    reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    Thanks
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 10, 2005

  2. r_mervart

    JANA Guest

    Your computer has corrupted files in its system. You may be best off to
    re-install the operating system from the base, and re-install your
    softwares.

    The other alternative, is if you can find someone with a very good
    knowledge in IT support, he may be able to service your system. This
    however, may not be cost effective in your case.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
    website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full

    JANA, Jul 10, 2005

  3. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
    > website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    > program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    > However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    > particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    > Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    > otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    > reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    Nope. Just reboot. Or stop going to those web sites...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2005
  4. r_mervart

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:31 GMT, "r_mervart" <> wrote:

    >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
    >website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    >program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    >However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    >particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    >Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    >otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    >reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    >Thanks
    >Roman

    See if this works:

    Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and click "OK"
    Work your way to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess

    Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"

    This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take your systray with it.

    Unk, Jul 10, 2005
  5. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    <> wrote:

    > >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

    some
    > >website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    > >program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    > >However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    > >particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    > >Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    > >otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    > >reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    > >Thanks
    > >Roman
    > >

    > See if this works:
    >
    > Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and

    click "OK"
    > Work your way to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browse
    NewProcess

    > Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    >
    > This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take

    your systray with it.

    I have checked that value and it is already set to "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    (When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
    unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)

    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 10, 2005
  6. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access some
    > website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    > program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    > However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    > particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    > Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    > otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    > reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    > Thanks
    > Roman

    Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are missing
    after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2005
  7. r_mervart

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:14:46 GMT, "r_mervart" <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:31 GMT, "r_mervart"

    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

    >some
    >> >website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    >> >program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    >> >However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    >> >particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    >> >Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full reboot,
    >> >otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    >> >reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    >> >Thanks
    >> >Roman
    >> >

    >> See if this works:
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes and

    >click "OK"
    >> Work your way to:
    >>

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browse
    >NewProcess
    >>
    >> Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    >>
    >> This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't take

    >your systray with it.
    >>

    >I have checked that value and it is already set to "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    >(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
    >unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
    >
    >Roman

    Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language Bar"

    Unk, Jul 10, 2005
  8. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    <> wrote:

    > >"Unk" <> wrote in message

    > >some

    tray,

    and

    reboot,

    full

    > >> See if this works:
    > >>
    > >> Click Start, Run. In the Run box, type "regedit" without the quotes

    and
    > >click "OK"
    > >> Work your way to:
    > >>

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Brows

    > >NewProcess
    > >>
    > >> Change to: "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    > >>
    > >> This separates IE from the desktop so when it crashes, it shouldn't

    take
    > >your systray with it.
    > >>

    > >I have checked that value and it is already set to

    "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    > >(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
    > >unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
    > >
    > >Roman
    > >

    > Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language Bar"

    Hmm, there is not one to select. The only choices under Toolbars are
    Links, Address, DeskTop, Quick Launch (ticked) and then New Toolbar

    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 10, 2005
  9. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    > >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

    some
    > > website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    > > program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    > > However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar tray,
    > > particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    > > Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full

    reboot,
    > > otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    > > reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    > > Thanks
    > > Roman
    > >

    > Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are

    missing
    > after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.

    It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control Panel and
    then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
    "Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
    remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 10, 2005
  10. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > "Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:14:46 GMT, "r_mervart"

    > <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Unk" <> wrote in message

    >> >some

    > tray,

    > and

    > reboot,

    > full

    > and
    >> >click "OK"
    >> >>

    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Brows

    >> >NewProcess

    > take
    >> >your systray with it.
    >> >>
    >> >I have checked that value and it is already set to

    > "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    >> >(When it happens it does not take the whole systray with it but,
    >> >unfortunately, it wipes out the language switch)
    >> >
    >> >Roman
    >> >

    >> Just right-click the taskbar, select "Toolbars", and select "Language
    >> Bar"
    >>

    > Hmm, there is not one to select. The only choices under Toolbars are
    > Links, Address, DeskTop, Quick Launch (ticked) and then New Toolbar
    >
    > Roman

    That Language Bar is part of the newer MS Office software, not Windows
    itself. If you don't have Word or Excel (XP version or higher, IIRC), you
    won't have the Language Bar. Besides - that's on the taskbar, not the system
    tray.

    Which is why I was wondering what program you *DO* have that is creating the
    icon in the system tray.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2005
  11. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    >> >I am running WIN98SE. Sometimes, when I am in IE6 and trying to access

    > some
    >> > website it freezes with an error message and I can shut down just that
    >> > program but sometimes I have to reboot because the keyboard is dead.
    >> > However, even in the former case I loose some icons in the taskbar
    >> > tray,
    >> > particularly the language one which I use to switch between English and
    >> > Czech. In order to get this back I invariably have to do the full

    > reboot,
    >> > otherwise I am stuck in one language. Is there something else than full
    >> > reboot I could try to get all the icons back?
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Roman
    >> >

    >> Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are

    > missing
    >> after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.
    >>

    > It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control Panel
    > and
    > then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
    > "Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
    > remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
    > Roman

    So after the crash, rather than rebooting, go to that setting and turn it
    off, then back on. The icon might reappear if you do that. I don't have any
    way to test it ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 10, 2005
  12. r_mervart

    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > > some

    that

    and

    > > reboot,

    full

    > >> Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are

    > > missing
    > >> after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.
    > >>

    > > It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control Panel
    > > and
    > > then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
    > > "Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
    > > remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
    > > Roman
    > >

    > So after the crash, rather than rebooting, go to that setting and turn it
    > off, then back on. The icon might reappear if you do that. I don't have

    any
    > way to test it ;o)

    OK, I may or may not have done that before but will try it when it happens
    next time. I do not know the way to force this type of crash.
    Thanks
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 11, 2005
  13. r_mervart

    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > > some

    that

    and

    > > reboot,

    full

    > >> Do you have any idea what program generates the taskbar item you are

    > > missing
    > >> after the crash? Maybe it can be restarted.
    > >>

    > > It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control Panel
    > > and
    > > then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
    > > "Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
    > > remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
    > > Roman
    > >

    > So after the crash, rather than rebooting, go to that setting and turn it
    > off, then back on. The icon might reappear if you do that. I don't have

    any
    > way to test it ;o)

    That worked -:) By the way the this error message was desplayed this time,
    see new thread:
    This program [IE] has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 11, 2005
  14. r_mervart

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> > some

    > that

    > and
    >> > reboot,

    > full

    >> > missing
    >> >>
    >> > It is a standard Windows98 function that one sets up under Control
    >> > Panel
    >> > and
    >> > then Keyboard and then Language tab. In that Language window there is
    >> > "Enable indicator on taskbar" selection which is ticked. I believe it
    >> > remains ticked when it crashes and the little icon disappears.
    >> > Roman
    >> >

    >> So after the crash, rather than rebooting, go to that setting and turn it
    >> off, then back on. The icon might reappear if you do that. I don't have

    > any
    >> way to test it ;o)

    > That worked -:) By the way the this error message was desplayed this time,
    > see new thread:
    > This program [IE] has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down
    >
    > Roman

    Cool! Now maybe you'll have some good luck getting the real problem fixed.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 12, 2005
  15. r_mervart

    > "r_mervart" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "r_mervart" <> wrote in message

    > > that

    dead.

    English
    > > and

    > > full

    it

    > >> So after the crash, rather than rebooting, go to that setting and turn

    it
    > >> off, then back on. The icon might reappear if you do that. I don't have

    > > any
    > >> way to test it ;o)

    > > That worked -:) By the way the this error message was desplayed this

    time,
    > > see new thread:
    > > This program [IE] has performed an illegal operation and will be shut

    down

    > > Roman
    > >

    > Cool! Now maybe you'll have some good luck getting the real problem fixed.

    Will have a go at it
    Thanks
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 12, 2005