    marked as junk to the "Junk" folder I created under Local Folders. They
    switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my Inbox. Can someone
    suggest a fix, please?
    Rivermeister, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Rivermeister wrote:
    > I have adjusted the junk mail controls to move messages I have manually
    > marked as junk to the "Junk" folder I created under Local Folders. They
    > switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my Inbox. Can someone
    > suggest a fix, please?

    well, you DID read them, so they are marked read - how else would you
    know they were junk if you didnt read them?

    In any case, use the system as extant. Messages moved by JMC to the Junk
    folder will remain marked as unread, the ones YOU moved there will be
    marked read. This allows you to see at a glance the 'catch ratio' (how
    many spams are caught versus those that are not).

    Personally, I see the system as extant as a bonus. If a message makes it
    to the Junk folder, I can see at a glance WHY it did. If it is unread,
    then JMC picked it up, if its read, then I did! Helps in figuring out
    false positives.

    All messages in the Junk folder, regardless of read/unread status will
    be treated exactly the same in the case of automatic emptying, so there
    is no downside to having both types there.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Oct 24, 2006

  3. Rivermeister

    Rivermeister Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Rivermeister wrote:
    >> I have adjusted the junk mail controls to move messages I have
    >> manually marked as junk to the "Junk" folder I created under Local
    >> Folders. They switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my
    >> Inbox. Can someone suggest a fix, please?

    > well, you DID read them, so they are marked read - how else would you
    > know they were junk if you didnt read them?
    >

    > In any case, use the system as extant. Messages moved by JMC to the Junk
    > folder will remain marked as unread, the ones YOU moved there will be
    > marked read. This allows you to see at a glance the 'catch ratio' (how
    > many spams are caught versus those that are not).
    >
    > Personally, I see the system as extant as a bonus. If a message makes it
    > to the Junk folder, I can see at a glance WHY it did. If it is unread,
    > then JMC picked it up, if its read, then I did! Helps in figuring out
    > false positives.
    >
    > All messages in the Junk folder, regardless of read/unread status will
    > be treated exactly the same in the case of automatic emptying, so there
    > is no downside to having both types there.

    Well, actually I did not open/read them - I recognized them as spam by
    the subject and sender; I then highlighted and clicked the "Junk button"
    in the toolbar. Since one of the options in the Junk Mail Controls I
    have turned on is, "When I manually mark messages as junk - move them to
    the Junk folder" I assumed that would MOVE the message into the junk
    folder I created under local folders. But, as I stated in my original
    question, "They switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my
    Inbox." Why don't they move? Or, better yet, how do I get this
    function to work as designed?
    Rivermeister, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Rivermeister wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Rivermeister wrote:
    >>> I have adjusted the junk mail controls to move messages I have
    >>> manually marked as junk to the "Junk" folder I created under Local
    >>> Folders. They switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my
    >>> Inbox. Can someone suggest a fix, please?

    >> well, you DID read them, so they are marked read - how else would you
    >> know they were junk if you didnt read them?
    >>

    >> In any case, use the system as extant. Messages moved by JMC to the
    >> Junk folder will remain marked as unread, the ones YOU moved there
    >> will be marked read. This allows you to see at a glance the 'catch
    >> ratio' (how many spams are caught versus those that are not).
    >>
    >> Personally, I see the system as extant as a bonus. If a message makes
    >> it to the Junk folder, I can see at a glance WHY it did. If it is
    >> unread, then JMC picked it up, if its read, then I did! Helps in
    >> figuring out false positives.
    >>
    >> All messages in the Junk folder, regardless of read/unread status will
    >> be treated exactly the same in the case of automatic emptying, so
    >> there is no downside to having both types there.

    > Well, actually I did not open/read them - I recognized them as spam by
    > the subject and sender; I then highlighted and clicked the "Junk button"
    > in the toolbar. Since one of the options in the Junk Mail Controls I
    > have turned on is, "When I manually mark messages as junk - move them to
    > the Junk folder" I assumed that would MOVE the message into the junk
    > folder I created under local folders. But, as I stated in my original
    > question, "They switch to "read" status, however, they stay in my
    > Inbox." Why don't they move? Or, better yet, how do I get this
    > function to work as designed?

    When you select the message that is when it is marked read - you COULD
    have read it at that point. This is not splitting hairs, how else would
    you suggest that Thunderbird determine read status?

    But in any case, it isnt working for you.
    Is the 'JUNK' folder you targetted with the manual mark the SAME junk
    folder in use for the ones automatically caught with Junk Mail Controls?
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Oct 25, 2006
  5. Rivermeister

    Rivermeister Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Rivermeister wrote:
    >> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>

    >>> well, you DID read them, so they are marked read - how else would you
    >>> know they were junk if you didnt read them?
    >>>

    >>> In any case, use the system as extant. Messages moved by JMC to the
    >>> Junk folder will remain marked as unread, the ones YOU moved there
    >>> will be marked read. This allows you to see at a glance the 'catch
    >>> ratio' (how many spams are caught versus those that are not).
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I see the system as extant as a bonus. If a message makes
    >>> it to the Junk folder, I can see at a glance WHY it did. If it is
    >>> unread, then JMC picked it up, if its read, then I did! Helps in
    >>> figuring out false positives.
    >>>
    >>> All messages in the Junk folder, regardless of read/unread status
    >>> will be treated exactly the same in the case of automatic emptying,
    >>> so there is no downside to having both types there.

    >> Well, actually I did not open/read them - I recognized them as spam by
    >> the subject and sender; I then highlighted and clicked the "Junk
    >> button" in the toolbar. Since one of the options in the Junk Mail
    >> Controls I have turned on is, "When I manually mark messages as junk -
    >> move them to the Junk folder" I assumed that would MOVE the message
    >> into the junk folder I created under local folders. But, as I stated
    >> in my original question, "They switch to "read" status, however, they
    >> stay in my
    >> Inbox." Why don't they move? Or, better yet, how do I get this
    >> function to work as designed?

    > When you select the message that is when it is marked read - you COULD
    > have read it at that point. This is not splitting hairs, how else would
    > you suggest that Thunderbird determine read status?
    >
    > But in any case, it isnt working for you.
    > Is the 'JUNK' folder you targetted with the manual mark the SAME junk
    > folder in use for the ones automatically caught with Junk Mail Controls?

    Dan - thanks for taking the time to respond to the issue here.
    Yes, the folder is the same one. The JMC is already catching most of
    the spam and I am pleased by its performance, even at this early stage
    of learning (for both it and me). I'm currently waiting for JMC to NOT
    recognize a spam message so I can retry the button again. I'll hop back
    on here if the button fails to MOVE the message again.
    Rivermeister, Oct 25, 2006