    for later transfer (or ...?). What is the Collected Addresses folder for?

    I think this is too complex a way to keep addresses.

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Doug G Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > The Thunderbird (1.06) Address Book has three folders:
    >
    > Personal Address Book
    > addressbook
    > Collected Addresses
    >
    > I think all saved-from-email addresses go into the Personal Address Book,
    > for later transfer (or ...?). What is the Collected Addresses folder for?
    >
    > I think this is too complex a way to keep addresses.
    >
    > dj tuchler

    In old versions of Mozilla and Netscape 6/7, the Collected Addresses
    address book was the default location for saved (collected) outgoing
    addresses.

    In TB 1.0.6 the location can be changed via Tools > Options > Advanced >
    General Settings.

    Doug G, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Moz Champion Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> The Thunderbird (1.06) Address Book has three folders:
    >>
    >> Personal Address Book
    >> addressbook
    >> Collected Addresses
    >>
    >> I think all saved-from-email addresses go into the Personal Address Book,
    >> for later transfer (or ...?). What is the Collected Addresses folder
    >> for?
    >>
    >> I think this is too complex a way to keep addresses.
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    > In old versions of Mozilla and Netscape 6/7, the Collected Addresses
    > address book was the default location for saved (collected) outgoing
    > addresses.
    >
    > In TB 1.0.6 the location can be changed via Tools > Options > Advanced >
    > General Settings.

    If you prefer to use one Address Book, then do so
    transfer any email addresses from the ones you dont want to the one you
    want, then delete them
    You cant delete the Personal Address Book nor the Collected Addresses
    because they are built in, but you dont have to use the Collected
    Addresses anyway.

    You can have several address books, or just the one (just ignore the
    Collected Addresses - which is only used if you set TB to do so)

    Moz Champion, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Doug G Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Thunderbird (1.06) Address Book has three folders:
    >>>
    >>> Personal Address Book
    >>> addressbook
    >>> Collected Addresses
    >>>
    >>> I think all saved-from-email addresses go into the Personal Address Book,
    >>> for later transfer (or ...?). What is the Collected Addresses folder
    >>> for?
    >>>
    >>> I think this is too complex a way to keep addresses.
    >>>
    >>> dj tuchler

    >> In old versions of Mozilla and Netscape 6/7, the Collected Addresses
    >> address book was the default location for saved (collected) outgoing
    >> addresses.
    >>
    >> In TB 1.0.6 the location can be changed via Tools > Options > Advanced >
    >> General Settings.

    > If you prefer to use one Address Book, then do so
    > transfer any email addresses from the ones you dont want to the one you
    > want, then delete them
    > You cant delete the Personal Address Book nor the Collected Addresses
    > because they are built in, but you dont have to use the Collected
    > Addresses anyway.
    >
    > You can have several address books, or just the one (just ignore the
    > Collected Addresses - which is only used if you set TB to do so)

    The Personal Address Book and Collected Addresses address books can be
    renamed via the about:config extension or by editing a profile's
    prefs.js file.

    I changed the names via the prefs.js file.

    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.description", "Personal Address Book"); became
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.description", "Family & Friends");

    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Collected Addresses");
    became
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "PRC");

    TB has to be closed when editing the prefs.js file.

    Doug G, Jul 28, 2005