  1. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?
    Mainlander, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Mainlander

    Scott Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    I sent them an enqiry a while back about a product they were selling. Never
    got a reply. Obviously didn't want my money so I spent it elsewhere.
    Scott, Aug 6, 2003

  3. On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    What is wrong with Dragon PC..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  4. On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:19:56 +1200, "Scott" <> wrote:

    >"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    >> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    >I sent them an enqiry a while back about a product they were selling. Never
    >got a reply. Obviously didn't want my money so I spent it elsewhere.

    Same here, try Dragon PC..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  5. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:49:33 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    > What is wrong with Dragon PC..

    Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
    answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in their
    living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal with one of
    the 10 people ahead of you...

    And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC, plus
    they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
    exploding CD's so far this year.

    Richard Grevers, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, newsreply4
    @dramatic.co.nz.invalid says...
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:49:33 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    > > What is wrong with Dragon PC..
    > >

    > Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
    > answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in their
    > living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal with one of
    > the 10 people ahead of you...
    >
    > And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC, plus
    > they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
    > exploding CD's so far this year.

    Exploding CDs can be caused by cracks in the hub ring, is that ruled out?
    Mainlander, Aug 6, 2003
  7. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <U0ZXa.107053$>,
    says...

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    > Got some kit from them awhile ago and was pleased with the service and
    > delivery. Emailed me that there was a delay of a week with sourcing some
    > bits but it all arrived 3 days later. Well packaged etc etc. I changed my
    > mind and order a couple of times and they resent new quotes promptly. I
    > believe it is a one man operation ( Grant ?) and may well have fallen into
    > the same problems pp.co.nz had awhile back with being swamped with orders
    > but you would expect a reply to email though.

    I emailed them about purchasing a memory stick, they replied promptly to
    the original enquiry on Monday but haven't replied since to follow up (ie
    where is your shop, do you have to order it in? must be too small an
    order :)
    Mainlander, Aug 6, 2003
  8. Mainlander

    Max Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:30:40 +1200, Richard Grevers
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:20:26 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, newsreply4
    >> @dramatic.co.nz.invalid says...

    >>> Lets see, they don't reply to emails (I wanted to spend $1200), don't
    >>> answer the phone or reply to answerphone messages, and you can sit in
    >>> their living, er, waiting room for 25 minutes and watch them not deal
    >>> with one of the 10 people ahead of you...
    >>>
    >>> And a friend just spent 3 weeks waiting for Tastech to repair her PC,
    >>> plus they gave no support on the three CD-ROM drives that have suffered
    >>> exploding CD's so far this year.

    >> Exploding CDs can be caused by cracks in the hub ring, is that ruled out?
    >>

    >I think that each time both the CD manufacturer and drive manufacturer
    >denied any responsibility and blamed the other. In one case the CD was the
    >WindowsXP install CD, which ought to be on a reasonable quality substrate.
    >The advice I've heard is "don't install a drive faster than 32x - all the
    >faster drives are subject to explosion because they stress the media too
    >much" - and after all, how many people actually NEED that sort of data
    >transfer speed? The trouble is, of course that slower drives have gone out
    >of production.

    Maybe use a DVD drive or DVD writer, although I don't know what speed
    they are up to these days.
    Max, Aug 6, 2003
  9. Mainlander

    Paul Wilkins Guest

    Max wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:30:40 +1200, Richard Grevers
    > <> wrote:
    >> I think that each time both the CD manufacturer and drive
    >> manufacturer denied any responsibility and blamed the other. In one
    >> case the CD was the WindowsXP install CD, which ought to be on a
    >> reasonable quality substrate. The advice I've heard is "don't
    >> install a drive faster than 32x - all the faster drives are subject
    >> to explosion because they stress the media too much" - and after
    >> all, how many people actually NEED that sort of data transfer speed?
    >> The trouble is, of course that slower drives have gone out of
    >> production.

    > Maybe use a DVD drive or DVD writer, although I don't know what speed
    > they are up to these days.

    Or you could just use some of that free software that's out there to
    slow down the spin speed of the drives . . .

    --
    Paul Wilkins
    Paul Wilkins, Aug 6, 2003
  10. Mainlander

    rubber Guest

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:38:39 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    I purchased a motherboard, ram, CPU & SCSI card off him about 14
    months ago when my own system packed up. I called Friday morning, he
    said would call back on availability of Scsi card. Called me on my
    cell phone as I was getting into my car a couple minutes later saying
    he could get it. The gear arrived Monday morning in Whangarei.
    Naturally I was very happy and saved $500 ($1300 vs $1800) instead of
    buying locally. This after calling in at one local shop and asking a
    quote. They called back 2 weeks later when the sales guy got back from
    holiday! Way too slack!

    Rubber
    rubber, Aug 6, 2003
  11. Mainlander

    k y l e Guest

    > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    I'm please to say that I have had several dealings with Grant of TasTech and
    have always had nothing less than brilliant service from TasTech. I have
    bought:

    ~an 800mhz Duron "Upgrade Box" back in 2000 with case, m/b, 128 ram
    etc...was great value
    ~24x Aopen Cd Writer - was the best price in NZ and still going strong,
    reliable to the hilt.
    ~3 sticks in total of 128mb ram while they were at $35 bucks - great value.
    ~2 x 1.3ghz Duron "Internet Upgrade Boxes" on behalf of various family
    members. More great value and cheap reliable courier charge too for such a
    large item.
    ~1 Pioneer Slot Load 16x DVD drive last year, was a top-rated drive and the
    best price in the country. More great buying, superbly packaged and
    transaction delivered with ease. Prior to buying, Grant also gave me links
    to relevant reviews to assist in my purchasing decision.
    ~1x 20gb Hard Drive on behalf of a family member and a new floppy drive,
    cheap prices again. Always satisfied.

    My dealings with Tas Tech has always been satisfactory. There was one
    occasion where I wrote an email asking for CPU upgrade advice, and there was
    no response - but that was because there was no obvious intention to buy,
    and maybe he was busy. There was a previous occasion however where I asked
    if my old motherboard could handle an Athlon processor and he correctly
    pointed out "yes, with the correct PCB revision number and a bios
    upgrade"...which was important for my future plans. Overall, I would highly
    recommend TasTech.
    k y l e, Aug 6, 2003
  12. Mainlander

    hilliejere Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    My friend bought and paid for a 128mb Video card. Without so much as an
    email, they sent him the 64mb version. when he contacted them, they
    said it wasn't their problem, as their advertisement had been in error -
    he was stuck with the 64mb.

    Aside from issues of legality, this is not the sort of vendor id
    personally give money to...
    hilliejere, Aug 7, 2003
  13. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    > My friend bought and paid for a 128mb Video card. Without so much as an
    > email, they sent him the 64mb version. when he contacted them, they
    > said it wasn't their problem, as their advertisement had been in error -
    > he was stuck with the 64mb.
    >
    > Aside from issues of legality, this is not the sort of vendor id
    > personally give money to...

    well, they still haven't replied to my email (sent Monday, with a repost
    Tuesday)
    Mainlander, Aug 7, 2003
  14. Mainlander

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:37:01 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Mainlander wrote:
    >> > Anyone had dealings with them? What do you think of their service?

    >> My friend bought and paid for a 128mb Video card. Without so much as an
    >> email, they sent him the 64mb version. when he contacted them, they
    >> said it wasn't their problem, as their advertisement had been in error -
    >> he was stuck with the 64mb.
    >>
    >> Aside from issues of legality, this is not the sort of vendor id
    >> personally give money to...

    >well, they still haven't replied to my email (sent Monday, with a repost
    >Tuesday)

    I'll answer. He doesn't have a shop, it's done from home. Most stuff
    he has to order in, but some items he carries in stock.

    I only know this because i've purchased off him many times.
    Personally, having meet Grant, I do feel he could improve on his
    communication skills. But at the end of the day for me his prices are
    good and the wait is acceptable.

    I'd go back anyday.
    Craig Shore, Aug 7, 2003
  15. Mainlander

    Paul Wilkins Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > I'll answer. He doesn't have a shop, it's done from home. Most stuff
    > he has to order in, but some items he carries in stock.
    >
    > I only know this because i've purchased off him many times.
    > Personally, having meet Grant, I do feel he could improve on his
    > communication skills. But at the end of the day for me his prices are
    > good and the wait is acceptable.
    >
    > I'd go back anyday.

    Any day except for same day, that is, I presume.

    --
    Paul Wilkins
    Paul Wilkins, Aug 7, 2003
  16. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:37:01 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> My friend bought and paid for a 128mb Video card. Without so much as an
    > >> email, they sent him the 64mb version. when he contacted them, they
    > >> said it wasn't their problem, as their advertisement had been in error -
    > >> he was stuck with the 64mb.
    > >>
    > >> Aside from issues of legality, this is not the sort of vendor id
    > >> personally give money to...

    > >well, they still haven't replied to my email (sent Monday, with a repost
    > >Tuesday)

    > I'll answer. He doesn't have a shop, it's done from home. Most stuff
    > he has to order in, but some items he carries in stock.
    >
    > I only know this because i've purchased off him many times.
    > Personally, having meet Grant, I do feel he could improve on his
    > communication skills. But at the end of the day for me his prices are
    > good and the wait is acceptable.

    I found Ascent in Wellington who offer good pricing and deliver the stuff
    in a couple of days. I'm prepared to pay them a few more dollars for
    their prompt replies and top notch service (so far). In this case the
    price of the item was about $8 more on a $125 item.
    Mainlander, Aug 9, 2003
  17. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <k8c%a.11728$>,
    says...

    > As for Tastech - well his prices are certainly very good, but I think he has
    > far too much work on to be able to give good customer service. To be without
    > a 2 month old computer for 3 weeks in total (I use it for business), I found
    > to be totally unacceptable. I had to take it to him 3 times all up. I'd been
    > getting blue screen errors and sometimes couldn't access the hard drive,
    > then on turning it off & on again there was no power at all. Grant suspected
    > a faulty power supply but the first time he turned it on it worked so he
    > said there was nothing wrong with it. Brought it home, same problems
    > accessing the hard drive, errors etc. Took it back he (eventually) replaced
    > the hard drive - but left it to me to reinstall XP, never tested it. I
    > couldn't even get that far before it crapped out again. Third time lucky -
    > he replaced the power supply as he was going to in the first place (a 10
    > minute job?), hard drive was OK. This time he reinstalled XP and ran a few
    > diagnostic tests. It has been fine since (2 months).
    >
    > So, if you want very cheap prices & aren't too concerned about after sales
    > service - give him a go, but if service is important to you, my advice would
    > be to leave him alone. As someone else mentioned, his communication skills
    > could certainly be better too.

    After the first enquiry I never received any further replies. I purchased
    the same item from Ascent in Wellington for $8 more and had it delivered
    later the same week by courier. It's now two weeks since I made the
    original enquiry and still no messages have come from Tastech.

    Ascent have good competitive pricing if you don't mind paying a few
    dollars more for better service - all my enquiries were answered promptly
    and the order went out the same day and was delivered the next day in a
    different island.
    Mainlander, Aug 16, 2003
  18. Mainlander

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:20:21 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <k8c%a.11728$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> As for Tastech - well his prices are certainly very good, but I think he has
    >> far too much work on to be able to give good customer service. To be without
    >> a 2 month old computer for 3 weeks in total (I use it for business), I found
    >> to be totally unacceptable. I had to take it to him 3 times all up. I'd been
    >> getting blue screen errors and sometimes couldn't access the hard drive,
    >> then on turning it off & on again there was no power at all. Grant suspected
    >> a faulty power supply but the first time he turned it on it worked so he
    >> said there was nothing wrong with it. Brought it home, same problems
    >> accessing the hard drive, errors etc. Took it back he (eventually) replaced
    >> the hard drive - but left it to me to reinstall XP, never tested it. I
    >> couldn't even get that far before it crapped out again. Third time lucky -
    >> he replaced the power supply as he was going to in the first place (a 10
    >> minute job?), hard drive was OK. This time he reinstalled XP and ran a few
    >> diagnostic tests. It has been fine since (2 months).
    >>
    >> So, if you want very cheap prices & aren't too concerned about after sales
    >> service - give him a go, but if service is important to you, my advice would
    >> be to leave him alone. As someone else mentioned, his communication skills
    >> could certainly be better too.

    >After the first enquiry I never received any further replies.

    Nothing has been updated on the WWW site since the 22nd of July
    either. Wonder what has happened.
    Craig Shore, Aug 18, 2003
  19. Mainlander

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:00:49 GMT, (Craig
    Shore) wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:20:21 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <k8c%a.11728$>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> As for Tastech - well his prices are certainly very good, but I think he has
    >>> far too much work on to be able to give good customer service. To be without
    >>> a 2 month old computer for 3 weeks in total (I use it for business), I found
    >>> to be totally unacceptable. I had to take it to him 3 times all up. I'd been
    >>> getting blue screen errors and sometimes couldn't access the hard drive,
    >>> then on turning it off & on again there was no power at all. Grant suspected
    >>> a faulty power supply but the first time he turned it on it worked so he
    >>> said there was nothing wrong with it. Brought it home, same problems
    >>> accessing the hard drive, errors etc. Took it back he (eventually) replaced
    >>> the hard drive - but left it to me to reinstall XP, never tested it. I
    >>> couldn't even get that far before it crapped out again. Third time lucky -
    >>> he replaced the power supply as he was going to in the first place (a 10
    >>> minute job?), hard drive was OK. This time he reinstalled XP and ran a few
    >>> diagnostic tests. It has been fine since (2 months).
    >>>
    >>> So, if you want very cheap prices & aren't too concerned about after sales
    >>> service - give him a go, but if service is important to you, my advice would
    >>> be to leave him alone. As someone else mentioned, his communication skills
    >>> could certainly be better too.

    >>After the first enquiry I never received any further replies.

    >Nothing has been updated on the WWW site since the 22nd of July
    >either. Wonder what has happened.

    Someone I know got an email reply in just over an hour today.
    Craig Shore, Aug 19, 2003