Tastes great, less filling

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Don Hills, May 14, 2006.

  1. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    There's a radio advert that's been running for a while, extolling the
    advantages of email marketing over conventional junk mail and offering a
    tool to make spamming - er, email marketing - easy. The company is Yourbiz,
    and the product URL is http://www.yourbiz.co.nz/default.asp?sectionID=1179

    From the look of the (PDF) brochure, it appears to be a server based mass
    mailing tool. It allows up to 5000 emails per month and tracks responses,
    clickthroughs and unsubscribes.

    Has anyone identified any mass mailing that has come through this system?
    Does it identify the sender or is it managed through Yourbiz's servers?
    When used to send unsolicited commercial emails, does it fit the accepted
    definition of a spam haus?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, May 14, 2006

  2. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Don Hills exclaimed:
    > There's a radio advert that's been running for a while, extolling the
    > advantages of email marketing over conventional junk mail and offering a
    > tool to make spamming - er, email marketing - easy. The company is Yourbiz,
    > and the product URL is

    Looks kind of spammy, as it doesn't mention any good guidelines, just
    the "endless possibilities".
    The PDF doesn't mention if individual additions to the list are
    confirmed.

    The site stopped working while I was looking though, eventually showing
    an error:

    Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

    Script timed out

    /templates/breadcrumb.asp

    The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can
    change this limit by specifying a new value for the property
    Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration
    tools.

    I'm not comfortable about it...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, May 14, 2006

  3. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Aaron Lawrence exclaimed:
    > I'm not comfortable about it...

    Hm, it's run by people from radionetwork.co.nz.
    A pleasant email asking if they implement confirmed opt-in on their
    email tool seems to be in order...

    "We may also disclose information about you to any of our business
    partners that provide Products, Services and information through the
    Website for the promotion and marketing of those business partners'
    Products Services and Information."

    I think it's fairly legit, but with the typical marketing naivete about
    possible abuses.

    Aaron Lawrence, May 14, 2006
  4. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Aaron Lawrence <> wrote:

    >I think it's fairly legit, but with the typical marketing naivete about
    >possible abuses.

    The warnings are there but cleverly worded so as not to scare away potential
    users of the service. Did you read the lawyer's piece on the proposed
    anti-spam legislation?

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, May 14, 2006
  5. Don Hills

    thingy Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > There's a radio advert that's been running for a while, extolling the
    > advantages of email marketing over conventional junk mail and offering a
    > tool to make spamming - er, email marketing - easy. The company is Yourbiz,
    > and the product URL is http://www.yourbiz.co.nz/default.asp?sectionID=1179
    >
    > From the look of the (PDF) brochure, it appears to be a server based mass
    > mailing tool. It allows up to 5000 emails per month and tracks responses,
    > clickthroughs and unsubscribes.
    >
    > Has anyone identified any mass mailing that has come through this system?
    > Does it identify the sender or is it managed through Yourbiz's servers?
    > When used to send unsolicited commercial emails, does it fit the accepted
    > definition of a spam haus?

    The way I read it is, you buy the dodgy software thinking it will help
    you. Then you find that what it actually does is it gives yourbiz's
    partners your email address and detals to constantly spam you with their
    products to "help you get ahead"

    great offer....yeah right.....

    regards

    Thing