > Menu" in WinDVD - it's empty.
    >
    >> In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where
    >>you can select the chapters within the title. This is called a
    >>track menu in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of
    >>the chapters within a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter
    >>Menu. Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
    >>consider it the Title's Menu also.

    > I am aware of that.
    >
    >> So do you have a menu that lets you select from among the
    >>tracks/VTS/Titles you have on the DVD or does it let you
    >>select from the chapters of a single track/VTS/Title ?

    > It allows me to select among the various titles.

    Then it is functioning as intended for a "Main Menu".

    > My problem is that I have to use the Title key on the ILO remote
    > because I do not have it programmed into my main remote since I have
    > never had to use it. With ordinary DVDs, the Menu key works.

    With some of my players the "Menu" key works with the "Main
    menu only" TDA DVDs as well; with others it doesen't.

    > I think this is a bug that came about because the Japanese do not
    > understand how people use their remotes. But I can live with it - I
    > will have to mark the discs to remind me to use the original remote
    > with the Title key. It would have been so much simplier if the
    > developer had just done it right from the outset.

    You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
    or expect is a "BUG".

    If you want the Main menu again just restart the DVD, assuming
    you have the firstplay action set to "Display Main menu". Your
    remote should be able to do that with the press of a couple of
    buttons.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:29:55 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > With some of my players the "Menu" key works with the "Main
    >menu only" TDA DVDs as well; with others it doesn't.

    I have never had a problem with this with any other DVD.

    > If you want the Main menu again just restart the DVD, assuming
    >you have the firstplay action set to "Display Main menu". Your
    >remote should be able to do that with the press of a couple of
    >buttons.

    I did that on the second run and indeed it starts off on the menu.
    However once I have made a selection, I cannot access the menu again
    without using the title button.

    I can, however, access the titles via the GoTo function where the
    various titles are enumerated albeit in cryptic manner. Or I suppose I
    could cycle the disc open each time.

    Bob, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Bob

    <> wrote:

    >Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
    >consider it the Title's Menu also.

    If you take a look on the window called "Display Menu Settings" you
    will find a "Main Menu" and a "Track Menu".

    If you select "Main Menu Only" you end up with what WinDVD calls the
    Title Menu and no Root Menu aka Main Menu.

    Bob, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:29:55 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Since TDA is using the term "track" for Title, you might
    >>consider it the Title's Menu also.

    If you were to quote the rest of the paragraph, this might make
    some sense, without the rest there is no way to establish which
    menu is being talked about.

    > If you take a look on the window called "Display Menu Settings" you
    > will find a "Main Menu" and a "Track Menu".
    >
    > If you select "Main Menu Only" you end up with what WinDVD calls the
    > Title Menu and no Root Menu aka Main Menu.

    There is only one menu on the DVD you made. WinDVD is apparently
    calling it a Title Menu. There is no way for the DVD to magically create
    another menu to be your "Root Menu a.k.a. (by you, as a) Main Menu".

    When TDA makes a "Main" menu it is the menu in the DVD specifications
    that lets you select different VTS (Video Title Sets). A DVD can also have
    other menus including a "root" menu to select other menus (audio,
    subpicture,
    special features, ect..) that need not be the "Main" menu for VTS selection.

    Different players handle this in different ways, some remotes only have
    one
    menu button, some have several. Because two hardware or software players
    use the same term, does not necessarily mean they are using the same
    process.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Bob

    Alpha Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    > You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
    > or expect is a "BUG".

    I do not remember calling these issues bugs. I called them design flaws.
    Alpha, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:34:23 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > There is only one menu on the DVD you made. WinDVD is apparently
    >calling it a Title Menu.

    But TDA called it the Main Menu, and reserved the term Title Menu for
    something entirely different.

    >There is no way for the DVD to magically create
    >another menu to be your "Root Menu a.k.a. (by you, as a) Main Menu".

    Commercial DVDs create a Root Menu.

    > When TDA makes a "Main" menu it is the menu in the DVD specifications
    >that lets you select different VTS (Video Title Sets). A DVD can also have
    >other menus including a "root" menu to select other menus (audio,
    >subpicture,
    >special features, ect..) that need not be the "Main" menu for VTS selection.

    Commercial DVDs put the two together and call it the Root Menu. I am
    able to access it in WinDVD thru "Root Menu" and with my DVDR as
    "Menu". I don't even have a Title key on my programmable remote.

    Bob, Jun 14, 2006
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:13:18 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >> You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want
    >> or expect is a "BUG".

    >I do not remember calling these issues bugs. I called them design flaws.

    Microsoft would call it a "feature".

    Bob, Jun 14, 2006
  11. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:34:23 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> There is only one menu on the DVD you made. WinDVD is apparently
    >>calling it a Title Menu.

    > But TDA called it the Main Menu, and reserved the term Title Menu for
    > something entirely different.

    Again Semantics. And TDA doesn't mention a "Title Menu" at any time.

    >>There is no way for the DVD to magically create
    >>another menu to be your "Root Menu a.k.a. (by you, as a) Main Menu".

    > Commercial DVDs create a Root Menu.

    Yes they sometimes do, but when they want their DVDs to have
    more than one menu, they create more than one menu.

    >> When TDA makes a "Main" menu it is the menu in the DVD specifications
    >>that lets you select different VTS (Video Title Sets). A DVD can also
    >>have
    >>other menus including a "root" menu to select other menus (audio,
    >>subpicture, special features, ect..) that need not be the "Main" menu for
    >>VTS selection.

    > Commercial DVDs put the two together and call it the Root Menu. I am
    > able to access it in WinDVD thru "Root Menu" and with my DVDR as
    > "Menu". I don't even have a Title key on my programmable remote.

    Not all the time, and not using "Root Menu" as a consistent term. The
    player doesn't have any idea what the programmer who authored the DVD
    (or the program he used) may have called his menus, they just respond to
    the VM commands that navigate them through the DVD as it is structured.

    All DVDs conform within the limits of a defined structure, in terms of
    the allowed menu structure, as well; but there is a good deal of creative
    flexibility built into the structure. No two DVDs (commercial or
    otherwise) need be constructed with the same menus, but they all must
    conform to the specifications.

    It is pointless to get into a discussion of what terms should be used
    for the different processes and implementations of the features of a
    DVD. Different authoring programs, players, remotes, dropdown
    menus, ect... will use different terms for the same processes and the
    same terms for totally different processes. You and Alpha seem to
    be able to pick the terms you believe should be used, and feel that
    any use, contrary to that, is wrong.

    This whole thread makes me wonder what you do when you go
    out and there are no "Bathrooms" only "Rest Rooms", or "Men's
    room" or some other colorful term?

    I can make or trick TDA into making just about any menu I
    might need. I don't expect every player out there to respond
    exactly the same or use the same term as I intended. I am
    often just glad if it will play the particular media, burned with the
    particular program and file format I may have used. Most of the
    time I get very satisfactory results.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jun 14, 2006
  12. Bob

    Guest

    > How do you get TDA (TMPGEnc DVD Author ) to put up a "Main Menu"?

    > I can only get it to put up a "Title Menu", as indicated in WinDVD
    > and my ILO DVDR.

    > I have "Only Main Menu" checked under "Menu Display Settings" so
    > you would think TDA would follow its own instructions. -- Bob

    This is your problem, it did.

    > But all I get is a Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.
    > -- Bob

    You asked for a "Main Menu" and that is what you got, what in DVD
    parlance is known as a "Title Menu". The fact that WinDVD and your
    ILO use different terms than TDA shouldn't bother you any more than
    than the meaning of "fender" depends on whether you are in the US
    or Britain.

    > Semantics, most likely. -- Ken Maltby

    Most definitely.

    > Whatever name TDA has for it, the devices (WinDVD and ILO DVDR)
    > call it Title Menu. I have to use the "Title" key on the remote
    > for the DVDR - the "Menu" key won't work at all. -- Bob

    Well that is what it is in DVD parlance. The "Title", or "Top Menu"
    key on remotes jump from where ever you are on the DVD to the PGC
    labeled "Title" in the VIDEO_TS.VOB. When you press the "Menu" you
    jump to the "Root" menu in which ever VTS is currently playing. The
    reason your "Menu" key won't work is that you failed to specify a
    "Root" menu by checking "Main Menu Only".

    > There is no entry under "Root Menu" in WinDVD - it's empty. -- Bob

    > In TDA you can also have a menu for each Title/VTS where you can
    > select the chapters within the title. This is called a track menu
    > in TDA. You could also describe it as a menu of the chapters within
    > a particular title/VTS/Track, or a Chapter Menu. Since TDA is using
    > the term "track" for Title, you might consider it the Title's Menu
    > also. -- Ken Maltby

    > I am aware of that. -- Bob

    No you aren't, or you wouldn't have structured your DVD as you did.

    > My problem is that I have to use the Title key on the ILO remote
    > because I do not have it programmed into my main remote since I
    > have never had to use it. -- Bob

    Well if you would learn to use TDA, you still wouldn't.

    > With ordinary DVDs, the Menu key works. -- Bob

    That's because "ordinary DVDs" have "Root Menus" for each VTS.

    > I think this is a bug that came about because the Japanese do not
    > understand how people use their remotes.

    It's not a bug; PEBKAC.

    > But I can live with it - I will have to mark the discs to remind me
    > to use the original remote with the Title key. It would have been
    > so much simplier if the developer had just done it right from the
    > outset. -- Bob

    No, it would be simpler if you programmed your main remote to have a
    "Title" or "Top Menu" key. That and learn how to design navigational
    structures for your own DVDs.

    "There is much to be said in favor of the Internet. By giving us the
    opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance
    of the community." -- Bob's signature

    Never were truer words spoken concerning your own state of mind.

    > You and Alpha, anything that works differently than you want or
    > expect is a "BUG". -- Ken Maltby

    If Bob were to climb into a cockpit, he would assume the pedals were
    for only for braking and accelerating and the throttles were seperate
    gearshift levers for each engine. Why should God expect him to learn
    how to operate it; planes should be intuitive to operate.

    > However once I have made a selection, I cannot access the menu again
    > without using the title button. -- Bob

    If you don't have a "Root Menu" in the title you have selected, how
    the **** do you expect that title to respond to the "Menu" button?

    > I can, however, access the titles via the GoTo function where the
    > various titles are enumerated albeit in cryptic manner. Or I suppose
    > I could cycle the disc open each time. -- Bob

    Or you could supply a "Root Menu" in each VTS which did nothing but
    auto invoke the "Title Menu" in the VIDEO_TS.VOB.

    > If you take a look on the window called "Display Menu Settings" you
    > will find a "Main Menu" and a "Track Menu".
    > If you select "Main Menu Only" you end up with what WinDVD calls the
    > Title Menu and no Root Menu aka Main Menu. -- Bob

    As Ken indicated, a matter of semantics. In DVD parlence, there is no
    such thing as a "Main" menu. Menus are contained in the VIDEO_TS.VOB
    and the various VTS_nn_0.VOBs. Each PGC is a seperate menu. Most do
    not even have video blocks, so you see nothing on your display. Some do
    have video blocks, and some of those have defined buttons which you can
    invoke a response via your remote. Navigation is programmed into these
    PGCs.Even fewer have a specific category assigned. The available
    categories are "Title", "Root", "Audio", "Subtitle"/"Subpicture", and
    "Chapter". The VIDEO_TS.VOB can only have a "Title" menu, and only the
    VIDEO_TS.VOB can have a "Title" menu. The remaining types can occur in
    each VTS_nn_0.VOB. Pressing the appropriate remote key causes an
    interruption in play, if applicable, and a jump to the corresponding
    PGC within the VTS currently active. Pressing the "Title" or "Top Menu"
    key causes the active VTS to be terminated and a jump to the "Title"
    PGC in the VIDEO_TS.VOB.

    > I do not remember calling these issues bugs. I called them design flaws.
    > -- Alpha

    The only design flaws involved are the gamates supplied by your
    parents.

    > But TDA called it the Main Menu, and reserved the term Title Menu for
    > something entirely different. -- Bob

    As Ken later claims, TDA does not refer to a "Title Menu". Where do
    you find this reserved usage, and what does it do?

    > Commercial DVDs create a Root Menu. -- Bob

    No joke, they supply a Root Menu for each VTS so there is something
    to respond to the "Menu" key. They also supply a "Title" menu in the
    VIDEO_TS.VOB so there is an ability to leave a VTS which does not
    have a selectable menu.

    > Commercial DVDs put the two together and call it the Root Menu. I
    > am able to access it in WinDVD thru "Root Menu" and with my DVDR
    > as "Menu". -- Bob

    To put it bluntly, you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

    Most often the "Title" menu on commercial DVDs does not display a
    thing. It is generally a method of resetting the state of the DVD
    player without cycling thru a tray open and close to invoke
    "FirstPlay" and bypasses all the original nag screens.

    What you are calling a "Main Menu" is generally either the "Root Menu"
    or a PGC jumped to by the "Root Menu" of the main or feature VTS. I'd
    suggest you try PGCedit [it's free] and actually look at the menu
    structure of several commercial DVDs [preferably of different brands]
    to see how they are actually structured, but your previous posts
    indicate you are a "one click" wonder who demands instant comfort.

    > I don't even have a Title key on my programmable remote. -- Bob

    That is your personal problem.

    Look, Ken knows his way around TDA; he can help you, BUT, first you
    have to come to grips with the fact that YOU have the problem, not TDA.
    , Jun 15, 2006
  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:08:50 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > I can make or trick TDA into making just about any menu I
    >might need.

    Can you get it to make what WinDVD and ILO DVDR call "Root Menu"?

    Maybe I need to reprogram my remote to the "Title" button and leave
    the "Menu" button off.

    Bob, Jun 15, 2006
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 15 Jun 2006 04:27:25 -0700, wrote:

    >Look, Ken knows his way around TDA; he can help you, BUT, first you
    >have to come to grips with the fact that YOU have the problem, not TDA.

    It's obviously a matter of definitions. TDA uses the term "Main Menu"
    to mean what WinDVD and ILO DVDR use for "Title". There is no
    provision for creating a menu that WinDVD and ILO call the "Root Menu"
    or simply "Menu".

    Maybe I can get by with reprogramming my remote to accomodate this
    semantic shift.

    Bob, Jun 15, 2006
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 15 Jun 2006 04:27:25 -0700, wrote:

    >> But all I get is a Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.

    >You asked for a "Main Menu" and that is what you got, what in DVD
    >parlance is known as a "Title Menu". The fact that WinDVD and your
    >ILO use different terms than TDA

    Actually WinDVD and ILO both use "Title", so they got it right.

    What has confused me is the use of the term "Main Menu" by TDA to mean
    Title Menu. I was expecting it to mean "Root Menu". But TDA doesn't
    even have any Root Menu.

    How silly of me to think that "Main" meant "Root" and not "Title".

    Bob, Jun 15, 2006
  16. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On 15 Jun 2006 04:27:25 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>> But all I get is a Title Menu - and I didn't even ask for one.

    >>You asked for a "Main Menu" and that is what you got, what in DVD
    >>parlance is known as a "Title Menu". The fact that WinDVD and your
    >>ILO use different terms than TDA

    > Actually WinDVD and ILO both use "Title", so they got it right.
    >
    > What has confused me is the use of the term "Main Menu" by TDA to mean
    > Title Menu. I was expecting it to mean "Root Menu". But TDA doesn't
    > even have any Root Menu.
    >
    > How silly of me to think that "Main" meant "Root" and not "Title".
    >

    > --

    The first two paragraphs from my first reply to your post:

    Ken Maltby, Jun 15, 2006
  17. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:41:14 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >> How silly of me to think that "Main" meant "Root" and not "Title".

    > The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    >the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    >So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu."

    Then it should be called the Title Menu and not Main Menu, which
    implies the conventional Root Menu. In addition, there should be a
    provision for creating a Root Menu for those who want one.

    BTW, TDA does have a separate "Track Menu" which according to you
    would be applicable to "VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in
    TDA)". That reinforces the belief that "Main Menu" refers to the
    conventional Root Menu and that "Track Menu" refers to the
    conventional Title Menu.

    I have never used the TDA "Track Menu" so I have no idea what happens
    when you do use it.

    Bob, Jun 15, 2006
  18. Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:41:14 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> How silly of me to think that "Main" meant "Root" and not "Title".

    >> The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    >>the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    >>So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu."

    > Then it should be called the Title Menu and not Main Menu, which
    > implies the conventional Root Menu. In addition, there should be a
    > provision for creating a Root Menu for those who want one.
    >
    > BTW, TDA does have a separate "Track Menu" which according to you
    > would be applicable to "VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in
    > TDA)". That reinforces the belief that "Main Menu" refers to the
    > conventional Root Menu and that "Track Menu" refers to the
    > conventional Title Menu.
    >
    > I have never used the TDA "Track Menu" so I have no idea what happens
    > when you do use it.
    >
    > --

    I could quote the third paragraph of my first reply, where I described
    the track menu. ( The one which you said you were aware of what I
    described.) But given this post, I have to think this discussion is a lost
    cause. Call things whatever you want, have whatever "belief" you wish.
    TDA will use the terms as they have been, as will the other programs,
    you can feel that TDA's use is wrong all you want, it won't change reality
    in the slightest manner.

    Perhaps if you had actually read, at least the first three paragraphs
    of my initial four paragraph reply, and given what I said some thought,
    you could have a better understanding. As it is you seem more
    concerned about what terms are used than about the processes
    involved.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jun 16, 2006
  19. Bob

    Guest

    >> I can make or trick TDA into making just about any menu I
    >> might need. -- Ken Maltby

    > Can you get it to make what WinDVD and ILO DVDR call "Root Menu"?
    > -- Bob

    Yes, but it behaves more like a "Chapters Menu" than a "Root Menu",
    nevertheless it will respond to your menu button. All you have to do
    is select both "Top Menu" and "Track Menus". It's behavior is also
    obnoxious in that it requires multiple presses to start play and
    multiple presses to return to what you call your "Main Menu".

    > Maybe I need to reprogram my remote to the "Title" button and leave
    > the "Menu" button off. -- Bob

    NO!!!!! You will mess up your remote's behavior with commercial DVDs.

    BTW, what is the make and model of this remote?

    > It's obviously a matter of definitions. TDA uses the term
    > "Main Menu" to mean what WinDVD and ILO DVDR use for "Title".
    > There is no provision for creating a menu that WinDVD and ILO call
    > the "Root Menu" or simply "Menu". -- Bob

    I just downloaded the current trial version OF TDA and experimented
    with it. The term they are currently using is "Top Menu" which conforms
    to the buttons on two of my set top remotes.

    Once more with feeling, a DVD player is a virtual 16 bit computer
    with a peculiar instruction set. Your remote keys are a means of
    causing an interrupt. If you press the "Menu Key", the current process
    is stopped and control passed to the "Root Menu" of the currently
    active VTS. If there is no defined "Root Menu" in the active VTS,
    nothing happens. Every remote I have for a set top player provides
    either a "Title" key or a "Top Menu" key. It is a distinct interrupt
    from the "Menu Key" and jumps from the current VTS to the VIDEO_TS.VOB.
    If there was no "Title Menu", this interrupt would also not function.

    Do not assume the screen with selectable buttons for the top hierarchy
    of your DVD is the "title" or "main" menu. It may not even be in the
    same VTS for which it establishes navigation. How they are used on a
    particular DVD depends on the author/programmer. From the player's
    point of view, "Top Menu/Title Key" jumps to instructions in the
    VIDEO_TS.VOB; "Menu" jumps to instructions in the current VTS_nn_0.VOB.
    If you will look at the directory of your problem DVD, there are no
    VTS_nn_0.VOBs. It doesn't mean shit which key is pressed, it is what
    the instructions do at the location vectored. You would think "Angle"
    would refer to camera angle, but it is most often used to initialize
    foreign language handling or to provide newspaper print or letters
    which correspond to the selected audio language. It could just as
    well be the chapters or special features menu. All the player knows is
    that the remote has requested an interrupt, and the DVD says transfer
    control to the specified location.

    > BTW, TDA does have a separate "Track Menu" which according to you
    > would be applicable to "VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks
    > in TDA)". That reinforces the belief that "Main Menu" refers to the
    > conventional Root Menu and that "Track Menu" refers to the
    > conventional Title Menu. -- Bob

    No, a TDA "track" refers to a VTS/video title set. These menus are
    actually defined as "Root Menus" even though they behave more like
    traditional chapter menus from the way TDA constructs them.

    > I have never used the TDA "Track Menu" so I have no idea what happens
    > when you do use it. -- Bob

    It responds when you press the "Menu key".

    As I said above, I have just tried the new trial version available.
    If I take your course and specify "Top Menu" only, the VIDEO_TS.VOB
    actually includes references to "Root Menus" which it fails to create.
    Fortunately these references are in orphaned bits of code which cannot
    be reached.

    There is not a simple one step solution to your problem, but there is
    a solution. If you will download and install PgcEdit and drop me an
    e-mail, I will step you thru the procedure to create a "Root Menu" for
    each VTS which does nothing but invoke your "Title Menu". That way
    you won't have to foul up your remote's behavior with commercial DVDs
    and your Menu key will reach the "Main/Top" menu which TDA created.
    OTOH it is a PITA.
    , Jun 16, 2006
  20. Bob

    Buchetamo Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob" <> wrote in message

    >>> The "Main" menu in TDA is the top menu that lets you select
    >>>the from VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in TDA).
    >>>So it could be described as a menu of Titles, or the Title Menu."

    >> Then it should be called the Title Menu and not Main Menu, which
    >> implies the conventional Root Menu. In addition, there should be a
    >> provision for creating a Root Menu for those who want one.
    >>
    >> BTW, TDA does have a separate "Track Menu" which according to you
    >> would be applicable to "VTS/Titles (which are described as tracks in
    >> TDA)". That reinforces the belief that "Main Menu" refers to the
    >> conventional Root Menu and that "Track Menu" refers to the
    >> conventional Title Menu.
    >>
    >> I have never used the TDA "Track Menu" so I have no idea what happens
    >> when you do use it.
    >>
    >> --

    > I could quote the third paragraph of my first reply, where I described
    > the track menu. ( The one which you said you were aware of what I
    > described.) But given this post, I have to think this discussion is a
    > lost
    > cause. Call things whatever you want, have whatever "belief" you wish.
    > TDA will use the terms as they have been, as will the other programs,
    > you can feel that TDA's use is wrong all you want, it won't change reality
    > in the slightest manner.
    >
    > Perhaps if you had actually read, at least the first three paragraphs
    > of my initial four paragraph reply, and given what I said some thought,
    > you could have a better understanding. As it is you seem more
    > concerned about what terms are used than about the processes
    > involved.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Hello Ken,
    Sorry to intrude but I need your help & would appreciate your guidance: I
    have installed in my computer
    TMPGEnc Author 1.6 & I've thinking to upgrade to TMPGEnc Author 2.0 ($59),
    but
    I've been following your "announcement" on the release of TMPGEnc 4.0
    Xpress ($79); perhaps I'm not the only one, but I'm confused: what is the
    difference here? is the upgrade to Author 2.0 a waste of money when for $20
    extra you can get 4.0 Xpress? Thanks in advance...
    Buchetamo
    Buchetamo, Jun 16, 2006