    Anyone else?

    Rob
    --
    Shank, Aug 7, 2006

    Jerry, Aug 7, 2006

    Jerry, Aug 7, 2006

    Earl Grey, Aug 7, 2006
  5. Shank

    BTMO Guest

    "Shank" <> wrote

    > I'm in Melrose.
    >
    > Had no access from about 6pm till now.
    >
    > Anyone else?

    Yep - it sure was.

    I was on the phone on hold listening to the music (speaker phones are great
    ideas!) doing something else for about 1/2 an hour.

    I finally got through, the dude said "cable broadband, Wellington?"

    "Yep" says I.

    "Major outage in the Wellington area - it'll be back just after ten."

    It was.

    What the hell couldn't they have just put a recorded message on????
    BTMO, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Shank

    Matty F Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > I was on the phone on hold listening to the music (speaker phones are great
    > ideas!) doing something else for about 1/2 an hour.
    >
    > I finally got through, the dude said "cable broadband, Wellington?"
    >
    > "Yep" says I.
    >
    > "Major outage in the Wellington area - it'll be back just after ten."
    >
    > It was.
    >
    > What the hell couldn't they have just put a recorded message on????

    Of course that is a sensible idea.
    Why don't you do us all a service and phone the highest manager
    that you can find (or email them) and ask the same question?
    The same goes for all ISPs who have not thought of having a
    recorded message.
    Matty F, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Shank

    BTMO Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote

    >> What the hell couldn't they have just put a recorded message on????

    > Of course that is a sensible idea.
    > Why don't you do us all a service and phone the highest manager that you
    > can find (or email them) and ask the same question?

    Because I don't hate them like I hate Telecom...

    ;-)

    > The same goes for all ISPs who have not thought of having a recorded
    > message.

    Normally, they do. We have had outages before, and this is the first time
    they haven't put a message on. Everyone deserves a chance...
    BTMO, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Shank

    peterwn Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > Normally, they do. We have had outages before, and this is the first time
    > they haven't put a message on. Everyone deserves a chance...

    Even with a message you have to navigate through a series of speech
    recognition menus to find it. And you cannot 'jump' by giving an
    answer belonging to a menu further down the tree.
    peterwn, Aug 7, 2006
  9. Shank

    Dave Nelson Guest

    Curiously enough I rang about my connection and happened to cough just as
    the voice menu drone started - next thing I heard was a recorded message
    saying there was an outage in Wellington - go figure!

    Dave Nelson, Aug 7, 2006
  10. "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > BTMO wrote:
    >
    >> Normally, they do. We have had outages before, and this is the first time
    >> they haven't put a message on. Everyone deserves a chance...

    > Even with a message you have to navigate through a series of speech
    > recognition menus to find it. And you cannot 'jump' by giving an
    > answer belonging to a menu further down the tree.

    I have found that when there is an outage and they have put the recorded
    message on, it comes before the speech navigation and several times if you
    wait in line, so there is no need to 'jump' anywhere.

    Calum
    Calum Bennachie, Aug 8, 2006
  11. > I was on the phone on hold listening to the music (speaker phones are great
    > ideas!) doing something else for about 1/2 an hour.

    One technique worth trying to avoid long waits on 'hold' is to push the
    button option to "buy new products and services" - they are quick to
    answer the phone then!
    Admittedly not all sales staff know about faults so occasionally you
    get flicked back, but I have regularly come across call centres were
    all staff do all enquiries - it's just the button you press changes the
    priority of your call.
    Fortitudo Dei, Aug 9, 2006
  12. In article <>,
    "Fortitudo Dei" <> wrote:

    > > I was on the phone on hold listening to the music (speaker phones are great
    > > ideas!) doing something else for about 1/2 an hour.
    > >

    > One technique worth trying to avoid long waits on 'hold' is to push the
    > button option to "buy new products and services" - they are quick to
    > answer the phone then!
    > Admittedly not all sales staff know about faults so occasionally you
    > get flicked back, but I have regularly come across call centres were
    > all staff do all enquiries - it's just the button you press changes the
    > priority of your call.

    TelstraClear have multiple call centres in different cities, organised
    into teams that are trained on particular products. If you try the 'buy
    new products and services' option, then you'll get sent to someone who
    does not have the resources to help you and can't do anything but
    forward you to someone who can---i.e., you will rejoin the original
    queue.
    Michael Newbery, Aug 10, 2006
  13. Shank

    Guest Guest

    Sounds as if we should all blame you for giving it a cold.

    Guest, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Shank

    BTMO Guest

    "Fortitudo Dei" <> wrote

    > One technique worth trying to avoid long waits on 'hold' is to push the
    > button option to "buy new products and services" - they are quick to
    > answer the phone then!

    :)

    Done that before!

    But as I mentioned - this time I genuinely had something else to do in the
    meantime, so it wasn't a big deal...
    BTMO, Aug 10, 2006
  15. In article <44d711ff$>, Shank <Here@home> wrote:

    > I'm in Melrose.
    >
    > Had no access from about 6pm till now.
    >
    > Anyone else?
    >
    > Rob
    > --

    I finally got it going again, but only because they told me that the IP
    address I gave them was the wrong one. Bzzzt - no it wasn't - the
    bastards changed my IP address without telling me!

    OK, so it's fixed now, but the two URLs pointing to that address don't
    work any more.

    I'm pissed off.

    That's a whole day of WoW I've lost, as well.
    Laurie Fleming, Aug 13, 2006
  16. Shank

    Don Stokes Guest

    Laurie Fleming <> wrote:
    >I finally got it going again, but only because they told me that the IP
    >address I gave them was the wrong one. Bzzzt - no it wasn't - the
    >bastards changed my IP address without telling me!

    My business partner got the same treatment, although bizarrely, the old
    IP address continued to work with significant packet loss.

    >I'm pissed off.
    >That's a whole day of WoW I've lost, as well.

    Right, those essential applications ...

    -- don
    Don Stokes, Aug 14, 2006
  17. Shank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Don Stokes wrote:
    > > I'm pissed off.
    > > That's a whole day of WoW I've lost, as well.

    > Right, those essential applications ...

    One man's meat...

    There are times when my on-line gameplay is essential. For me it is a great
    relaxation tool and can be essential to my having an anxiety and stress-free
    state of mind.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 14, 2006
  18. Shank

    Kerry Guest

    In article <44dfdd30$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Don Stokes wrote:
    > > > I'm pissed off.
    > > > That's a whole day of WoW I've lost, as well.

    > > Right, those essential applications ...

    > One man's meat...
    >
    > There are times when my on-line gameplay is essential. For me it is a great
    > relaxation tool and can be essential to my having an anxiety and stress-free
    > state of mind.

    Oh yeah, all that ganking and wiping in Strat dead is really good for
    the composure

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get down and groove, we dance all day in this house!
    Kerry, Aug 14, 2006
  19. Shank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Kerry wrote:
    > In article <44dfdd30$>,

    > > > Right, those essential applications ...

    > > One man's meat...
    > >
    > > There are times when my on-line gameplay is essential. For me it is
    > > a great relaxation tool and can be essential to my having an
    > > anxiety and stress-free state of mind.

    > Oh yeah, all that ganking and wiping in Strat dead is really good for
    > the composure

    Obviously we play totally different games. I can't even make sense of your
    post.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 15, 2006