    remote subnets. The likely answer is D since that is the lowest level
    of the troubleshooting process. Any input and help is appreciated.

    //j

    j0ser, Sep 8, 2004

  2. I think that A is the better choice. The question asks about the
    installation of the TCP/IP stack. Pinging 127.0.0.1 will verifiy the correct
    installation of the TCP/IP stack.

    Regards,
    Gandalf

    Gandalf, the White, Sep 8, 2004

  3. j0ser

    Guest Guest

    Answer is A.

    Guest, Sep 8, 2004
  4. j0ser

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Gandalf, the White" <> wrote in
    message news:e3UN%...
    > I think that A is the better choice. The question asks about the
    > installation of the TCP/IP stack. Pinging 127.0.0.1 will verifiy the

    correct
    > installation of the TCP/IP stack.

    Pinging anything will confirm the correct installation of TCP/IP, if the
    pinger recieves replies. I'm not sure what the "correct" answer is, but I
    would have gone with D, the OP's choice, for the same reason he did. Ping
    www.google.com, for example, and if replies are returned, then all is well.
    If not, then ping something on your local subnet by name, and if no replies
    are returned, ping by IP. If no replies are returned, ping the gateway. If
    no replies are returned, ping loopback. Of course, if at any time in this
    testing you recieve replies, you can take a good guess as to what the
    problem is.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    first initial last name AT gmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 8, 2004
  5. j0ser

    T-Bone Guest

    "j0ser" <> wrote
    > I chose D since that would not only test the local subnet but also
    > remote subnets. The likely answer is D since that is the lowest level
    > of the troubleshooting process. Any input and help is appreciated.

    D will do what you say it will. However, the lowest level test is actually
    A. Even if TCP/IP is correctly installed, doing B-D could result in a
    failure. I.e, if DHCP isn't working.

    T-Bone
    "You ask so many questions, what answers should I choose?"

    T-Bone, Sep 8, 2004
  6. >Pinging anything will confirm the correct installation of TCP/IP, if the
    >pinger recieves replies. I'm not sure what the "correct" answer is, but I
    >would have gone with D, the OP's choice, for the same reason he did. Ping
    >www.google.com, for example, and if replies are returned, then all is well.
    >If not, then ping something on your local subnet by name, and if no replies
    >are returned, ping by IP. If no replies are returned, ping the gateway. If
    >no replies are returned, ping loopback. Of course, if at any time in this
    >testing you recieve replies, you can take a good guess as to what the
    >problem is.

    all very true, however the question only asked to 'determine if TCP/IP
    is correctly installed' not whether there is a physical connection or
    not.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  7. j0ser

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > >Pinging anything will confirm the correct installation of TCP/IP, if the
    > >pinger recieves replies. I'm not sure what the "correct" answer is, but I
    > >would have gone with D, the OP's choice, for the same reason he did. Ping
    > >www.google.com, for example, and if replies are returned, then all is

    well.
    > >If not, then ping something on your local subnet by name, and if no

    replies
    > >are returned, ping by IP. If no replies are returned, ping the gateway.

    If
    > >no replies are returned, ping loopback. Of course, if at any time in this
    > >testing you recieve replies, you can take a good guess as to what the
    > >problem is.

    > all very true, however the question only asked to 'determine if TCP/IP
    > is correctly installed' not whether there is a physical connection or
    > not.

    Another of Microsoft's sillyisms. When would you ever care if TCP/IP is
    correctly installed, and *not* care about a physical connection? I know that
    was the question, but it's simply not preparing the test taker for what
    they'll see in the real world. Or maybe I'm not in the real world by not
    knowing when I should care about said situation...

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Ken Baggins, we are not discussing about the real world here. We are
    discussing about the MCSE's exams. ;-)

    Regards,
    Gandalf

    Gandalf, the White, Sep 8, 2004
  9. >but it's simply not preparing the test taker for what
    >they'll see in the real world

    when does any ms exam do that, please enlighten me!

    >When would you ever care if TCP/IP is
    >correctly installed, and *not* care about a physical connection?

    Exactly, in the real world..... However questions are questions, and
    these type of questions do not require you to explain or describe your
    answer and reason for given that answer.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  10. j0ser

    kpg Guest

    #
    > Can someone please help with the following question? It is simple but
    > can be a bit confusing.
    >
    > Q: Natasha has just finished installing TCP/IP on a W2K Pro. How
    > should she first try to determine whether or not TCP/IP is correctly
    > installed?
    >
    > A. Ping 127.0.0.1
    > B. Ping the default gateway
    > C. Ping the DNS server on the local subnet
    > D. Ping a remote host
    >
    > I chose D since that would not only test the local subnet but also
    > remote subnets. The likely answer is D since that is the lowest level
    > of the troubleshooting process. Any input and help is appreciated.
    >
    > //j

    The one and only answer is A.

    The whole verify the TCP stack thing.

    --
    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    Certificates? We don't need no steenking Certificates!

    kpg, Sep 8, 2004
  11. >Ken Baggins, we are not discussing about the real world here. We are
    >discussing about the MCSE's exams. ;-)

    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  12. j0ser

    RH Guest

    BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING!!! Divide the problem. If you ping
    127.0.0.1 successfully, that ELIMINATES the local box as
    a possible problem because that ping does, indeed, tell
    you that TCP/IP is correctly installed on that machine
    (which was the original question). If successful there,
    THEN start pinging to the default gateway and from thence
    to the outside world.

    message

    RH, Sep 8, 2004
  13. j0ser

    Dragon Guest

    I would have to disagree. Even in real life, it is possible to have the
    TCP/IP stack installed configured yet not configured.

    A. Ping 127.0.0.1
    *** Correct Answer. If the stack is installed properly, you should always be
    able to ping this.

    B. Ping the default gateway
    *** There may not be a gateway configure or a device at the address. There
    is no way to tell if the stack is not installed correctly or a different
    issue

    C. Ping the DNS server on the local subnet
    Same as B

    D. Ping a remote host
    Same as B

    Just my ยข2

    "Gandalf, the White" <> wrote in
    message news:O9pV$...

    Dragon, Sep 8, 2004
  14. >THEN start pinging to the default gateway and from thence
    >to the outside world

    even from middle earth?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  15. j0ser

    Consultant Guest

    you sir are a hobbit rapist

    "Gandalf, the White" <> wrote in
    message news:O9pV$...

    Consultant, Sep 8, 2004
  16. j0ser

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Gandalf, the White" <> wrote in
    message news:O9pV$...
    > Ken Baggins, we are not discussing about the real world here. We are
    > discussing about the MCSE's exams. ;-)

    Back in middle school/junior high, I had a friend who had a Corgy named
    Bilbo. At the time, I had no idea what LotR was, so "Bilbo" meant nothing to
    me, except it was a word that sounded a lot like "dildo." Not that I'd used
    one in middle school, but I did know what one was, and had no clue about
    LotR. Weird, maybe, but that's how it was.

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 8, 2004
  17. j0ser

    Consultant Guest

    no, only from the shire

    Consultant, Sep 8, 2004
  18. So are you saying that those folk in mirkwood have to configure and
    use either ipx or netbeui?

    >no, only from the shire
    >

    >"The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
    >> >THEN start pinging to the default gateway and from thence
    >> >to the outside world

    >> even from middle earth?
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 8, 2004
  19. Surely not. I am a MS Exam's rapist.

    Regards,
    Gandalf

    Gandalf, the White, Sep 8, 2004
  20. j0ser

    Consultant Guest

    no, they are using private non-routable ip's with no NAT, fully isolated.
    now the orks are using ipv6, but they are far ahead of the game

    Consultant, Sep 8, 2004