    That number remained even after I unclicked that newsgroup.

    What do the two numbers mean?

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Doug Goding Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > 1) I notice that I retain all the messages I have read. Is there a way
    > to delete them from the hard drive?
    > 2) Just after opening FireFox, some newsgroup entries have a huge
    > number of messages indicated. When I click on the newsgroup, however,
    > the number changes to a much lower one (which stays, even after I read
    > the messages). e.g. for alt.fan.mozilla the original number was 8648
    > and the number, after putting my cursor on alt.fan.mosilla, was 46.
    > That number remained even after I unclicked that newsgroup.
    >
    > What do the two numbers mean?
    >
    > dj tuchler

    1. Try changing the setting on Thunderbird's View > Threads > ??? menu.
    2. You may not have downloaded all of the headers after you first
    subscribed to the newsgroup. Try clicking File > Get Next ### News
    Messages.

    Doug Goding, Jul 30, 2005

  3. On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:38:54 -0500, Doug Goding wrote:

    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >> 1) I notice that I retain all the messages I have read. Is there a way
    >> to delete them from the hard drive?

    > 1. Try changing the setting on Thunderbird's View > Threads > ??? menu.

    Thanks for your reply to my questions. My first question had to do with
    the storage of all the message headers I downloaded in some file on my
    hard drive. Eventually, the file will get quite large and may slow things
    down. Is there some way periodically to delete part of the headers
    fileand compress the rest without messing things up?

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:38:54 -0500, Doug Goding wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>> 1) I notice that I retain all the messages I have read. Is there a way
    >>> to delete them from the hard drive?

    >> 1. Try changing the setting on Thunderbird's View > Threads > ??? menu.

    > Thanks for your reply to my questions. My first question had to do with
    > the storage of all the message headers I downloaded in some file on my
    > hard drive. Eventually, the file will get quite large and may slow things
    > down. Is there some way periodically to delete part of the headers
    > fileand compress the rest without messing things up?
    >
    > dj tuchler

    right click an account name for newsgroup server, properties
    Offline and Disk Space>Delete messages more than ## days old

    Jedi Fans, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Jedi Fans wrote:
    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    >>> 1. Try changing the setting on Thunderbird's View > Threads > ??? menu.

    >> Thanks for your reply to my questions. My first question had to do with
    >> the storage of all the message headers I downloaded in some file on my
    >> hard drive. Eventually, the file will get quite large and may slow
    >> things
    >> down. Is there some way periodically to delete part of the headers
    >> fileand compress the rest without messing things up?
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    > right click an account name for newsgroup server, properties
    > Offline and Disk Space>Delete messages more than ## days old

    Thank you for your reply!

    I right clicked the account name and selected "Off line" (there was no
    Offline and Disk Space), and saw only the option to use that server off
    line. I clicked on File->Off line and Disk Space, and it offered me
    only this option: Compact folders when it will save over 100KB. My
    T'bird is version 1.0.5. So, I took that option. I hope compact means
    delete and compact!

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Aug 1, 2005

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >> right click an account name for newsgroup server, properties
    >> Offline and Disk Space>Delete messages more than ## days old

    > Thank you for your reply!
    >
    > I right clicked the account name and selected "Off line" (there was no
    > Offline and Disk Space), and saw only the option to use that server off
    > line. I clicked on File->Off line and Disk Space, and it offered me
    > only this option: Compact folders when it will save over 100KB. My
    > T'bird is version 1.0.5. So, I took that option. I hope compact means
    > delete and compact!
    >
    > dj tuchler

    then the functionality you seek is on the way in Tb 1.5 [im using alpha
    2 on linux]

    Jedi Fans, Aug 1, 2005