    Thanks,
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 13, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    does your laptop have a hardware switch or key combination that
    turns the wireless off and on? what laptop do you have? what version
    of windows?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Not that I'm aware of. I have a Fujitsu.....Windows XP Home Edition Version
    2002, Service Pack 2.
    The network adapter for the TCP/IP configuration is in a Media disconnected
    state.
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what model fujitsu?
    what did you do at your friends house? were any changes made or
    programs installed? did you share files and possibly pick up a
    virus? have you installed any updates? what anti virus and/or
    firewall do you use? what router?

    please post the text output of

    ipconfig /all

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Hi
    The following page describe the process to se and evaluate the viability of
    the Wireless.
    May be this can Help to find the source of the problem.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 14, 2007
  6. I routinely go to my friends and have never had a problem aquiring my
    network automatically when I get home.
    New updates were security updates on 10/11 for WIE7, Windows XP on 10/11 and
    10/13/ and Word 2002 on 10/10.
    --Norton Antivirus (I turned off the firewall trying to get the connection)
    US Robotics.

    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Jack, I saw this in one of your previous postings and have tried it. This is
    how I discovered I had the media disconnected state. Everything else was ok
    up until that point.
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Hi
    That usually means that there is a mismatch between your Wireless source
    (Wireless Router/Access Point) and the configuration of the Wireless Card on
    the computer.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 14, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what security method do you use on the router? you might want to
    reset the router to factory defaults and then reset up security on
    both the router and the laptop. also, sometimes turning off the
    Norton firewall isn't enough, you have to uninstall it or explicitly
    permit the local subnet.

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:20:00 -0700, Brenda
    <> wrote:

    >I routinely go to my friends and have never had a problem aquiring my
    >network automatically when I get home.
    >New updates were security updates on 10/11 for WIE7, Windows XP on 10/11 and
    >10/13/ and Word 2002 on 10/10.
    >--Norton Antivirus (I turned off the firewall trying to get the connection)
    >US Robotics.
    >
    >Brenda
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> what model fujitsu?
    >> what did you do at your friends house? were any changes made or
    >> programs installed? did you share files and possibly pick up a
    >> virus? have you installed any updates? what anti virus and/or
    >> firewall do you use? what router?
    >>
    >> please post the text output of
    >>
    >> ipconfig /all
    >>

    >> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:47:00 -0700, Brenda
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Not that I'm aware of. I have a Fujitsu.....Windows XP Home Edition Version
    >> >2002, Service Pack 2.
    >> >The network adapter for the TCP/IP configuration is in a Media disconnected
    >> >state.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 14, 2007
  10. One more thing I found out. My friends were able to connect to my wireless
    connection, so it must be something with my laptop. I have no "active"
    wireless network in my network listing. Could you please give me step by
    step instructions on how to fix this. I'm not real familar with wireless
    connections. My desktop is wireless and doesn't have a problem with the
    connection.

    Thanks for your help,
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 15, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    One more thought. Can you try a restore point to when things were
    working? You will have to get the Windows Updates again, so if
    things work, download them and do a custom "one at a time" to insure
    that nothing breaks connectivity.

    If that does not help, can you right click my computer, then manage,
    then device manager, then look at the network adaptors and verify
    that the wireless is still there and not disabled?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 15, 2007
  12. I was able to do the restore point (Sept.1st) and I checked the network
    adaptors and verified that the wireless is still there and not disabled.
    Still no wireless connection found.
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 16, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    previously I suggested:

    "what security method do you use on the router? you might want to
    reset the router to factory defaults and then reset up security on
    both the router and the laptop. also, sometimes turning off the
    Norton firewall isn't enough, you have to uninstall it or explicitly
    permit the local subnet."

    have you tried resetting the router and temporarily uninstalling
    Norton?

    Barb Bowman, Oct 16, 2007
  14. Hello Brenda,
    Even I have a similar problem. Could you solve the problem? If so please let
    me know how you did. I am exhausted now with lot of trials.

    Thanks
    J Osprey

    =?Utf-8?B?T3NwcmV5MzQw?=, Oct 19, 2007
  15. Hello Brenda, I have the same problem as well. Please let me know if you
    could solve it and how?
    Thanks a lot

    =?Utf-8?B?T3NwcmV5MzQw?=, Oct 19, 2007
  16. Hello Osprey340,
    My son right clicked on the 1394 connection (The connection that's not a
    network connection) in my Network connections and clicked on Repair. This is
    what worked for me. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me!

    Thanks again,
    Brenda

    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 24, 2007
  17. I forgot to tell you that I then rebooted my laptop.
    Brenda
    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 25, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    1394 is firewire. was this "bridged" to the are network card?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 25, 2007
  19. I not sure if this explains it. I found the info on

    IEEE 1394 on Windows XP
    Windows XP has built-in IEEE 1394 support. To use all the capabilities of
    the IEEE 1394 standard, your computer must have an IEEE 1394 adapter
    installed. If your computer has a FireWire adapter, the adaptor is IEEE 1394
    compatible. Some of the capabilities of a Windows XP-based computer with the
    IEEE 1394 standard are: • Instant network connectivity by plugging two or
    more computers together (no additional hardware or software required).
    • End-to-end throughput of over 50 Mbps with plenty of digital bandwidth
    remaining for demanding audio-visual programs.
    • Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) over IEEE 1394.
    This feature makes it very easy to share a single Internet connection when
    you connect one computer to the Internet and then connect more computers to
    the first computer. The Windows XP built-in Internet Connection Sharing
    feature provides the necessary software support.

    NOTE: Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) and other networking protocols are
    not supported.
    • The ability to use IEEE 1394 drivers for peripheral devices. These drivers
    are provided by the manufacturers of the devices.

    Back to the top

    Notes
    • Windows XP comes with full support with IEEE 1394; you are not required to
    install any software. If you need to install an adapter, simply plug it in to
    an available adapter slot, and Windows XP completes the installation.
    • To install an IEEE 1394 device, your computer must have an IEEE 1394
    adapter. If it does, then you are only required to plug in the device.
    • The IEEE 1394 drivers that you may need are provided by the manufacturer.
    Most IEEE 1394 devices do not need special drivers.

    --
    Brenda

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=, Oct 26, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?QnJlbmRh?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    sounds like you are using firewire for networking.

    Barb Bowman, Oct 26, 2007