    from there, anybody know if it's possible to recoup the US taxes
    applied to my purchase?
    , Jan 22, 2006

  2. wilt Guest

    There is no program 'for VAT refund for tourists'...there is only a
    Sales Tax (which varies from community to community in the percentage
    added to purchase price), and no program for any type of Sales Tax
    refund to tourists.
    wilt, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Gaderian Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm from Canada and planning a trip to NYC. If I buy a camera equipment
    > from there, anybody know if it's possible to recoup the US taxes
    > applied to my purchase?

    No.
    And they collect the federal tax at Cannda Customs unless you've been away
    for over 48 hours.
    Gaderian, Jan 22, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > I'm from Canada and planning a trip to NYC. If I buy a camera
    > equipment from there, anybody know if it's possible to recoup the US
    > taxes applied to my purchase?

    I suspect you can have your purchase shipped to your home and avoid the
    state sales tax. It is not a VAT so it works a little different. It also
    is applied by the individual local authority not the federal.

    There is also the import tax into the US, but I don't believe there is
    anyway to get that back.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jan 23, 2006
  5. Stewy Guest

    In article <_WSAf.1606$>,
    "Gaderian" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > I'm from Canada and planning a trip to NYC. If I buy a camera equipment
    > > from there, anybody know if it's possible to recoup the US taxes
    > > applied to my purchase?

    > No.
    > And they collect the federal tax at Cannda Customs unless you've been away
    > for over 48 hours.

    The UK won't even tell me the customs rate unless I apply in writing,
    giving full details about my import. "Just bring it to the airport and
    we'll tell you where to sign" VAT in the UK makes everything in the UK
    20-25% more expensive than Japan.
    Stewy, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Mike Berger Guest

    NYC shops can avoid collecting sales tax if they ship your
    purchase to Canada... where you may have to pay Canadian
    customs or use taxes.

    Mike Berger, Jan 25, 2006