TCP/UDP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by David Jones, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english and if
    possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in response to a
    problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator called Live for Speed.

    Thanks in advance

    Dave

    ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you see the
    button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then refresh the
    list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router not
    passing through UDP packets.

    In networking there are two main types of network packets, called TCP and
    UDP. TCP is a very reliable one, but relatively slow. UDP is a fast one, but
    not 100% reliable. For the list of hosts LFS uses the UDP kind, because with
    TCP it used to take ages before the list would be loaded. UDP is still
    reliable enough that it will be able to connect to 99.9% of all hosts at all
    times.

    However, for some reason routers sometimes have problems with udp packets.
    It could be as simple as a router reboot to fix this, or otherwise you may
    have to go into the admin panel of the router in order to check its
    settings, or maybe revert to default.
    But the variety in routers is so large that I'm afraid I cannot really help
    with that more in depth.""

    David Jones, Sep 7, 2010

  2. David Jones

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/09/2010 16:30, David Jones wrote:
    > Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english and if
    > possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in response to a
    > problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator called Live for Speed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you see the
    > button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then refresh the
    > list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    > If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router not
    > passing through UDP packets.
    >
    > In networking there are two main types of network packets, called TCP and
    > UDP. TCP is a very reliable one, but relatively slow. UDP is a fast one, but
    > not 100% reliable. For the list of hosts LFS uses the UDP kind, because with
    > TCP it used to take ages before the list would be loaded. UDP is still
    > reliable enough that it will be able to connect to 99.9% of all hosts at all
    > times.
    >
    > However, for some reason routers sometimes have problems with udp packets.
    > It could be as simple as a router reboot to fix this, or otherwise you may
    > have to go into the admin panel of the router in order to check its
    > settings, or maybe revert to default.
    > But the variety in routers is so large that I'm afraid I cannot really help
    > with that more in depth.""

    Makes sense to me. Which part are you having trouble with?

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 7, 2010

  3. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    Is there a solution to the problem is what i am asking and if so how would i
    go about reolving it. Thanks

    David Jones, Sep 7, 2010
  4. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > David Jones "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message

    >>> Makes sense to me. Which part are you having trouble with?
    >>>

    >> Is there a solution to the problem is what i am asking and if so how
    >> would i go about reolving it. Thanks

    > First of all, it would make sense to tell us *what* problem you're
    > dealing with. The only thing you come up with is "a problem I am having
    > with on on line racinf simulator called Live for Speed". Please clarify.

    The problem is that i am unable to connect to any hosts ie live racing
    teams, it is searching and goes through a number of hosts, at last attempt
    it was 133, but states unable to join which is something to do with this
    TCP/UDP ????

    David Jones, Sep 7, 2010
  5. David Jones

    chuckcar Guest

    "David Jones" <> wrote in

    > Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english
    > and if possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in
    > response to a problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator
    > called Live for Speed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you
    > see the button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then
    > refresh the list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    > If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router
    > not passing through UDP packets.
    >
    > In networking there are two main types of network packets, called TCP
    > and UDP. TCP is a very reliable one, but relatively slow. UDP is a
    > fast one, but not 100% reliable. For the list of hosts LFS uses the
    > UDP kind, because with TCP it used to take ages before the list would
    > be loaded. UDP is still reliable enough that it will be able to
    > connect to 99.9% of all hosts at all times.
    >
    > However, for some reason routers sometimes have problems with udp
    > packets. It could be as simple as a router reboot to fix this, or
    > otherwise you may have to go into the admin panel of the router in
    > order to check its settings, or maybe revert to default.
    > But the variety in routers is so large that I'm afraid I cannot really
    > help with that more in depth.""

    Ok, so a *completely* different problem than the only post where you
    talk about connection problems.

    1. Do a tracert to the IP address of the server.
    2. Do a telnet to the IP address of the server with the port number you
    would use otherwise.

    3. post the results in a reply

    The above is completely useless to us as it's apparently only part of a
    reply you got and without any of what it was in reply *to*. Either
    remedy that or post the message-id/url of that message please. The
    former if it was on usenet and the latter if it was a web form.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 7, 2010
  6. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    Thanks for the replys guys, probsolved it was my firewall blocking UDPs

    David Jones, Sep 8, 2010
  7. David Jones

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/09/2010 16:40, David Jones wrote:

    > "Desk Rabbit"<> wrote in message
    >> On 07/09/2010 16:30, David Jones wrote:
    >>> Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english and
    >>> if
    >>> possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in response to a
    >>> problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator called Live for
    >>> Speed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Dave
    >>>
    >>> ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you see
    >>> the
    >>> button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then refresh the
    >>> list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    >>> If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router not
    >>> passing through UDP packets.
    >>>
    >>> In networking there are two main types of network packets, called TCP and
    >>> UDP. TCP is a very reliable one, but relatively slow. UDP is a fast one,
    >>> but
    >>> not 100% reliable. For the list of hosts LFS uses the UDP kind, because
    >>> with
    >>> TCP it used to take ages before the list would be loaded. UDP is still
    >>> reliable enough that it will be able to connect to 99.9% of all hosts at
    >>> all
    >>> times.
    >>>
    >>> However, for some reason routers sometimes have problems with udp
    >>> packets.
    >>> It could be as simple as a router reboot to fix this, or otherwise you
    >>> may
    >>> have to go into the admin panel of the router in order to check its
    >>> settings, or maybe revert to default.
    >>> But the variety in routers is so large that I'm afraid I cannot really
    >>> help
    >>> with that more in depth.""
    >>>

    >> Makes sense to me. Which part are you having trouble with?
    >>

    > Is there a solution to the problem is what i am asking and if so how

    would i
    > go about reolving it. Thanks

    1. Stop top posting.
    2. Define your problem.

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 8, 2010
  8. David Jones

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 08/09/2010 00:01, David Jones wrote:

    > "chuckcar"<> wrote in message
    >> "David Jones"<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english
    >>> and if possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in
    >>> response to a problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator
    >>> called Live for Speed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Dave
    >>>
    >>> ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you
    >>> see the button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then
    >>> refresh the list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    >>> If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router
    >>> not passing through UDP packets.
    >>>
    >>> In networking there are two main types of network packets, called TCP
    >>> and UDP. TCP is a very reliable one, but relatively slow. UDP is a
    >>> fast one, but not 100% reliable. For the list of hosts LFS uses the
    >>> UDP kind, because with TCP it used to take ages before the list would
    >>> be loaded. UDP is still reliable enough that it will be able to
    >>> connect to 99.9% of all hosts at all times.
    >>>
    >>> However, for some reason routers sometimes have problems with udp
    >>> packets. It could be as simple as a router reboot to fix this, or
    >>> otherwise you may have to go into the admin panel of the router in
    >>> order to check its settings, or maybe revert to default.
    >>> But the variety in routers is so large that I'm afraid I cannot really
    >>> help with that more in depth.""
    >>>

    >> Ok, so a *completely* different problem than the only post where you
    >> talk about connection problems.
    >>
    >> 1. Do a tracert to the IP address of the server.
    >> 2. Do a telnet to the IP address of the server with the port number you
    >> would use otherwise.
    >>
    >> 3. post the results in a reply
    >>

    >> The above is completely useless to us as it's apparently only part of a
    >> reply you got and without any of what it was in reply *to*. Either
    >> remedy that or post the message-id/url of that message please. The
    >> former if it was on usenet and the latter if it was a web form.
    >>
    >> --
    >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    >>

    > Thanks for the replys guys, probsolved it was my firewall blocking UDPs

    Which is what the document said.

    And you are still top posting!!!!!!!

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 8, 2010
  9. David Jones

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-09-07, David Jones <> wrote:
    > Hi all....Can some kind person make out this message below in english and if
    > possible give me an answer on how I sort it out. It is in response to a
    > problem I am having with on on line racinf simulator called Live for Speed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > ""Please first try this : On that listing screen, at the bottom you see the
    > button with TCP in it. Click that in order to enable it. Then refresh the
    > list of hosts and see if some hosts will appear.
    > If they do, then in all likelyhood your problem is due to your router not
    > passing through UDP packets.

    [...]

    Live for Speed seems to require 'port forwarding' if you run it behind a
    router. Their 'wiki' <http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting> links to
    <http://portforward.com/> for instructions about that for a wide range of
    routers.

    If your router and game both support UPnP (Universal Plug-and-Play), then
    enabling that in both might help.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 8, 2010