TCP/IP not working on one of two computers -> 1 router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Phil, Non-Squid, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Okay so my desktop with a refurb D-Link DWL-G510 all of a sudden won't talk
    to the Linksys WCG200 wireless router we have here. This is the weird
    thing. The WCG200 has always had the problem of random 10-minute interval
    dropouts, but yesterday, the desktop completely bit the dust concerning
    connectivity.

    This is the weird thing. The laptop I'm using has a Ralink 802.11g MiniPCI
    built into it, and it gets its IP/DHCP/Subnet through the Linksys router all
    resolved nice and dandy to something like 66.250.204.x but the desktop keeps
    resorting to the local 192.168.0.15. Aren't wireless routers by default
    supposed to reserve the pool of 192.168 addresses for its internal WLAN and
    use one internet IP for the other side?

    There are up to 5 of us using the internet at the same time, and with no
    real problems except for my desktop. The thing is, the 'connected clients'
    listing in the router setup shows ONLY the WLAN-only desktop, not the
    WAN-connected clients. Why would this be?

    When the connection died, the desktop simply stopped working right all of a
    sudden... I made no network changes of any kind. I've selected DHCP to try
    to manually assign, then revert to automatically select address... both of
    them are no go.

    Why would a router assign one network adapter an internal address and keep
    it on the internal network, while letting everyone else access the outside?
    Is there a TCP/IP setting that could "let it out" like everyone else?

    Phil

    Phil, Non-Squid, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Hi

    Regular consumer Wireless Cable/DSL Router has only one Wan that is
    connected to the modem. In your case, since it is a combo Modem Router the
    WAN is internally and you probably have no access to it at all.

    All the Network computers are on the LAN side (there is No WAN Clients).

    It seems that some thing is not configured correctly in the Router and it is
    affecting your computer. Might be that your internal IP was put on the DMZ
    and it bypasses the Routing.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 12, 2006