    and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing down of
    pc?
    Thanks

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010

  2. John Smith <> wrote:

    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows taskmaster/processes and, when pc at rest and
    > not being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there
    > are some duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplorer.exe.
    > Why is this/ How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing
    > down of pc?
    > Thanks

    Taskmaster?
    You mean TaskManager, right?
    iexplorer.exe?
    You mean either explorer.exe or iexplore.exe.

    Anyway, your machine is, most likely, infested with malware or other
    nastys. Wait for "Dan C." to stop by. He has an excellent solution.

    HTH

    --
    No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion
    of him than he deserves; Ed Howe

    Kostyusha Vinnichenko, Jul 31, 2010

  3. John Smith

    Clot Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows taskmaster/processes and, when pc at rest and
    > not being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there
    > are some duplications and loads of entries (24) showing
    > iexplorer.exe. Why is this/ How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing
    > down of pc?
    > Thanks

    I've just looked at my Task Manager which had 3 copies of IE open. I closed
    those and they disappeared from Task manager. Do you have 24 open?

    Clot, Jul 31, 2010
  4. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Kostyusha Vinnichenko" wrote in message

    John Smith <> wrote:

    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows taskmaster/processes and, when pc at rest and
    > not being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there
    > are some duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplorer.exe.
    > Why is this/ How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing
    > down of pc?
    > Thanks

    Taskmaster?
    You mean TaskManager, right?
    iexplorer.exe?
    You mean either explorer.exe or iexplore.exe.

    Anyway, your machine is, most likely, infested with malware or other
    nastys. Wait for "Dan C." to stop by. He has an excellent solution.

    ---------------------
    oops...
    u r correct Task Manager
    and yes iexplore.exe

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010
  5. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Clot" wrote in message news:HIY4o.11650$pj7.5843@hurricane...

    John Smith wrote:
    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows taskmaster/processes and, when pc at rest and
    > not being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there
    > are some duplications and loads of entries (24) showing
    > iexplorer.exe. Why is this/ How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing
    > down of pc?
    > Thanks

    I've just looked at my Task Manager which had 3 copies of IE open. I closed
    those and they disappeared from Task manager. Do you have 24 open?

    -------------------
    That's the point I have no copies of IE open

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    what additional information is required?

    "Grinder" wrote in message

    John,

    If you're sincerely hoping for someone to answer your questions, you're
    going to have to form them in a clear and coherent way.

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010
  7. John Smith

    Mike Yetto Guest

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    <snip of co-mingled posts>

    If you want your replies to be understood easily (rather than
    easily dismissed) you should learn how to properly quote the
    article to which you are responding.

    Mike "other than that... what did *you* post?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 31, 2010
  8. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    ----------------------
    "Mike Yetto" wrote in message

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    <snip of co-mingled posts>

    If you want your replies to be understood easily (rather than
    easily dismissed) you should learn how to properly quote the
    article to which you are responding.

    Mike "other than that... what did *you* post?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Yes we do have a prob ref that..we are using a beta of Windows Live
    Mail...seems its a known bug.

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010
  9. John Smith

    Mike Yetto Guest

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.

    > John Smith wrote:
    >> Pc seems to be slowing down.
    >> Just looked at windows taskmaster/processes and, when pc at rest and
    >> not being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there
    >> are some duplications and loads of entries (24) showing
    >> iexplorer.exe. Why is this/ How do they get there?...
    >> and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing
    >> down of pc?
    >> Thanks

    > I've just looked at my Task Manager which had 3 copies of IE open. I closed
    > those and they disappeared from Task manager. Do you have 24 open?
    >
    > -------------------
    > That's the point I have no copies of IE open
    > ----------------------
    > "Mike Yetto" wrote in message
    >
    > John Smith <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > <snip of co-mingled posts>
    >
    > If you want your replies to be understood easily (rather than
    > easily dismissed) you should learn how to properly quote the
    > article to which you are responding.
    >
    > Mike "other than that... what did *you* post?" Yetto

    Your post is a complete mash-up of my last reply to you and
    text from a separate post. How is anyone supposed to make sense
    of this?

    Mike "tell me, are you worth paying attention to?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 31, 2010
  10. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    Your newsreader and your conversation are misconfigured.

    I don't have a copy of WLM windowslivemail to look at, but I have a
    Windows Mail WM which is probably pretty similar. Your plaintext
    settings need to be adjusted.

    The best way to have a news conversation is to properly attribute,
    quote, trim and contextualize.

    Your newsreader can properly attribute and quote for you if you
    configure it properly; you will need to do your own trim and context.

    Here's where you set up the quoting in WM:
    Tools menu/ Options item/ Send tab/ News sending format/ Plaintext is
    already checked - click Plain Text Settings button in that section - at
    the bottom of that configuration window check 'Indent the original text
    with > when replying or forwarding.

    The trim and context process is done by your editing or deleting most of
    what you are citing and then placing your remarks right under the line
    which you have retained.

    Here a conversation illustrated and explained:

    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml # Q1: What is "quoting" in
    newsgroup postings? # Q2: How should I use the quoted text and arrange
    it with my own text? # Q3: Why shouldn't I quote the entire posting that
    I'm responding to?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2010
  11. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    >Your newsreader can properly attribute and quote for you if you
    >configure it properly; you will need to do your own trim and context.

    >Here's where you set up the quoting in WM:
    >Tools menu/ Options item/ Send tab/ News sending format/ Plaintext is
    >already checked - click Plain Text Settings button in that section - at the
    >bottom of that configuration window check 'Indent the original text with >
    >when replying or forwarding.

    Thanks for that but as I said there is a known bug,. so, although my
    settings
    are all as above it doesn't do the business (so I manually indented the
    above hoping that is ok)

    but getting back to my question...:-

    Pc seems to be slowing down.
    Just looked at windows task manager/processes and, when pc at rest and not
    being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there are some
    duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplore.exe. Why is this?
    How do they get there?...

    John Smith, Jul 31, 2010
  12. John Smith wrote:

    > but getting back to my question...:-
    >
    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows task manager/processes and, when pc at rest and not
    > being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there are some
    > duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplore.exe. Why is this?
    > How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing down of
    > pc?
    > Thanks

    Yes. You can turn off un-necessary processes. Google "black vipers start
    up set" and you can see how to do this.

    Pajalesta.

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 31, 2010
  13. John Smith

    Mike Yetto Guest

    John Smith <> writes and having writ moves
    on.

    >>Your newsreader can properly attribute and quote for you if you
    >>configure it properly; you will need to do your own trim and
    >>context.

    >>Here's where you set up the quoting in WM: Tools menu/ Options
    >>item/ Send tab/ News sending format/ Plaintext is already
    >>checked - click Plain Text Settings button in that section - at
    >>the bottom of that configuration window check 'Indent the
    >>original text with > when replying or forwarding.

    > Thanks for that but as I said there is a known bug,. so,
    > although my settings are all as above it doesn't do the
    > business (so I manually indented the above hoping that is ok)
    >
    > but getting back to my question...:-
    >
    > Pc seems to be slowing down. Just looked at windows task
    > manager/processes and, when pc at rest and not being used,
    > shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there are some
    > duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplore.exe.
    > Why is this? How do they get there?... and could I delete
    > all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing down of pc?
    > Thanks

    You don't seem to be able to use this particular communication
    medium. The text above was not properly attributed.

    After you have checked your system for malware (spyware, viruses,
    adware, microsoft OS...) you might want to find a newsreader you
    can handle.

    Then read these (at least the ones that are still there, this is
    an old list).

    http://twovoyagers.com/blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/news/idiot.html
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/
    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq_topp.html
    http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html#1.2
    http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
    http://www.i-hate-computers.demon.co.uk/
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm
    http://www.plig.net/nnq/nnqlinks.html
    http://www.star-one.org.uk/computer/format.htm
    http://www.tgos.org/newbie/
    http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s3
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm

    Mike "take all the clues you want, we'll make more" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 31, 2010
  14. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    < my cite >

    >> Your newsreader can properly attribute and quote for you if you
    >> configure it properly; you will need to do your own trim and context.

    >> Here's where you set up the quoting in WM:

    > Thanks for that but as I said there is a known bug,. so, although my
    > settings are all as above it doesn't do the business (so I manually
    > indented the above hoping that is ok)

    That helps, but you should be able to fix that problem -- one strategy
    might be to R&R - remove and replace - your WLM by uninstalling and
    reinstalling it.

    > Pc seems to be slowing down.
    > Just looked at windows task manager/processes and, when pc at rest and not
    > being used, shows its using 70% of physical memory and note there are some
    > duplications and loads of entries (24) showing iexplore.exe. Why is this?
    > How do they get there?...
    > and could I delete all/some? Would this be contributing to slowing down of
    > pc?

    The most common problem for 'slowing down' of the computer is because of
    infestation with malware.

    Since you don't know what malware that is or how to find it, the
    investigation requires a vigorous and orderly approach.

    You won't be able to adequately diagnose the problem with the task manager.

    That vigorous and orderly strategy is generally best done in a specific
    forum with vetted helpers rather than catch-as-catch-can in a usenet group.

    There are many such specific forums. The one which I've been
    recommending lately is this one. http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
    because it has an orderly strategy and well-vetted helpers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2010
  15. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    >The most common problem for 'slowing down' of the computer is because of
    >infestation with malware.

    ok, tvm for that...
    however, putting aside possible malware etc do you have an observation as to
    why I now have almost 30 showings of iexplore.exe showing in Task
    Manager/Processes ?

    John Smith, Aug 1, 2010
  16. John Smith

    Mat Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 09:48:40 +0100, John Smith wrote:

    >>The most common problem for 'slowing down' of the computer is because of
    > >infestation with malware.

    > ok, tvm for that...
    > however, putting aside possible malware etc do you have an observation as to
    > why I now have almost 30 showings of iexplore.exe showing in Task
    > Manager/Processes ?

    Each time you open a tab a new instance starts up, sometime IE doesnt
    clean them all up and sometimes you can have a runaway IE process. Check
    the cpu usage for each one. At 70% memory usage you may be experiencing
    significant swapping. How much memory do you have? Try Chrome, it's much
    more stable than IE. And if you are using XP forget stability with IE.

    Mat, Aug 1, 2010
  17. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Mat" wrote in message news:p...

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 09:48:40 +0100, John Smith wrote:

    >>The most common problem for 'slowing down' of the computer is because of
    > >infestation with malware.

    > ok, tvm for that...
    > however, putting aside possible malware etc do you have an observation as
    > why I now have almost 30 showings of iexplore.exe showing in Task
    > Manager/Processes ?

    >Each time you open a tab a new instance starts up, sometime IE doesnt
    >clean them all up and sometimes you can have a runaway IE process. Check
    >the cpu usage for each one. At 70% memory usage you may be experiencing
    >significant swapping. How much memory do you have? Try Chrome, it's much
    >more stable than IE. And if you are using XP forget stability with IE.

    cpu use for each varies between 2,800k and 66,000k.
    I have 4gb memory
    IE was ok until recently..now when eg close a copy of IE it takes a few secs
    before it'll close..up to 10 secs?

    John Smith, Aug 1, 2010
  18. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    ..>>Each time you open a tab a new instance starts up, sometime IE doesnt
    >>clean them all up and sometimes you can have a runaway IE process. Check
    >>the cpu usage for each one. At 70% memory usage you may be experiencing
    >>significant swapping. How much memory do you have? Try Chrome, it's much
    >>more stable than IE. And if you are using XP forget stability with IE.

    >.cpu use for each varies between 2,800k and 66,000k.
    >I have 4gb memory
    >IE was ok until recently..now when eg close a copy of IE it takes a few
    >secs before it'll close..up to 10 secs?

    meant to say no its not XP its W7
    Any advice how to get rid of all the nearly 30 showings of iexplore.exe
    How many do you have showing on your system?...how many should there be?
    Thanks

    John Smith, Aug 1, 2010
  19. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > meant to say no its not XP its W7
    > Any advice how to get rid of all the nearly 30 showings of iexplore.exe
    > How many do you have showing on your system?...how many should there be?

    Why do you want to imagine that some mysterious process/magic is opening
    so many iterations of IE if that mystery isn't malware?

    How do you expect to find the cause and solution without looking for
    malware?

    What are your antimalware defenses?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2010
  20. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message news:...

    John Smith wrote:

    >> meant to say no its not XP its W7
    >> Any advice how to get rid of all the nearly 30 showings of iexplore.exe
    >> How many do you have showing on your system?...how many should there be?

    >Why do you want to imagine that some mysterious process/magic is opening so
    >many iterations of IE if that mystery isn't malware?

    How many iexplore.exe's should I have showing when IE is not in use?...zero
    presumably?
    How many when one IE is open?...1 ?
    How many do you have showing on your system (that's if you use IE?)?
    And in your opinion that is what the problem is - I have malware?
    ...could it be anything else?

    John Smith, Aug 1, 2010