    message filters and various folders from TB 1.5 to Seamonkey the same
    way. Has anyone tried this? Are the files stored in similar folders for
    each program?
    Tom Allen, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Tom Allen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tom Allen wrote:
    > A week or two ago I asked about moving filters, etc. from one TB account
    > to another. It worked great, and I've since set up the accounts on
    > several machines in a fraction of the time that I had expected.
    >
    > So the other day I was fooling around with Seamonkey, just to see what
    > has changed since Mozz 1.2 or so, and I wondered if I could copy the
    > message filters and various folders from TB 1.5 to Seamonkey the same
    > way. Has anyone tried this? Are the files stored in similar folders for
    > each program?

    I believe it should work to copy the msgFilterRules.dat file from the TB
    profile to the SM profile.

    Profile locations and info: http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Tom Allen

    Tom Allen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Tom Allen wrote:
    >> A week or two ago I asked about moving filters, etc. from one TB
    >> account to another. It worked great, and I've since set up the
    >> accounts on several machines in a fraction of the time that I had
    >> expected.
    >>
    >> So the other day I was fooling around with Seamonkey, just to see what
    >> has changed since Mozz 1.2 or so, and I wondered if I could copy the
    >> message filters and various folders from TB 1.5 to Seamonkey the same
    >> way. Has anyone tried this? Are the files stored in similar folders
    >> for each program?

    > I believe it should work to copy the msgFilterRules.dat file from the TB
    > profile to the SM profile.

    Hey, it worked!

    In fact, I played around a bit more and found that dragging the other
    files and folders allowed me to have the old emails as well. I wasn't
    sure if there might be enough differences between TB and SM to allow
    that to work.
    Tom Allen, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Tom Allen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tom Allen wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Tom Allen wrote:
    >>> A week or two ago I asked about moving filters, etc. from one TB
    >>> account to another. It worked great, and I've since set up the
    >>> accounts on several machines in a fraction of the time that I had
    >>> expected.
    >>>
    >>> So the other day I was fooling around with Seamonkey, just to see
    >>> what has changed since Mozz 1.2 or so, and I wondered if I could copy
    >>> the message filters and various folders from TB 1.5 to Seamonkey the
    >>> same way. Has anyone tried this? Are the files stored in similar
    >>> folders for each program?

    >> I believe it should work to copy the msgFilterRules.dat file from the
    >> TB profile to the SM profile.

    > Hey, it worked!
    >
    > In fact, I played around a bit more and found that dragging the other
    > files and folders allowed me to have the old emails as well. I wasn't
    > sure if there might be enough differences between TB and SM to allow
    > that to work.

    They both use the same basic mbox mail format so there shouldn't be any
    problems with that. In fact, any FILE (at the OS level) should show up
    in either application as a folder. Now, what the app will do to that
    file, depending upon its contents, is anybody's guess.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 22, 2006